Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City For 2024 Olympics US Bid?
Phoenix 18 5.52%
San Jose 7 2.15%
Los Angeles 51 15.64%
Sacramento 6 1.84%
San Diego 23 7.06%
San Francisco 43 13.19%
Denver 25 7.67%
Washington 30 9.20%
Jacksonville 5 1.53%
Orlando 9 2.76%
Miami 26 7.98%
Atlanta 39 11.96%
Chicago 69 21.17%
Indianapolis 9 2.76%
Baltimore 9 2.76%
Detroit 16 4.91%
Minneapolis 31 9.51%
St Louis 20 6.13%
Las Vegas 12 3.68%
New York City 49 15.03%
Boston 59 18.10%
Rochester 7 2.15%
Charlotte 20 6.13%
Columbus 7 2.15%
Tulsa 8 2.45%
Portland OR 8 2.45%
Philadelphia 47 14.42%
Pittsburgh 15 4.60%
Memphis 6 1.84%
Nashville 21 6.44%
Austin 16 4.91%
Dallas 32 9.82%
Houston 35 10.74%
San Antonio 9 2.76%
Seattle 52 15.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 03:40 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,411 times

Advertisements

As good as the PR is, hosting the Olympics can be a oneway ticket to major debtville. I was pretty relieved that Chicago lost 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 04:35 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
As good as the PR is, hosting the Olympics can be a oneway ticket to major debtville. I was pretty relieved that Chicago lost 2016.
Many economists agree with you.

Quote:
authors nevertheless offer a common-sense conclusion that couldn’t be clearer. “Diverting scarce capital and other resources from more productive uses to the Olympics very likely translates into slower rates of economic growth than that which could be realized in the absence of hosting the Olympic Games.â€
Do the Olympics Boost the Economy? Studies Show the Impact is Likely Negative - The Daily Beast

Quote:
The increasingly sorry state of almost all of the former Athens 2004 venues in the wake of the Games has been well-publicized. Twenty-one out of 22 of the stadiums, arenas, sports halls and swimming pools built for the Games are either derelict, in a state of disrepair, boarded up or unable to find a buyer and underused. As the Beijing Games opened four years later Athens faced a bill estimated at $784 million simply to maintain this ghost town of Olympian extravagance.
Quote:
The ETOA report suggests that the impact on tourism during an Olympic year for a host city is not much more than negligible; often it’s actually negative. In 1996 in Georgia, home state of host city Atlanta, hotel occupancy rates fell from 73 percent in the previous year to 68 percent. Sydney 2000 saw hotel occupancy fall steadily as the Games approached, from 83 percent in March to 68 percent in July and August, before a modest recovery to 80 percent during the Games themselves. Beijing in 2008 recorded 30 percent fewer tourists in July of the Olympic year compared with the same month in 2007, with a 5 percent decline year-on-year for August when the Games were taking place, and 25 percent below in the following months through to December. A recovery has since occurred, but this is ascribed to Beijing hoteliers’ slashing room rates rather than the attraction of a visit to the Bird’s Nest stadium. The ETOA points to a rarely mentioned consequence of hosting the Olympics: “Olympic visitors effectively scare other visitors away. Regular tourists assume that congestion and increased prices are a feature of Mega-Events.â€
I dunno, I just think that events like the Oympics speed up building of much needed infrastructure.

Two things are needed in Houston, better PT and more Hotel rooms. These are things that hosting the Olympics would inevitably guarantee.

Houston has quite a few sporting venues all either Downtown (Basketball/Hockey; Baseball; Soccer) or still within the loop a few miles from Downtown (NFL Stadium, Rice Stadium, Roberson Stadium). In addition to those 6 there were plans to turn the Vacant Astrodome into a track and field or a swimming facility.

The proposed Olympic Village was planned for a depressed part of town- much like London's East End, it was planned to go up just south of East Downtown. The east side is making a resurgence due to new urbanism. It was largely abandoned after it got really industrial and then the industry moved. Now a lot of those ware house areas are being turned into residences.

Anyway, Houston has 3 new rail lines underway and plans for two new large hotels downtown so by the time the Olympics that are currently being bidding on comes around, all the things I am wishing for might already be in place.

