Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Capital of Hispanic America?
Dallas 4 1.70%
Denver 4 1.70%
Houston 16 6.81%
LA 109 46.38%
Miami 115 48.94%
San Antonio 25 10.64%
San Diego 10 4.26%
Other 18 7.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 09:49 PM

637 posts, read 1,014,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

Not really. If you look that this map (Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com), you'll see that very few neighborhoods have over an 80% Hispanic population, and for the few that do, it's just a small pocket and the rest of the neighborhood is mixed. In the South Bronx, it's Hispanics and Blacks. In areas like Sunset Park and Elmhurst, it's Hispanics and Asians. In some parts of the East Bronx, it's Hispanics and Whites. And then you have mixed neighborhoods like Astoria, Jackson Heights, etc.
Agree to disagree, but the Hispanic neighborhoods in the Tri-State Area are DEFINITELY noticeable. That map doesn't make it look clear, but here is a clearer one:

http://web.gc.cuny.edu/lastudies/lat...20-%202010.pdf

If you look on page 13, almost the ENTIRETY of the Bronx is covered with tracts that are more than 51% Hispanic, along with Washington Heights and Spanish Harlem, the Corona to East Elmhurst corridor, Sunset Park West, and even a few tracts in the northern part of SI.

Quote:
You do have a few areas like Union City, NJ, or some neighborhoods like Corona, but our Hispanic population is pretty well-integrated into the rest of the population. I definitely wouldn't say it's worse than LA as far as segregation, or at least noticably so.
While I agree that there is social interaction across races, there are definitely a lot of neighborhoods where the Hispanic population is very noticeable.

In LA, "Hispanic" is just a term that means Mexican. There are maybe only one or two "Hispanic" neighborhoods that are populated with groups that aren't Mexican (Westlake and Pico-Union comes to mind), but for the most part, it really is just Mexican.

In NYC, the Hispanic population is more all encompassing.

Quote:
Denver shouldn't be up there either.
Agreed. Denver? Seriously?

Quote:
In any case, I'm Hispanic and live in NYC, and the first city that came to mind was Miami, hands-down. I went down there twice, and I was thinking to myself "Good thing I know Spanish", because the Latin American influence was very prevalent. Definitely moreso than here in NYC.

As for LA, I could see it just in terms of numbers, but I don't think the Hispanics there have the political power like in Miami. The same thing for NYC (and at 29% Hispanic, it's not like its Hispanic population is influential in local politics either)
Again, I've said this about Miami: It's a Latin American city and society that's transplanted onto Anglo-American soil.

All I really wanted is the recognition for NYC to at least be in the conversation with Miami and LA. A lot of the LA and California posters don't seem to think so, which is intellectually insulting, given not only the large Latin American community of NYC, but the sheer diversity of the Latin American community, which is way more encompassing than the 80% Mexican community of LA's Latinos.

4.7 million Latinos live in and around NYC, which means nearly 1 OUT OF 10 Latinos in the United States live around NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 11:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,126,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
1) Agree to disagree, but the Hispanic neighborhoods in the Tri-State Area are DEFINITELY noticeable. That map doesn't make it look clear, but here is a clearer one:

http://web.gc.cuny.edu/lastudies/lat...20-%202010.pdf

If you look on page 13, almost the ENTIRETY of the Bronx is covered with tracts that are more than 51% Hispanic, along with Washington Heights and Spanish Harlem, the Corona to East Elmhurst corridor, Sunset Park West, and even a few tracts in the northern part of SI.

2) While I agree that there is social interaction across races, there are definitely a lot of neighborhoods where the Hispanic population is very noticeable.

3) In LA, "Hispanic" is just a term that means Mexican. There are maybe only one or two "Hispanic" neighborhoods that are populated with groups that aren't Mexican (Westlake and Pico-Union comes to mind), but for the most part, it really is just Mexican.

In NYC, the Hispanic population is more all encompassing.

4) Again, I've said this about Miami: It's a Latin American city and society that's transplanted onto Anglo-American soil.

