Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is more influenced by Mexicans and other Hispanics?
California 81 38.76%
Texas 128 61.24%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 03:58 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,067,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Oh okay, I thought you meant literally your whole life
Sorry for confusing you. I meant figuratively. So it is weird as we are both first generation immigrants which is kind of weird to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 06:19 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
I should have clarified; I mean San Antonio and South Texas in particular. Houston and Dallas might be different, but in San Antonio 90% of Hispanics are native born.
Thats the difference. You are correct about San Antonio.

However, Houston and Dallas are completely different. The Hispanics in those metro areas are around 40% foreign born total. When you add their children, its over 80% either foreign born or the children of foreign born immigrants.

San Antonio and Corpus Christi are around 10% foreign born in regards to the Hispanic community.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:28 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,196,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
very interesting question. I grew up in California but lived in Houston for 6 months for work. I really can't say which is more influenced by hispanics. Hispanics in Texas seemed to be a bit more integrated while Whites and Hispanics seem more divided in California.
Quite true!

Old 04-06-2018, 11:50 PM

218 posts, read 220,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
For me it is weird with Texas. You have places like RGV and Laredo which are extensions of Mexico then you have places like Corpus, El Paso and San Antonio which is dominated it seems by Tejanos. Then their is Houston and Dallas which is a mixture of Tejanos and FOB Mexicans (1st and a few 2nd Generation not really FOB) and central Americans.

I find it crazy that Laredo, RGV and El Paso are all heavily hispanic metros but El Paso feels a lot more culturally American than the other two.

One interesting thing about the southern half of the Texas Triangle and SE part of East Texas of the Texas Triangle is that you enter an area were East Texas and South Texas start to mix a bit and you get these small rural towns that are triracial in the sense of being at least 15% Black, Hispanic and White and rarely ever more than 55% one race. A good example is Brookshire or Angleton or Cuero Texas.
Very interesting post and true. This may be one of the reasons that Texas seems to me to be one of the most integrated and accepting states I've ever lived in.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:47 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
very interesting question. I grew up in California but lived in Houston for 6 months for work. I really can't say which is more influenced by hispanics. Hispanics in Texas seemed to be a bit more integrated while Whites and Hispanics seem more divided in California. But we're also dealing with huge states with tons of diversity. Hispanic culture is more prominent in Southern California than in the Bay Area, which is almost as Asian as it is Hispanic.

As far as food is concerned, I do find Mexican food in California to be more authentic. It's true that most "Mexican" restaurants in Texas are heavily influenced with the local Texas flavor. Mexican food in California is pretty comparable to what you'd find in Baja California.
I would have thought that whites and Latinos were more similar in California than Texas, but it's a complicated subject and it depends on the city I guess. I thought Houston and Dallas were known for having Chicanos who act black, for instance.

Aren't there a ton of Mexican immigrants in Texas? Why would the restaurants catering to them and their children have a Texas flair?

Old 04-07-2018, 11:56 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Thats the difference. You are correct about San Antonio.

However, Houston and Dallas are completely different. The Hispanics in those metro areas are around 40% foreign born total. When you add their children, its over 80% either foreign born or the children of foreign born immigrants.

San Antonio and Corpus Christi are around 10% foreign born in regards to the Hispanic community.
Are you saying Houston and Dallas have a lot of illegal immigrants?

where are you getting that 40% number?

Old 07-14-2018, 07:38 PM

724 posts, read 559,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
I would say California; Texas is very Tejano not mexican, very americanized with very little ties to Mexico. Most speak little Spanish if any at all.
You sure about that?

https://statisticalatlas.com/state/California/Languages
https://statisticalatlas.com/state/Texas/Languages

28.8% of California households speak Spanish, 29.5% of Texas households speak Spanish. How did this meme even start because I actually hear it in real life as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City