Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 10:37 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,869,496 times

Advertisements

I ran across this graphic and found it interesting. Major League Soccer seems to be getting quite established and is developing a strong following in many major markets, not to mention all the new soccer only stadiums that have been constructed.

By looking at the map, I think they should move one of the LA teams to San Diego, and there should be franchises in St Louis, Minneapolis, and somewhere in the Southeast. Would Atlanta support an MLS team?

I'm not a huge soccer fan, but do enjoy going to MLS games once in a while, although I wish the DC area had a better stadium for soccer.

Thoughts?

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13343345387641

Last edited by JMT; 07-24-2012 at 05:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 10:55 AM

70 posts, read 204,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I ran across this graphic and found it interesting. Major League Soccer seems to be getting quite established and is developing a strong following in many major markets, not to mention all the new soccer only stadiums that have been constructed.

By looking at the map, I think they should move one of the LA teams to San Diego, and there should be franchises in St Louis, Minneapolis, and somewhere in the Southeast. Would Atlanta support an MLS team?

I'm not a huge soccer fan, but do enjoy going to MLS games once in a while, although I wish the DC area had a better stadium for soccer.

Thoughts?
Atlanta and the Twin Cities? Probably. Though I'm shocked that there's not a team in any of the FL metro areas considering the high amount of transplants and Latin American population down there, particularly Miami.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:06 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,797,919 times
The MLS should be smart and not expand to too big a league. I think 24 teams would be a good number for them. That would mean an addition 5 teams added.

St. Louis
Charlotte
Atlanta
Minneapolis
Ottawa

Old 04-13-2012, 11:12 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,927,318 times
Houston Dynamos are opening their new stadium this season. They said their season ticket buyers have doubled aready. Expect attendance for Houston to go up. It already is high, I expect it to match the number LA Galaxy has in the graphic.

I wonder why FC Dallas and SJ Earthquakes have such low attendance (vying for 2nd lowest in the league). Both areas support a huge latin population.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:34 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

Thoughts?

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13343345387641
Because both LA teams are holding their own attendance-wise, and whose combined average is higher that than the league average, enjoy a massive TV market and a relatively new soccer specific stadium, neither are going anywhere. Unless it’s Chivas to downtown LA, which was proposed recently. It would make more sense to place a new team in SD; its the largest city after San Antonio and Phx without a team, but does not have oppressive summer heat.

Last edited by JMT; 07-24-2012 at 05:52 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 11:49 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
Minnesota Kicks avg attendance at Met Stadium...

(from wiki)

(from me)
  • 1979.....24,580 (crack down on having fun in the parking lot began)

Old 04-13-2012, 12:24 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,797,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Houston Dynamos are opening their new stadium this season. They said their season ticket buyers have doubled aready. Expect attendance for Houston to go up. It already is high, I expect it to match the number LA Galaxy has in the graphic.

I wonder why FC Dallas and SJ Earthquakes have such low attendance (vying for 2nd lowest in the league). Both areas support a huge latin population.

Just because an area has a large Latin population, doesn't mean they will support the local MLS club. Look at the Boston area. There are a ton of Brazilians and the Revs don't get that great of support.

Also, look at the location of the FC Dallas stadium.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:38 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,360 times
New York City will be getting the 20th team. As for other cities, Orlando is now in the ring. MLS commissioner Don Garber was in Orlando in March to tour the city. Orlando City Soccer is a well-backed USL Pro club owned by Phil Rawlins who is an owner and director of English Premier League club Stoke City. He moved the team from Austin to be in Orlando where he felt there was a better fit for soccer and had the best chance of getting into the MLS. Orlando City won the USL championship last year and attendance has been solid for minor league soccer, with the championship game attracting over 11K fans. Orlando has a better shot of getting MLS than Tampa or Miami, where clubs failed the first time around. There is also less competition from established professional teams in Orlando, where there is only NBA. The key component is the success of Orlando City, and when and if there can be a soccer-specific stadium built.

MLS Commish Don Garber Visits Orlando | www.wftv.com

Orlando City Soccer Club: News

Old 04-13-2012, 12:39 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,927,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Just because an area has a large Latin population, doesn't mean they will support the local MLS club. Look at the Boston area. There are a ton of Brazilians and the Revs don't get that great of support.

Also, look at the location of the FC Dallas stadium.
I know that. I didn't list it as a be all and end all I listed it as a contributing factor.

Besides, the Latin population in those two are not just large, they are huge.

Is it SJ's small stadium that is causing the low attendance? The Earthquakes has won two cups (would probably have won two more if the bulk of the team didn't move to Houston where they won two more). Just trying to figure out why the attendance in these two are so low when they should be by all indicators doing well.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:41 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

Location, Location, Location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City