Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite city center?
Downtown Los Angeles 14 63.64%
Downtown Atlanta 9 40.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 01:57 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,972 times

Advertisements

Which of these city centers do you like the most: Downtown Los Angeles (CA) Downtown Atlanta (GA)? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 04:53 PM

151 posts, read 739,558 times
Since you made it so you could vote for both, I voted for both.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:25 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,315 times
Um.. I dont think the 2 even compare.. I voted L.A.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:06 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonofillfaith View Post
Um.. I dont think the 2 even compare.. I voted L.A.

why don't they compare? LA's "downtown" (which is what is being asked) is abysmal for a city its size.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:40 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,236,297 times
There is absolutely no comparison. Downtown Los Angeles by far. Bigger, more residence, more people, more restaurants, way more shopping. LA's fashion/garment district alone will blow any dt Atlanta shopping away. Architecturally I love the grand old theaters in dt LA which for some are being turned into condo lofts. I also love Broadway. Dt Atlanta was a disappointment. Small, quiet, not much street life or people. The new aquarium is nice, and a few nice hotels but it needs so much more.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:50 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,446,304 times
What DT Atlanta shopping? All the department stores are closed.

I like DT Los Angeles because outside of the skyscraper areas, there are buildings that were built around the turn of the 20th century. It feels like an old city with its small town architecture. Los Angeles in general has old buildings testifying to its desirability early on.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:36 AM

234 posts, read 1,157,813 times
lol i bet futurecop and steve-o voted for atlanta

Old 09-15-2007, 01:19 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,754 times
I've never been to downtown LA but based on pictures and things I've read on the net, while not one of Americas best, it has an edge over Atlantas. Atlanta's downtown suffers from sprawl more than LAs because it's population is spread even thinner. Most of the better restaraunts, shopping, and hotels in Atlanta are all located in Midtown or Buckhead. In fact all the major department stores have left downtown Atlanta.

There are some bright spots though. The new aquarium and Centennial Park are very popular. New hotels, condos, and lofts are being built and planned for downtown. Also Georgia State University downtown is expanding and major streetscape improvements are going on around it. All in all downtown Atlanta still has a long way to go.

With the Midtown Mile, Peachtree Streetcar, and other developments all underway for Midtown Atlanta I could possibly see it eclipsing downtown as more important even though there are more offices located in downtown.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:36 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,034,963 times
Of course you can guess which one I voted for. It's not that I'm biased because Atlanta is my hometown, since L.A.'s downtown is cool, but I feel that Atlanta's downtown is more pleasing to the eye. It has better architecture like the Westin Peachtree and Bank of America Tower (I am including Midtown ATL as part of downtown, since they are right next to each other). As I've mentioned before, Atlanta looks like a cleaner, greener version of L.A. Some parts of dtATL are run down, but the Centennial Park/CNN Center/Aquarium area is nice.

I must say that downtown L.A. has been coming up in the last 5-10 years. Before it was just a business/financial area while everything to do was in or around Hollywood. Ever since they built the orchestra center and added a few other attractions there, it has become a more exciting place to visit. The mass transit system there is also getting better with the Metro Red Line (subway). It still doesn't compare to Manhatten though, but I think it's becoming more like it.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:08 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,315 times
tahiti:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
There is absolutely no comparison. Downtown Los Angeles by far. Bigger, more residence, more people, more restaurants, way more shopping. LA's fashion/garment district alone will blow any dt Atlanta shopping away. Architecturally I love the grand old theaters in dt LA which for some are being turned into condo lofts. I also love Broadway. Dt Atlanta was a disappointment. Small, quiet, not much street life or people. The new aquarium is nice, and a few nice hotels but it needs so much more.
Couldnt have said it better myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City