All I really wanted is the recognition for NYC to at least be in the conversation with Miami and LA. A lot of the LA and California posters don't seem to think so, which is intellectually insulting, given not only the large Latin American community of NYC, but the sheer diversity of the Latin American community, which is way more encompassing than the 80% Mexican community of LA's Latinos.

4.7 million Latinos live in and around NYC, which means nearly 1 OUT OF 10 Latinos in the United States live around NYC.
1) Believe me, man. I know my own city.

In any case, the thing is that it goes from 51% to 85%, and there are a lot of areas that are maybe 50-60% Hispanic, but there is still a noticable prescence of another group (or groups) in the neighborhood. In the West Bronx, a lot of areas are say 70% Hispanic, and 30% Black. And the thing is that not all majority Hispanic areas are seen as such. I live in SI, and one of those tracts on the North Shore is still seen as a Black neighborhood because it only barely has a Hispanic majority (51%).

My point is that it makes no distinction between areas that barely have a Hispanic majority, and those that are heavily Hispanic (so 51% is shaded the same as 84%). Plus, you have to look at the other neighborhoods as well. There are a lot of areas that are say, 30 or 40% Hispanic. You can't just look at the heavy concentration in certain areas and say that Hispanics are automatically segregated in this city. For every area that's like western Sunset Park (90% Hispanic), there's an area like some parts of the North Shore of SI (30-40% Hispanic)

2) Well, I will agree with you in that regard. I'm just saying that we're not all concentrated in certain areas.

3) Good point.

4) I'll get back to you on that.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:55 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrocrag View Post
Adding Miami for comparison:

Miami-Dade County (total Hispanics: 1,623,859) 15 groups over 10k

Cuban 856,007
Colombian 114,701
Nicaraguan 105,495
Puerto Rican 92,358
Other Hispanic 65,092
Dominican Republic 57,999
Honduran 54,192
Mexican 51,736
Venezuelan 46,851
Peruvian 40,701
Argentinian 28,612
Ecuadorian 19,832
Guatemalan 19,771
Salvadoran 17,695
Chilean 11,452

South Florida (total Hispanics: 2,312,929) 18 groups over 10k

Cuban 982,758
Puerto Rican 207,727
Colombian 204,198
Mexican 130,794
Nicaraguan 118,768
Other Hispanic 100,830
Dominican 95,966
Venezuelan 75,235
Honduran 74,357
Peruvian 71,886
Guatemalan 47,699
Argentinian 44,003
Ecuadorian 37,029
Salvadoran 33,033
Chilean 17,161
Panamanian 13,529
Costa Rican 11,528
Uruguayan 11,081
Pretty much backs up what I said. What SoFla lacks in sheer numbers it more than makes up in percentage. And what it lacks in percentage it makes up in sheer numbers. Miami has the perfect combo of both. NYC slightly has more groups with 10k and more(NYC 19 to SoFla's 18). But SoFla definitely has it on the percentage tip, given how much smaller it is than the tri-state area(SoFla: 5.6million. Tri-State: 18million). Dade County by it's self, with out the help from the rest of the metro has 15 groups 10k and above. As a state, Florida's probably the most diverse as a whole given the fact some of those numbers of some of those nationalities are even higher in different cities in the state(Orlando, Tampa: Puerto Ricans/Dominicans).

Old 04-12-2012, 10:21 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,044,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge112597 View Post
some parts of LA feels like your in a diffrent country, even local supermarkets and gas stations have translations in spanish, and are even written in spanish. spanish is the common language in those parts of the city.
Same with the Bronx and Upper Manhattan.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
1) Believe me, man. I know my own city.

In any case, the thing is that it goes from 51% to 85%, and there are a lot of areas that are maybe 50-60% Hispanic, but there is still a noticable prescence of another group (or groups) in the neighborhood. In the West Bronx, a lot of areas are say 70% Hispanic, and 30% Black. And the thing is that not all majority Hispanic areas are seen as such. I live in SI, and one of those tracts on the North Shore is still seen as a Black neighborhood because it only barely has a Hispanic majority (51%).

