Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is a more desireable place to work, live, and raise a family?
Charlotte, NC 117 74.05%
Cleveland, OH 41 25.95%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2012, 11:39 PM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Dig up all of the links you want to, there seems to be much speculation
I love it. You've posted way more links than anyone in this thread. Even native Clevelanders have called you out for all of your sunshine pumping.

Quote:
... even confusion goin' on in Charlotte regarding its immediate future. The city's very own Chamber of Commerce painted a rather bleak picture for 2012, and yet ... all of you CHARLOTTE BOOSTERS living in your WORLD OF HOT AIR refuse to accept that Charlotte is still very much a city in trouble. I know it's hard to accept, but Cleveland is presently outperforming, outshining and gaining much more positive recognition than Charlotte.
So you can't refute the latest facts, so you continue with your mindless rants. I guess you've got to jump through all of those hoops to convince yourself.

Quote:
I've presented many positive FACTS that elude to the ongoing progress and prosperity that are re-shaping Cleveland. There are MASSES OF FOLKS who are returning back to Cleveland from culturally starved and boring cities like Charlotte, Raleigh, and the bland cities of the Floridian peninsula.
Yes, "masses of folks"...and that's why Cleveland continues to hemorrhage people and is on the verge of becoming dead last among Ohio's "Big Three" in metro area population.

Quote:
You're not goin' to see Charlotte ranking at # 2 out of the Top 30 Cities for Jobs, but you will find Cleveland in that spot. In fact, Charlotte didn't even make that list ... that's how dire the situation is.
I have no clue what list you're looking at, but according to the numbers from the BLS, Charlotte and Cleveland added a similar number of private-sector jobs in 2011--7,700 for Cleveland and 7,400 for Charlotte.

Again, as it has been proved again and again, Charlotte is nowhere near sinking as low as Cleveland has.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:22 AM

987 posts, read 1,303,916 times
I've hear Charlotte is a nice city but a tad boring, quite conservative, and very suburban.
Cleveland has it's share of problems but it is a very storied city with very nice architecture, neighbourhoods, a vibrant downtown, and a very lively arts community.
Depends on what you like but I think Cleveland is a better choice if you want to enjoy a true urban enviornment and all the choices that it offers.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I've hear Charlotte is a nice city but a tad boring, quite conservative, and very suburban.
The "boring" thing confuses me. Pretty much anything you can do in Cleveland, you can do in Charlotte--plus you've got access to some pretty varied daytrip destinations, from Charleston to Asheville. As far as the conservative thing goes, Charlotte is a reliably blue county; I'd say it's best described as moderate with a slight center left lean. And yes it does have sprawling suburbs, but it also has attractive inner-ring suburbs also. People make it seem as though all it has is the core, which is still developing, and the exurbs which is far from the truth. You'd get a better perspective yourself by visiting. If I skipped out on cities just based on what I heard, I would have missed out on some pretty great experiences.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:07 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,241,127 times

Beautiful photos of both cities ... despite all of the back -n- forth bull****, those of us who inhabit either city should be quite proud. There's never going to be one accord on this topic. Those of us who love Cleveland are going to strongly defend the city ... same goes for Charlotte. In closing, I want to say that I have only presented FACTUAL information that supports Cleveland being in a stronger position at 'the present time'. With all of the positive building development, redevelopment and people actually moving back to the city, (YES, IT IS QUITE TRUE) I see Cleveland's future as bright and very optimistic. The momentum in Cleveland is nothing short of incredible. There's no doubt that Charlotte WILL eventually regain some of its lost momentum in time.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,719,733 times
Quote:
Beautiful photos of both cities ... despite all of the back -n- forth bull****, those of us who inhabit either city should be quite proud. There's never going to be one accord on this topic. Those of us who love Cleveland are going to strongly defend the city ... same goes for Charlotte. In closing, I want to say that I have only presented FACTUAL information that supports Cleveland being in a stronger position at 'the present time'. With all of the positive building development, redevelopment and people actually moving back to the city, (YES, IT IS QUITE TRUE) I see Cleveland's future as bright and very optimistic. The momentum in Cleveland is nothing short of incredible. There's no doubt that Charlotte WILL eventually regain some of its lost momentum in time.
Can you explain something. What is this “lost momentum” you speak of? Charlotte was the fastest growing urban region in past decade, 2000 to 2010, and our metro is in the top five in job growth based on the latest numbers from the bureau of labor statistics. I’m sure your chamber would say Cleveland would kill to be in those positions. So again I ask, what is this lost momentum you’re talking about?

