Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 03:53 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
drier, yes

Much Drier (with emphasis on the much) nope. The stats don't show that.

Dallas is drier, but not THAT much drier.

Both will make the most people head for the AC once the summer rolls around.

It is drier enough to notice and the humidity in Houston persists into the winter.

Not talking about ac. Either town without it would be brutal.

It is a scientific fact, however, that I cannot have a good hair day in Houston, no matter the season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 08:47 PM

563 posts, read 910,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Dallas has better suburbs and when it comes to sports, Dallas wins in a landslide.

Neither city is pedestrian friendly but Dallas has better public transit.

In terms of weather, I prefer Houston. Dallas is cooler in the winter but hotter in the summer. Last summer Dallas spent over a month above 100 degrees. Although Houston is more humid, I prefer 90s over Dallas' summer temperatures.
I actually feel the exact opposite. I find Houston's summers more intolerable than Dallas. Dallas has higher average temps (by two degrees for two months) but once you figure in Houston's humidity you get the same heat indexes. The temps in Houston/Dallas might be 98/101 but the heat indexes are 104/103. I guess the biggest difference you will notice is that the heated moisture finds you even when you are in the shade and when you sweat it doesn't evaporate therefore hampering you bodies only cooling mechanism. Add in the fact that Houston lacks Dallas' dry afternoon breeze and you have an uncomfortable situation.

I don't mean to scare the OP but when you sweat at 65 degrees and think "working away the heat" until the seasons change will work in Anywhere, TX, you have another thing coming. Just when you thought you've had enough and have gotten to the point where you beg God "Please, just drop the temperature to 90 tomorrow and throw in a breeze" you look at the calender only to find it's mid July and you still have 2+ months of summer (4+ months for you given your sweating point). How's that for a welcome wagon.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:29 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
Moral of story: calling Dallas a much better sports city than Houston is silly. Reality is they are pretty much about the same and compared to other cities, only somewhere in the middle in terms of quality. Nowhere near the level of Chicago, New York, Philly, Boston, etc. and much better than Atlanta, Miami, Tampa, etc.
They're not the same, not even close(I wish that wasn't the case). I would think ESPN would have a better gauge on sports cities and so far Boston, New York, LA, Chicago and DFW are the only ones that have their own dedicated coverage DALLAS sports, Dallas-Fort Worth sports news - ESPN Dallas

Get back to me when the H-town gets one

Last edited by usc619; 04-06-2012 at 11:37 PM..

Old 04-06-2012, 11:46 PM

385 posts, read 967,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
They're not the same, not even close(I wish that wasn't the case). I would think ESPN would have a better gauge on sports cities and so far Boston, New York, LA, Chicago and DFW are the only ones that have their own dedicated coverage DALLAS sports, Dallas-Fort Worth sports news - ESPN Dallas

Philly is a way better 'sports city' than Dallas and they don't have dedicated ESPN coverage.

dallas teams have had more recent success than Houston, but success in sports is cyclical(besides the Yankees).
The only way I'd say Dallas is better than Houston for sports is if you are a Hockey Fan.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:24 AM

613 posts, read 1,002,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post

That's cute that you think ESPN is judging sports quality of towns when they set up local coverage. It is all about money which means sites that will get the most hits. DFW had one because:

1. Taking into account the entire metroplex, DFW has a larger population than Houston, and

2. More importantly, the Cowboys have a huge following across the country so the site gets more hits than would normally be the case

Old 04-07-2012, 07:23 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebor79 View Post
Philly is a way better 'sports city' than Dallas and they don't have dedicated ESPN coverage.

dallas teams have had more recent success than Houston, but success in sports is cyclical(besides the Yankees).
The only way I'd say Dallas is better than Houston for sports is if you are a Hockey Fan.
Philly? What the heck is in Philly?

Old 04-07-2012, 08:11 AM

998 posts, read 1,324,850 times
Quote:
I wouldn't call one city a better sports city than another based on how teams are currently performing.
I didn't base it only on how teams are currently performing but if a sports fan is considering relocation NOW, then history means nothing (eventhough that would still benefit the Cowboys)

As I stated, in addition to having 4 major sports franchises (all have won championships or were a finalist), Dallas wins over Houston in being able to check out better college games as well. In recent years, LSU,Oregon, OU,Texas,Arkansas have all played in the Metroplex. Add in the fact that Alabama and Michigan will host a game in DFW this year. Houston's college slate cannot compete with that. The better high school football (and basketball) programs in Texas are in DFW as well.

Besides the fact that I like Toyota Center and Minute Maid Park better than their north texas counterparts, I cant think of anything sports related where Houston is better than Dallas. I'd surmise that most Houstonians here can't either thats why the themes of most of responses are "Houston and Dallas are the same in terms of sports", or"they are neck and neck".

Quote:
Moral of story: calling Dallas a much better sports city than Houston is silly. Reality is they are pretty much about the same and compared to other cities, only somewhere in the middle in terms of quality. Nowhere near the level of Chicago, New York, Philly, Boston, etc. and much better than Atlanta, Miami, Tampa, etc.

Moral of the story: While Dallas isnt nearly on the level of Chicago,NYC,Boston,etc it is clearly ahead of Houston in this regard. Its silly to allow civic pride to make you believe otherwise.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:38 AM

I have no civic pride. I am a native Chicagoan. I closely follow the Texans and the Dynamo. I have a passing interest in the Astros. I am ambivalent towards the Rockets.

I'll say again, there is no material difference between Houston and Dallas on this front. You want to bring in non-franchise things like college fb, fine. I'll see your college FB and raise you the Final Four in 2011 and 2016, the NBA all-star game 3x as often as Dallas, the Shell Houston Open, 3x host of the MLB all-star game to 1x for Dallas. Houston also more frequently hosts international soccer events at both the club and national level, international rugby events (for example the upcoming US vs. Italy match).

I could go on, but the point is: both cities have good events outside of the franchises, both cities have a similar quality of fan base, both cities have decent franchises, both cities have great stadiums (although Dynamo stadium kicks the crap out of FC Dallas stadium). No material difference when you add it all up.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:18 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,917 times
Quote:
That's cute that you think ESPN is judging sports quality of towns when they set up local coverage. It is all about money which means sites that will get the most hits. DFW had one because:

1. Taking into account the entire metroplex, DFW has a larger population than Houston, and

2. More importantly, the Cowboys have a huge following across the country so the site gets more hits than would normally be the case
I guess well have to agree to disagree, that being said I'll take ESPN's judging on sports cities over anyone in this thread lol.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:02 AM

Again, ESPN isn't judging sports cities. If they were, then there would be an ESPN Philadelphia and an ESPN Pittsburgh - both are infinitely better sports cities with far more dedicated fans than Dallas is. You understand that ESPN is a business, yes? You understand that their objective is to make money, not establish website for the cities that they think are the best sports cities, yes? The fact that there is an ESPN Los Angeles should be your first clue; LA is one of the worst sports cities in the country. ESPN DFW is all about making money.

Again, this is because of the very broad national audience for the Cowboys and the fact that when you take into account the entire metroplex, it is the 4th highest populated area in the country. This isn't a very difficult concept so I don't see where there is anything to "agree to disagree" about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City