My point is that it makes no distinction between areas that barely have a Hispanic majority, and those that are heavily Hispanic (so 51% is shaded the same as 84%). Plus, you have to look at the other neighborhoods as well. There are a lot of areas that are say, 30 or 40% Hispanic. You can't just look at the heavy concentration in certain areas and say that Hispanics are automatically segregated in this city. For every area that's like western Sunset Park (90% Hispanic), there's an area like some parts of the North Shore of SI (30-40% Hispanic)
Fair enough. Where on SI do you live? I'm frequently along Castleton and the Port Richmond area, and it actually shocked me how that part of SI actually has a decent Black/Latino population, despite the fact perceptions of SI are basically of an Italian outpost.

You're right in that many of the "Hispanic" neighborhoods aren't seen as such primarily yet, but those things take a bit of time to change. It's really only been in the last 30 years that many of these neighborhoods have begun to shift primarily into a Hispanic character.

It may shock most people here but The Bronx is actually majority Hispanic, even though outside of NYC its known as being primarily African American. There is no county in the LA area that is majority Hispanic, though one could cut one out. Considering that the Bronx is nowhere NEAR Latin America, that is mightly impressive.

And unlike LA and even Miami to an extent, there really is not a primary Latin nationality. Puerto Ricans make up a plurality, but there is also a large Dominican population, along with a growing Mexican and Central American presence.

How this compares to Miami, it most likely doesn't because the mindset there is really shifted toward Latin America, but in terms of the United States, NYC does come close or even surpasses Los Angeles at this point in time IMO.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. Where on SI do you live? I'm frequently along Castleton and the Port Richmond area, and it actually shocked me how that part of SI actually has a decent Black/Latino population, despite the fact perceptions of SI are basically of an Italian outpost.

You're right in that many of the "Hispanic" neighborhoods aren't seen as such primarily yet, but those things take a bit of time to change. It's really only been in the last 30 years that many of these neighborhoods have begun to shift primarily into a Hispanic character.

It may shock most people here but The Bronx is actually majority Hispanic, even though outside of NYC its known as being primarily African American. There is no county in the LA area that is majority Hispanic, though one could cut one out. Considering that the Bronx is nowhere NEAR Latin America, that is mightly impressive.

And unlike LA and even Miami to an extent, there really is not a primary Latin nationality. Puerto Ricans make up a plurality, but there is also a large Dominican population, along with a growing Mexican and Central American presence.

How this compares to Miami, it most likely doesn't because the mindset there is really shifted toward Latin America, but in terms of the United States, NYC does come close or even surpasses Los Angeles at this point in time IMO.
I live a little bit south of there, so I'm in Port Richmond a lot too. Port Richmond is known for being a Hispanic area, but the surrounding areas aren't seen as such (I mean, I don't know what goes through people's minds, so I can only speculate, but everybody assumes most of the rest of the Far North Shore is predominantly Black).

And you do have a point about perceptions of The Bronx. Actually, we do have some small cities (they're suburbs, but they're dense suburbs) surrounding NYC that have a large Hispanic population. Paterson and the surrounding areas have a large South American population, which like you said is pretty impressive considering how far north we are.

A few pages back, somebody mentioned that cities could be classified with a tier system, which I think it a pretty good idea. So Miami would get the 1st tier designation it deserves, but cities like LA and NYC would at least get into the conversation, like you mentioned.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I live a little bit south of there, so I'm in Port Richmond a lot too. Port Richmond is known for being a Hispanic area, but the surrounding areas aren't seen as such (I mean, I don't know what goes through people's minds, so I can only speculate, but everybody assumes most of the rest of the Far North Shore is predominantly Black).

And you do have a point about perceptions of The Bronx. Actually, we do have some small cities (they're suburbs, but they're dense suburbs) surrounding NYC that have a large Hispanic population. Paterson and the surrounding areas have a large South American population, which like you said is pretty impressive considering how far north we are.