As a side note, the future is not looking to bright for Cleveland. In this Cities of the Future raking that notes “What cities are best positioned to grow and prosper in the coming decade?”, Cleveland looks pretty bleak compared to Charlotte: #8 Charlotte, NC-SC, #51Cleveland, OH The Next Boom Towns In The U.S. | Newgeography.com

Old 04-19-2012, 09:35 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,241,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The "boring" thing confuses me. Pretty much anything you can do in Cleveland, you can do in Charlotte--plus you've got access to some pretty varied daytrip destinations, from Charleston to Asheville. As far as the conservative thing goes, Charlotte is a reliably blue county; I'd say it's best described as moderate with a slight center left lean. And yes it does have sprawling suburbs, but it also has attractive inner-ring suburbs also. People make it seem as though all it has is the core, which is still developing, and the exurbs which is far from the truth. You'd get a better perspective yourself by visiting. If I skipped out on cities just based on what I heard, I would have missed out on some pretty great experiences.
Sorry, this post isn't quite true. There's plenty you can do in Cleveland, that you simply can't do in Charlotte. These include ...

A visit to one of America's top 5 art museums - Cleveland Museum of Art
The Cleveland Museum of Art
(The Mint Museum doesn't come anywhere close)

Take in a concert by the # 1 orchestra in the U.S. - Cleveland Orchestra
Home Page - Cleveland Orchestra

Experience Playhouse Square - the 2nd largest theatre / performing arts district in the world!
PlayhouseSquare :: Home

Receive the very best in WORLD ACCLAIMED healthcare - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland Clinic

Enjoy and participate in the recreational pleasures of Lake Erie!
(Please don't say Lake Norman - not a fair comparison)
Home | Ohio

Spend the day in University Circle - One square mile that boasts the largest concentration of world renowned museums and cultural venues, healthcare and higher education in the world!
University Circle | Cleveland Ohio | Arts & Culture, Education & Medical District

Visit the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Museum - Cleveland is the birthplace of Rock & Roll
[/b]http://rockhall.com/

Visit a NATIONAL PARK on the outskirts of the city - Cuyahoga Valley National Park
http://www.nps.gov/cuva/index.htm
(In Charlotte, the Great Smoky Mtns are hours away)

Find Yourself in the Circle! - YouTube

More Than Just a Show - a PlayhouseSquare story - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZyW36eN2bI

Of course, in Cleveland, we don't have the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

Last edited by JohnDBaumgardner; 04-19-2012 at 09:46 AM..

Old 04-19-2012, 09:39 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,038,622 times
Quote:
Sorry, this post isn't quite true. There's plenty you can do in Cleveland, that you simply can't do in Charlotte. These include ...

Experience Playhouse Square - the 2nd largest theatre / performing arts district in the world!

Cleveland Clinic

Home | Ohio

Spend the day in University Circle - One square mile that boasts the largest concentration of world renowned museums and cultural venues, healthcare and higher education in the world!
University Circle | Cleveland Ohio | Arts & Culture, Education & Medical District

Find Yourself in the Circle! - YouTube

More Than Just a Show - a PlayhouseSquare story - YouTube

The Cleveland Orchestra and Chorus - GO CAVS! - YouTube
Again,, you can do ALL those things in Charlotte on a daily basis plus more

Old 04-19-2012, 09:50 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,368,457 times
just to add to the contrast and a MAJOR factor when looking at cities are the schools....Charlotte Schools are far superior to Cleveland city schools, CMS won the award for the top urban schools district in US CMS Wins 2011 Broad Prize for Urban Education . Cleveland public schools for decades have been the achilles heal and would be a major reason for people not to want to move to the city. Years ago the State actually took over the managing of the school district. CMS graduation rate is about 10% higher than CLE. Poverty in CLE plays a big role in the schools performance with CLE being the 3rd poorest big city in US with a pverty rate of 34% (per census), 53% of people under 18 live in poverty.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:

Cleveland Clinic

Home | Ohio

Visit the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Museum - Cleveland is the birthplace of Rock & Roll
[/b]The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum | RockHall.com

Visit a NATIONAL PARK on the outskirts of the city - Cuyahoga Valley National Park
Cuyahoga Valley National Park - Cuyahoga Valley National Park
(In Charlotte, the Great Smoky Mtns are hours away)

Of course, in Cleveland, we don't have the NASCAR Hall of Fame.
Obviously the exact venues/places are different, but Charlotte has museums, an orchestra, ballet, nearby national parks, quality healthcare, an amusement park, etc.

Again, Cleveland doesn't offer anything unique that you can't get in Charlotte. The only exceptions are probably MLB and the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame, and like the NASCAR Hall of Fame in Charlotte, how many times are you really going to visit that as a resident???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.