Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:32 AM

67 posts, read 125,130 times

Advertisements

Thanks all so much for the suggestions so far. No idea why my friend recommended those areas, if they are meant more for families with kids.

Another question - in the dead of summer - can you jog around lady bird lake, or can you not even walk outside? I live in coastal NC now and it gets so hot and humid in July-Aug, the moment you walk outside you want to die. Just wondering if Austin is the same, worse etc. And also wonder how Nashville would compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 08:35 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,827,357 times
From mid-may to mid-September you will not be going outside much during the day if you can help it. Look up Austin on wikipedia and check out average highs and lows for each month.

Austin is not as humid as other parts of Texas but that's not to say that there is no humidity. It is more like oven-hot than swamp-hot though.

2 of the last 3 summers have been unseasonably hot and dry as well - worse than the average. You might go swimming in the dead of summer but definitely not jogging, at least not after 6AM.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:38 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,439 times
It makes you wonder if eepstein does it out of spite.. Anyways you can't go wrong with both cities, good luck...

Old 04-11-2012, 08:40 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Nashville and NC will likely be cooler buy more humid. You will have to look up heat index for a good comparison. That said, I have spent many an hour in my younger days jogging around Town Lake in the afternoon and evening. Mornings were worse for me due to the relative humidity at that time.

If you are dodging income tax, make sure to check out property tax, as well. Texas homes generally have a 2 - 3% property tax assessed on the approximate full market value of your home (adjusted annually). Annual tax on a $600k house in the Austin area would be around $12-18k per year. Tennessee, iirc, assesses taxes on 25% of the market but at a higher rate, so it is hard to compare. Not sure on their value assessment process (i.e. one time assessment or updated regularly).

Old 04-11-2012, 08:42 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verdegallardo View Post
Another question - in the dead of summer - can you jog around lady bird lake, or can you not even walk outside? I live in coastal NC now and it gets so hot and humid in July-Aug, the moment you walk outside you want to die. Just wondering if Austin is the same, worse etc. And also wonder how Nashville would compare.
I have no idea how Nashville would compare, but it's not that humid in Austin during the summer so you can definitely still run.

It's really not that bad if you can run before 9:30am or after 7:00pm when you get a break from the sun. Running at 3:30pm in August really isn't a good idea, however, I got to the point to where I could do shorter 5-mile runs a couple times a week in the 100 degree heat. Your body does adjust. You just need to hydrate yourself all day before, during, and after. Invest in some good workout clothes that help with the heat or find an indoor running track/treadmill. For long runs during the summer, nothing beats a 5:30am run.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:42 AM

426 posts, read 1,673,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Cost of living is lower in Nashville, and it isn't nearly as isolated as Austin with regards to other cities. Basically you only have SA, Houston and Dallas within an easy drive from Austin--Nashville has many more larger metro areas within 3 hours.
Ummmm, what?

1. Memphis... (and by no means larger)...
2. ???

Expand that to 6 hours and maybe you get to add Atlanta and St Louis but the last time I checked, not bigger than Houston or Dallas.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I have no idea how Nashville would compare, but it's not that humid in Austin during the summer so you can definitely still run.

It's really not that bad if you can run before 9:30am or after 7:00pm when you get a break from the sun. Running at 3:30pm in August really isn't a good idea, however, I got to the point to where I could do shorter 5-mile runs a couple times a week in the 100 degree heat. Your body does adjust. You just need to hydrate yourself all day before, during, and after. Invest in some good workout clothes that help with the heat or find an indoor running track/treadmill. For long runs during the summer, nothing beats a 5:30am run.
I'm with Mark... you adjust/get used to it. Before the kid, I would run after work ~5:30pm-ish through the summer. Albeit relatively shorter runs, but you adjust and you learn not to over do it.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:47 AM

Wow, okay. I look forward to adjusting then (haven't been here long)...when visiting in the past I could barely crawl outside in August!

Old 04-11-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
Wow, okay. I look forward to adjusting then (haven't been here long)...when visiting in the past I could barely crawl outside in August!
Don't know about Mark but I grew up in the area... football practices in August/September make afternoon runs in the summer seem like nothing. Just takes time for the body to get used to it. I'd imagine it'd be similar but myself or others from here adjusting to working out up north or in Denver or something...

Old 04-11-2012, 08:56 AM

I suppose that's true. I went running in the Northeast when it was 20 degrees out and I guess I got used to that. Glad to hear I don't have to stay inside for four months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City