A few pages back, somebody mentioned that cities could be classified with a tier system, which I think it a pretty good idea. So Miami would get the 1st tier designation it deserves, but cities like LA and NYC would at least get into the conversation, like you mentioned.
Yeah, I remember that nearer to the SI Ferry/St. George Area of Staten Island, there are actually a few Dominican hairstylists that are there. However, since many of the Latinos that do live there are Dominican (with some Puerto Ricans, of course) their African features may commonly mistake them with the regular African American blacks, which also feeds into the perception that an area like Port Richmond, North Shore of SI, and even the Bronx is primarily Black when it's in fact not.

There are small cities all over the NY metro area that have Hispanic majorities, such as the ones you have mentioned, but also Perth Amboy, Elizabeth, Carteret Union City, NJ; West New York, NJ; a huge chunk of Jersey City (really, all of Hudson County), a huge chunk of Essex, Hunterdon, and Passaic Counties, and even a lot of Long Island communities.

Hispanics are all over the NY metro area in a way that most people don't recognize yet, even though the Tri-State Area as a whole is ~22% Hispanic.

I take somewhat offense from all the LA posters that keep insinuating that "NYC doesn't come close" or "No one knows about the Hispanics in NYC" when nearly 1 in 10 U.S. Latinos (of many different origins) live in and around NYC.

Miami, at least in the continental United States, probably should win this thread though.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I remember that nearer to the SI Ferry/St. George Area of Staten Island, there are actually a few Dominican hairstylists that are there. However, since many of the Latinos that do live there are Dominican (with some Puerto Ricans, of course) their African features may commonly mistake them with the regular African American blacks, which also feeds into the perception that an area like Port Richmond, North Shore of SI, and even the Bronx is primarily Black when it's in fact not.

There are small cities all over the NY metro area that have Hispanic majorities, such as the ones you have mentioned, but also Perth Amboy, Elizabeth, Carteret, Union City, NJ; West New York, NJ; a huge chunk of Jersey City (really, all of Hudson County), a huge chunk of Essex, Hunterdon, and Passaic Counties, and even a lot of Long Island communities.

Hispanics are all over the NY metro area in a way that most people don't recognize yet, even though the Tri-State Area as a whole is ~22% Hispanic.

I take somewhat offense from all the LA posters that keep insinuating that "NYC doesn't come close" or "No one knows about the Hispanics in NYC" when nearly 1 in 10 U.S. Latinos (of many different origins) live in and around NYC.

Miami, at least in the continental United States, probably should win this thread though.
SI's Hispanic population is mostly Puerto Rican and Mexican. Here's a map of the different Hispanic populations: Hispanic Origins Across NYC | WNYC

But being a Carribean island, I've seen a lot of Puerto Ricans with dark skin and Africanized features, so it's the same point whether it's Puerto Ricans or Dominicans that are the largest Hispanic group there.

And yeah, I know about Perth Amboy and all those cities, but I was just talking about the South American populations, and I know South Americans make up a large portion of Hispanics in those areas I mentioned (pretty much the urban areas in Passaic County). I'm not sure of the breakdown of Hispanic groups in cities like Elizabeth and Perth Amboy. I know Union City has a lot of Cubans, though.

But yeah, all those cities have Hispanic majorities (though I'm not sure about Carteret). We even have a few Hispanic suburbs in the NY area (Dover, NJ and Brentwood/Central Islip, LI)

Alright, well you've convinced me of NYC at least meriting a mention in this thread. Now if we could find a way to replace Denver with NYC in the poll, we'd be set.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:16 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,922 times
Quote:
You realize Miami Beach is on an island as is Brooklyn and Queens.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:58 PM

814 posts, read 1,474,654 times
Quote:

There are small cities all over the NY metro area that have Hispanic majorities, such as the ones you have mentioned, but also Perth Amboy, Elizabeth, Carteret Union City, NJ; West New York, NJ; a huge chunk of Jersey City (really, all of Hudson County), a huge chunk of Essex, Hunterdon, and Passaic Counties, and even a lot of Long Island communities.

It is also interesting when you look at some of the places in Fairfield County of Connecticut. Places like Brideport are almost 40% hispanic, Danbury is 25%, Norwalk is 25%, and Stamford is 24%. These are all cities ranging in population from 80,000 to 145,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City