Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:51 AM

46 posts, read 184,602 times

Advertisements

Just popped into my head today...they are both "smaller" cities, both "southern" (though that may be arguable?)....I've been to Richmond but not Louisville. I was wondering if anyone who's been to both has some thoughts on basic differences.

Some things I know/assume:
Richmond--higher crime rate
Both have university presence
Both have an artsy side--but not sure which city's art scene is more thriving, maybe Richmond's?
Lots of tattoos and hipsters in Richmond. LOTS!
Which has more transplants/transient souls?
Music scene comparisons, if known? I know Richmond has a decent music scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 01:45 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,478 times
Interesting, I didn't realize Richmond, VA had such a large metro population!

Louisville: 1.27 million
Richmond: 1.24 million

Learned something new today.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:00 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Nice profiles on both cities:

Learning from Richmond | Metro Jacksonville

Elements of Urbanism: Louisville | Metro Jacksonville

Old 04-10-2012, 04:57 PM

46 posts, read 184,602 times
Interesting links...cool. And woah, I had no idea they had such similar population figures..

Old 04-10-2012, 04:58 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Both cities have great punk/indie scenes.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b007 View Post
Interesting links...cool. And woah, I had no idea they had such similar population figures..
Yep. According to the 2011 estimates, Louisville is the 42nd largest MSA in the country at 1.29 million and Richmond is the 44th largest at 1.27 million.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:46 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
Size similarities notwithstanding, Richmond spanks Louisville. Richmond has more population density, is a Gamma world city, is a national post in Federal government, has multiple universities (and VCU is more renown than Louisville), has the most retailers per capita in the US, has more high end luxury shopping, more affluent culture, more cultural diversity, has 4 of the 20 largest law firms in America, equal number of festivals and events--all of this while the city technically has half a million fewer people than Louisville and takes up 300 square miles less than Louisville. All you have to do is ask yourself: with Louisville having such a pronounced size advantage in population and area, what does it offer that Richmond does not? The answer is nothing, and Richmond offers equal or greater amounts. With the exception of both being considered "fringe" Southern cities with historical importance and a lively present day arts scene, they have nothing in common, as Richmond is several tiers above Louisville...

Old 04-15-2012, 11:36 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Size similarities notwithstanding, Richmond spanks Louisville. Richmond has more population density, is a Gamma world city, is a national post in Federal government, has multiple universities (and VCU is more renown than Louisville), has the most retailers per capita in the US, has more high end luxury shopping, more affluent culture, more cultural diversity, has 4 of the 20 largest law firms in America, equal number of festivals and events--all of this while the city technically has half a million fewer people than Louisville and takes up 300 square miles less than Louisville. All you have to do is ask yourself: with Louisville having such a pronounced size advantage in population and area, what does it offer that Richmond does not? The answer is nothing, and Richmond offers equal or greater amounts. With the exception of both being considered "fringe" Southern cities with historical importance and a lively present day arts scene, they have nothing in common, as Richmond is several tiers above Louisville...
As a native of KY, former resident of Louisville and graduate of the U. of Louisville, I fully concur with the above assessment.

Louisville is the most important city in Kentucky and the attitude of the people that live there emphasizes that you know that! Richmond is competitive with much larger metros like Cincinnati and St. Louis, still closer to DC/NoVA and VA Beach/Norfolk, and yet is still greatly overshadowed by a much larger metro (NoVA suburbs of DC) in its own state. I'd gladly consider Virginia if I were to live on the East Coast (my only concern is the rigid law enforcement there, but that's for another thread).

Old 04-15-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
This is pretty boosterish and you keep making mention of municipal populations when it is the LEAST relevant metric to use when comparing metros, so all this talk about most retailers per capita and pronounced size advantage in population is pretty much irrelevant. As far as VCU being more renowned than Louisville, I'd like to see a verifiable source on that one. USNWR rankings has Louisville at #164 nationally and VCU at #170--neither one is exactly "renowned" in that sense, unless you're talking about specific programs and in that case, that would only apply in certain circles.

You make a whooooole lot of that "Gamma world city" thing when it doesn't really mean a whole lot if you're not a Beta city or above.

How do you come to the conclusion that Richmond has "more affluent culture" and "more cultural diversity" than Louisville?

Listen, I actually like Richmond and think it's generally underrated, but you are clearly going to the extreme in your homerism. Richmond is not "several tiers above Louisville." That's the most asinine thing I've ever read. They are peer cities in practically every respect and whatever edge one has over the other, it isn't by much.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:42 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
The last several days I've gotten off my "homer" stuff, so I'll agree with you there. It is my hometown, generally speaking, and maybe I have gotten a little carried away. But I am well traveled. I havent been to Louisville, benn thru there only...

I think that you are pretty insistent in downplaying the GaWC rankings yourself. If it was obsolete it wouldnt be there, and I think the fact that Richmond is now considered Gamma, whereas it wasnt before, is a credit to the city's economy and growth. I may have put too much emphasis on it, but I believe you and others put too little on it. The potential to become a city of greater note is evidenced by the fact it is recgnized as a Gamma now...

Also, you say population doesnt matter, and thats fine. Your opinion. But yet again I think you downplay the significance of Richmond being much smaller across the board to cities like Louisville, or Nashville, or Raleigh, but neither of these cities are more urban, feel more urban, or blow Richmond out the in any venue the way some on CD would suggest. And to me, thats directly tied into population. If you have half a million, 600, 700 thousand people, but generally your cultural amenities (shopping, arts, sports, education) and strength of economy and governance are equal or near equal to a city of less than a quarter million, you tell me which city is more progressive?

I agree with you a little, Mutiny77. But I believe you do seem to automatically side with the larger cities...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City