Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City For 2024 Olympics US Bid?
Phoenix 18 5.52%
San Jose 7 2.15%
Los Angeles 51 15.64%
Sacramento 6 1.84%
San Diego 23 7.06%
San Francisco 43 13.19%
Denver 25 7.67%
Washington 30 9.20%
Jacksonville 5 1.53%
Orlando 9 2.76%
Miami 26 7.98%
Atlanta 39 11.96%
Chicago 69 21.17%
Indianapolis 9 2.76%
Baltimore 9 2.76%
Detroit 16 4.91%
Minneapolis 31 9.51%
St Louis 20 6.13%
Las Vegas 12 3.68%
New York City 49 15.03%
Boston 59 18.10%
Rochester 7 2.15%
Charlotte 20 6.13%
Columbus 7 2.15%
Tulsa 8 2.45%
Portland OR 8 2.45%
Philadelphia 47 14.42%
Pittsburgh 15 4.60%
Memphis 6 1.84%
Nashville 21 6.44%
Austin 16 4.91%
Dallas 32 9.82%
Houston 35 10.74%
San Antonio 9 2.76%
Seattle 52 15.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 12:52 AM

256 posts, read 473,813 times

Advertisements

Dallas 2024.

Dallas 2024
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 03:22 PM

152 posts, read 298,637 times
texas cities, Phoenix, or Miami

Old 11-15-2013, 03:39 PM

10,220 posts, read 15,917,484 times
Denver is one of the cities that can do both the Summer and Winter Games.

For summer I still have to go with Las Vegas (they can add stadiums and get into pro sports), Dallas, and Houston.

For winter.....Reno/Tahoe, Charleston WV!!! (utilize Snowshoe Mountain), or Colorado Springs/Denver.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:39 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,217,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mavster View Post
I think a joint bid by Philadelphia, along with NYC and DC, should be welcomed by the USOC (and the IOC). Each city has its strengths, with established venues and history/attractions, so there wouldn't have to be a ton of new construction. I-95 and Amtrak would have to be upgraded in areas, of course. Just imagine, the bid would be enhanced further if the USA ever built a bullet train to serve the Megalopolis; NYC to DC in 75 minutes!

NBC / Comcast is HQ'd in Philly and none of the cities would have to be "overrun" by tourists. The 9 airports (incl BWI, Trenton, and AC) could accommodate the influx. The cities could share the expenses. Politics aside, seems like a no-brainer to me. A 2024 co-bid would be ideal.

Thoughts?
That's kind of what I was thinking - you could have Philly as the "host" city and then run events from NYC down to DC - just a ton of diverse, existing and nice venues in that area - a lot of hotels, good infrastructure, good airport access ...... I honestly think it would be the strongest bid the US could have

I see some talking up Phoenix - I imagine that it has to be sarcastic - while Phoenix can definitely host huge events, not exactly a great summer draw

Old 11-15-2013, 04:11 PM

152 posts, read 298,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
That's kind of what I was thinking - you could have Philly as the "host" city and then run events from NYC down to DC - just a ton of diverse, existing and nice venues in that area - a lot of hotels, good infrastructure, good airport access ...... I honestly think it would be the strongest bid the US could have

I see some talking up Phoenix - I imagine that it has to be sarcastic - while Phoenix can definitely host huge events, not exactly a great summer draw
The Phoenix area already has newer stadiums/arenas built including 2 retractable domes with AC blasting and another soon to be renovated covered stadium, along with drastically cooler temps an hour north for some of the marathon events. Also in Tempe there is an olympic village type residences already planned.

Plus if high temps and humidity of Atlanta's outdoor venues worked out ok, and the crappy cold dreary weather of London (remember the beach volleyball athletes having to layer clothes), then I'm sure the AC cooled indoor domes would workout great!

Old 11-15-2013, 06:07 PM

The drastically cooler temps are over 2 hours to the north - up high in a mountain in a not so highly populated area that features mainly a college town with pretty bad sporting facilities - it's also a drive up and back, really no transit links

They have an older outdoor football stadium (that will be renovated by 2024 - but not retractable), a new retractable roof football stadium, a boatload of baseball stadiums/complexes (d'backs field is covered), a pair of standard arenas of larger size, a couple smaller sized college arenas, etc ....... they could make it work from a facilities standpoint

By the time 2024 comes though it would have been over 20 years since they had a games in months other than July/August ........ there is a reason why it took so long for the baseball allstar game to come here and why you can get rooms for dirt cheap - not many people are dying to go to Phoenix when it's between 105-115 ..... especially at the end of July into August when the Monsoon hits

It also stays hot well into the night - it can still be 95-100 out at midnight .... makes it difficult for visitors, corporate parties, etc

Old 11-15-2013, 06:17 PM

On a side note, I actually went to the beach volleyball competition they had out here in May 2007 .... it was very hot, had to be near 100 .... I remember them doing sand readings over 120 degrees ....... had the hoses going constantly for both the sand and for the fans ..... I believe that's the last year they did a formal stop out here, now they do exhibition matches

They tried a couple of best of the beach or us/brazil type matches at the end of the season in september after that for a couple years .... don't think they've been back since

You can watch the matches apparently - probably even see me there - I can't verify though from work

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JYNobB6aRM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkDgkT-Wx8o

Old 11-15-2013, 08:01 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Denver is one of the cities that can do both the Summer and Winter Games.

For summer I still have to go with Las Vegas (they can add stadiums and get into pro sports), Dallas, and Houston.

For winter.....Reno/Tahoe, Charleston WV!!! (utilize Snowshoe Mountain), or Colorado Springs/Denver.
That would be awesome! I think Denver could potentially handle both well.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:10 PM

10,220 posts, read 15,917,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
The drastically cooler temps are over 2 hours to the north - up high in a mountain in a not so highly populated area that features mainly a college town with pretty bad sporting facilities - it's also a drive up and back, really no transit links

They have an older outdoor football stadium (that will be renovated by 2024 - but not retractable), a new retractable roof football stadium, a boatload of baseball stadiums/complexes (d'backs field is covered), a pair of standard arenas of larger size, a couple smaller sized college arenas, etc ....... they could make it work from a facilities standpoint

By the time 2024 comes though it would have been over 20 years since they had a games in months other than July/August ........ there is a reason why it took so long for the baseball allstar game to come here and why you can get rooms for dirt cheap - not many people are dying to go to Phoenix when it's between 105-115 ..... especially at the end of July into August when the Monsoon hits

It also stays hot well into the night - it can still be 95-100 out at midnight .... makes it difficult for visitors, corporate parties, etc
It is possible to have the games in September. The Sydney Olympics were held in September and might even have gone into October. Plus the Arizona heat is better than the cold in many parts of the Upper Midwest or the Northeast. So I think both Phoenix and Las Vegas should qualify as Olympic cities. Everytime they have the games in the southern hemisphere it would be in a different month probably. Rio might be an exception cause Brazil probably stays warm year round.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:22 PM

132 posts, read 545,640 times
Rochester, New York or Minnesota?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City