Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is more influenced by Mexicans and other Hispanics?
California 81 38.76%
Texas 128 61.24%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 04:39 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,735 times

Advertisements

See, Chicanos in California don't have an identifier like "Californio" but just become like any other ethnic group here. Nothing like "Tejano" or anything

Then again, up until 2010, the majority of Californians were not even born in California so we're all winging an identity together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 06:59 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,389,324 times
Default Great question.

It is difficult to say. Both were Mexican states at one time. I would lean toward Texas. Definitely.
The entire Ranchero, calf roping, western cowboy hat and boots culture is Mexican inspired. Has inspired
the entire west U.S. up and down with sheep and cattle raising. All of it. Roundups and cattle branding etc. Inspired Texas like no other state and made that "Texas Mystique" what it is today. Inspired even an entire film Genre. So deeply entrenched is the Mexican culture there that it is unknown after all this time that all the old west cowboy movies came from this blend of cultures. John Wayne? All of this stuff is thought to be thorougly American but it is definitely not. Many words are Spanish that have to do with the western cowboy culture. Here are just three examples. There are many,many more.
Lariat,
Arena,
Rodeo,
THe very first American cowboys were the Indians working for Catholic priests in San Antonio Tx at the Missions. Riding herd on the Spanish cattle. Really.

All of this stuff is what made Texas what it is today. Culturally. Especially the food. Tex-Mex food is actually a blend of German gravies and Spaniard Canary Islander spices and foods; and native American foods. All concocted in San Antonio, Texas. Yes. Texas is so thoroughly immersed in Mexican culture it could not be the same historically or presently without Mexican influence.
It might as well have been as plain as Kansas. Here is your answer.

Old 09-23-2017, 03:50 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazk14 View Post
Back in the day I would say Texas. But modern day, California is flat out being taken over by Mexicans while Texas seems to have a nice mix of cultures.
LOL. Yes, Texas has a more diverse culture than Cali. Of course Phoenix may as well be in Mexico.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:27 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Its a loaded question. It depends on the part of Mexico which you're referring to.

California is going to have the closest ties to Baha, Sinaloa, Jalisco, Michoacan, Colima, and the states on the Western sides of Mexico.

Texas is going to have closer ties to places like Nuevo Leon, Qeretaro, San Luis Potosi, Tamulipas, Coahuilla, and the Eastern and North Eastern states.

For places like Distrito Federal, Guanajato, and the State of Mexico, its probably a wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
LOL. Yes, Texas has a more diverse culture than Cali. Of course Phoenix may as well be in Mexico.
What? LA, Houston, Dallas, and Chicago all have many more Mexicans than Phoenix.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:17 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
Actually, there is a large amount of Hispanics who live in rural South, West, and to some extent, Centeal Texas.
Everywhere in Texas. Mexicans are pretty dominant in Texas.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:10 AM

343 posts, read 306,673 times
I would say California; Texas is very Tejano not mexican, very americanized with very little ties to Mexico. Most speak little Spanish if any at all.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:46 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
I would say California; Texas is very Tejano not mexican, very americanized with very little ties to Mexico. Most speak little Spanish if any at all.
Total BS, Dallas and Houston are filled with Latin American immigranta and most of their kids speak Spanish too

But being bilingual does not mean one is not Americanized , of course

Old 10-24-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Total BS, Dallas and Houston are filled with Latin American immigranta and most of their kids speak Spanish too

But being bilingual does not mean one is not Americanized , of course
I should have clarified; I mean San Antonio and South Texas in particular. Houston and Dallas might be different, but in San Antonio 90% of Hispanics are native born.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:34 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
I should have clarified; I mean San Antonio and South Texas in particular. Houston and Dallas might be different, but in San Antonio 90% of Hispanics are native born.
I'm guessing there are plenty of 2nd gen in South Texas, who are usually fluent in Spanish.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm guessing there are plenty of 2nd gen in South Texas, who are usually fluent in Spanish.
Somewhat, but they are increasingly older. It is rare in San Antonio to find a young Hispanic person that speaks Spanish fluently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City