I don't know, with the centralization of modern venues I think Houston can whip up a cheap but adequate Olympics much like LA did in 84.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:26 AM

168 posts, read 352,930 times
Cleveland or Detroit!

Old 08-01-2012, 10:57 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Twin Cities seating capacities and venues...

70,000 *Vikings Stadium (2016)
50,000 *TCF Stadium (college football)
40,000 *Target Field (baseball stadium)
25,000 Canterbury Park (horse track)
18,000 *Target Center (arena, 2015 renovation)
18,000 *Xcel Energy Center (arena)
17,000 State Fair Grounds Grandstand
15,000 *Williams Arena (U of M basketball)
10,000 *Mariucci Arena (U of M hockey)
_9,000 National Sports Complex (expandable, soccer facility)
_8,000 *St Paul Saints Ballpark (planning stages)
_5,000 State Fair Grounds Arena
_5,000 Running Aces Harness Park

*served by existing light rail line

dozens of other tennis facilities and hockey arenas within the metro area.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:04 PM

345 posts, read 833,066 times
For summer, the Twin Cities would actually be a pretty good bid because the reasons previously mentioned (transportation, weather, venues). Also, I wouldn't mind seeing Boston or Chicago host an Olympics.

For winter, Denver is a happening place with easy access to much recreation for the winter sports. Denver would be the best bid especially with all their new transportation projects and new urban developments that would make it capable of hosting a Winter Games.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:52 AM

922 posts, read 1,697,159 times
Biggest problem facing most of the cities mention in this thread.

Quote:
And then, there’s the reality that the USOC is not going to choose a city to take to the international competition that doesn’t meet with the approval of the NBC Television Network. Again, a big money issue.

The most recent price NBC has agreed to pay for the privilege of televising upcoming games is reported to be about $4.4 billion. Their contract blew way past what CBS, FOX, and ESPN were offering.

So, they get an unofficial but, I believe, deciding vote on which U. S. city gets selected for the international competition. Following a disappointing television audience for the 1996 Atlanta Games, the chief NBC honcho famously announced that the Olympics would never again be staged in a “second tier†U. S. city. NBC regarded Dallas-Fort Worth as a city like Atlanta.

Arlingtonnewsnetwork.com - When will WE host the Olympics? Dallas effort scuttled by cost, politics

Old 08-02-2012, 12:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
I am a Texan and would love to see the games in a Texas city. We've got the accommodations and ability to make it happen - however, I have to be honest and say that I think the extreme heat would be an issue.

Yesterday, I was in Dallas and it was 108 degrees - and that's not uncommon. I think that would be very hard on some athletes - and many visitors. I've had visitors from out of state (and from Europe) come here during the summer - against my recommendations - and they have been frankly shocked and dismayed by the heat. I mean, I'm used to it, and LOVE Texas, but even I stay indoors when it's this hot.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:05 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am a Texan and would love to see the games in a Texas city. We've got the accommodations and ability to make it happen - however, I have to be honest and say that I think the extreme heat would be an issue.

Yesterday, I was in Dallas and it was 108 degrees - and that's not uncommon. I think that would be very hard on some athletes - and many visitors. I've had visitors from out of state (and from Europe) come here during the summer - against my recommendations - and they have been frankly shocked and dismayed by the heat. I mean, I'm used to it, and LOVE Texas, but even I stay indoors when it's this hot.
Bingo

Old 08-02-2012, 12:11 PM

922 posts, read 1,697,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Here's an article on what they are planning.

Talks about how the 2012 bid was to spread out (like the Super Bowl) & trying for a mid to late June start.

Dallas Olympic bid still distant, but detailed planning under way | Dallas-Fort Worth Local Breaking News - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

But IMO only three cities have a real chance (NYC/LA/Chicago) everything else is considered second tier.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:17 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Get use to it folks, the Olympics will not be in the US for a VERY long time. It is a massive financial headache and they want the people around the country to pay for it. No. The USOC will not bother much of the time because even they know the people of this country will not agree to pay for another city's venues and get nothing in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City