Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Capital of Hispanic America?
Dallas 4 1.70%
Denver 4 1.70%
Houston 16 6.81%
LA 109 46.38%
Miami 115 48.94%
San Antonio 25 10.64%
San Diego 10 4.26%
Other 18 7.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 04:02 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrocrag View Post
And besides, it's not as if Miami & NYC don't have large Mexican communities in their own right.
And remember that most cities are becoming more and more Mexican and will continue to become so for the foreseeable future. The Dominicans in NYC are nervous about being overtaken by Mexicans. That's how rapid the growth of the Mexican population has been in the NYC Metro area.

On the other hand, most cities are not becoming increasingly more Puerto Rican, Dominican, Cuban, Ecuadorean, Colombian, Venezuelan and Honduran. It's very unlikely that other cities will ever achieve the same balance as NYC or Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 04:10 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And if the thread were called "Which U.S. City Has the Most Spanish Speakers," then your point would have merit. But it's not. Unfortunately for LA boosters, the thread is asking about the capital for all Hispanics, not just Mexicans.

Why don't you just start a thread called "Which U.S. City is the Capital of Mexican America?" and raise all of the points you've previously articulated?
Is that what this thread is entitled? Because on my screen it reads "Capital of Hispanic America?". There is no qualification or criteria.

There are more Hispanics here than anywhere else in the US. Sounds like it would be a good candidate for “Capital of Hispanic America”.

You might WANT the thread title to read some other way, but it simply doesn't. If you were to apply the same torque to your definitions as you do to your shorts, we could avoid this unpleasantry.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:23 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Is that what this thread is entitled? Because on my screen it reads "Capital of Hispanic America?". There is no qualification or criteria.
Well, if I grew up around nothing but Mexicans, I would probably assume that there was nothing more to the Hispanic disapora as well. And if I grew up around nothing but blacks from Louisiana and Texas, I would probably assume that all blacks spoke English, ate soul food, and enjoyed reruns of Meet the Browns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
You might WANT the thread title to read some other way, but it simply doesn't. If you were to apply the same torque to your definitions as you do to your shorts, we could avoid this unpleasantry.
You need to issue the perfunctory "No homo!" here.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:31 PM

248 posts, read 288,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee;[URL="tel:23886108"
23886108 (tel:23886108 - broken link)[/url]]But 80 percent of Latin America is not Mexican. If we exclude the 190 million people in Brazil, then the Mexican population represents 39 percent of the Spanish-speaking population in Latin America. 14 percent (NYC) is closer to 39 percent than 80 percent, no?
No . Mexicans may not be 80% of Latin America the same way US is not 80% of the American continent yet it dominates it without a doubt, doesn't it?

Mexico and Mexican culture dominates Latin America the same way Mexican dominate Hispanic culture in the US. Compared to Mexicans in the US both Cubans and Puertoricans are marginal.

Trust me, when you shoot commercials targeting Latin American you dont want the speakers to sound Puertorican or Cuban. You want them to sound Mexican not only because it is understandable to all Latinos but also because the entire continent is used to the accent from Mexican telenovelas and music.

For that reason neither New York nor Miami is the gateway to Latin America. More likely it would be LA or San Antonio the same way Mexico City and not Bogotá or Havana is credited with being the cultural center and prime city of Latin America.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Well, if I grew up around nothing but Mexicans, I would probably assume that there was nothing more to the Hispanic disapora as well. And if I grew up around nothing but blacks from Louisiana and Texas, I would probably assume that all blacks spoke English, ate soul food, and enjoyed reruns of Meet the Browns.
Are you able to read simple sentences in either of your alternative childhood hypotheticals?

Old 04-16-2012, 04:38 PM

248 posts, read 288,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee;[color=violet
23889526[/color] (tel:23889526 - broken link)]Well, if I grew up around nothing but Mexicans, I would probably assume that there was nothing more to the Hispanic disapora as well. .
63% of all Hispanics are Mexicans. The next group Puertoricans represent measly some 10% of Hispanic population.
You can easily say most Hispanics are Mexicans and they clearly dominate the Hispanic culture in the US, can't you?

As a matter of fact Mexicans dominate Hispanic culture on the entire continent while Mexico City is generally considered the capitol of Latin America.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristann View Post
63% of all Hispanics are Mexicans. The next group Puertoricans represent measly some 10% of Hispanic population. You can easily say most Hispanics are Mexicans and they clearly dominate the Hispanic culture in the US, can't you?

As a matter of fact Mexicans dominate Hispanic culture on the entire continent while Mexico City is generally considered the capitol of Latin America.
Or another way, the face of "Hispanic America" is predominantely Mexican. And in answering the question asked by the title of this thread, Mexicans comprise 63% of "Hispanic America".

Old 04-16-2012, 05:13 PM

637 posts, read 1,014,661 times
You know, its sort of funny how the vast majority of people in this thread probably "no habla espanol" and yet pontificate on what the face of Hispanic America is, despite lacking the foundation or knowledge of the social cleavages that exist in Latin America.

Yeah, I bet you some "chilangos" (lets see how many people know what that is) dictates the way millions of Latin Americans act.

Fact of the matter is, to most Latinos in the Northeast, Los Angeles is nowhere on the radar of what dominates their lives. So please, spare me the number phenomenon, especially since the vast majority of Hispanics in Los Angeles are from one country in Latin America.

And again, NYC's city limits has more Latinos than the city of Los Angeles.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:13 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,143 times
I would definitely agree with tristannn Mexico City is the capital of Latin America. Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires come close but Mexico City is on a level higher. It's become a true diverse juggernaut and it's level of sophistication is only topped by NYC in the western hemisphere.

Miami, Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janiero, and Panama City couldn't ever dream of reaching on that level

Old 04-16-2012, 05:43 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
All good points. It does seem life Mexico is the "face" of Latin-America. But I often hear people say Miami's the equivalent of a 3rd world country, so Miami it is. On a random note, did anybody see the Tupac Hologram at Coachella last night? AMAZING!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City