Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 03:06 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Hey, I think it's cute.

When I say southern florida i usually say soflo. It sounds like a shampoo or something. SoFlori sounds nicer
Soflo. I like that.

Cali? I know its not used maliciously, but, eh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 03:50 PM

54 posts, read 82,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Agreed, the beaches in NorCal are very scenic and nice to look at but not user friendly at all. The water is freezing cold year round and it's never warm enough to swim in. That's on top of the very dangerous rip currents too. Then of course the weather itself sucks as well; cold, windy, foggy, and rarely makes it out of the 60's, sometimes it won't even make it out of the 50's in the middle of summer. I'd take the beaches around Chicago and the summer weather there any day over the coast here in Northern CA.

I think you exaggerate the weather being horrible at NorCal beaches. Chicago is warmer in the summer but you can enjoy Norcal beaches year round.

Current Temps 4/20/2012

Chicago - 43 deg

NorCal

Stinson Beach -83 deg

San Francisco- 76 deg

Santa Cruz- 84 deg

Old 04-20-2012, 04:56 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,968 times
Quote:
Outer Richmond; Russian and Armenian.
North Beach; Italian.

please give me the streets where you think majority of the people are Italian in North Beach because from the census numbers it's barley majority white (I guess you can compare this to Little Italy)

please give me the area Outer Richmond that's majority ethnic white. blocks please. (I do know they are here) considering Outer Richmond is majority Asian in most places.

Quote:
Big deal!

I'm an "ethnic white person" and could care less! I still prefer SF to NYC, and so do many of the people who have chosen to live there who are either from the Northeast, or from other parts of the US and certainly earn a high-enough income to make it work.
by ethnic white I meant who still has traditions from his ethnicity not just blood.

Quote:
I also happen to know for a fact that the small Russian jewish community in SF is treated like garbage by the avg SF resident. That's absolutely absurd.
how many Russian Jews have you ever spoken too?

Quote:
SF is widely considered by many jews to be the most Anti Semitic city in America. That's the first time in my life I've ever heard such a dumb statement.
sorry about my statement I'll correct it
SF is widely considered by many jews (who are jewish in more the just name) to be one of the most Anti Semitic city in America. (Seattle is one that could easily vie for first)

Quote:
Anyone can try to put basically anything on the ballot. I did not know a single person who supported that ban; everyone thought that it was absolutely dumb, and that's why it was stricken down and never got to a vote, because it was stupid, it did discriminate again Jews and Muslims as well as anyone else who chose to have their child circumsized
remind me again how did it get on the ballot did 5 people forge 12,265 signatures. (1.5% of the city).
In NY that would be equivalent to 124,520 people which they could never get in such a short time

Quote:
but again, it's all moot since it never got to the ballot anyways.
thanks to a judge with pressure mostly from outside of SF

Quote:
It
Specifically, note the following:
Abby Porth, associate director at the Jewish Community Relations Council, said she welcomes Thursday’s decision by Loretta M. Giorgi. She said her organization’s opposition was about combating negative attention on male circumcision and not so much over fear the ban might be approved by voters.
“Even if it made the ballot, we don’t believe it would have passed,” Porth said.
I can almost guarantee it would have passed in The Castro. if it would have failed it would have mostly been due to non whites

Quote:
Your "outrage" at all this is absolutely stupid; by your rationale, you should really specifically hate New York because of this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/ny...-memories.html

Quote:
Swastikas, as well as the words “Die Jew,” had been painted on a garage in Midwood and on the stairs of a Jewish school, part of a recent spate of anti-Semitic crimes in Brooklyn, Manhattan and New Jersey and on Long Island.
you do understand the difference between a few induviual anonymous people and 12,265 people.

Quote:
No, it's just unpleasant to hear your interpretation of what "the truth" is, and again, it's even more unpleasant to see you try to use Judaism and Jewish society to try to justify your beliefs.
tough luck that's why Jews who act like Jews (as opposed to almost all in SF) voted in Bob Turner because god hates abominations.

Quote:
Did you forget that homosexuals were subject to the same horrors that Jews were during the holocaust, for the exact same reasons that not only you are using, but were basically the same ones that the Nazis used?

Nazi Persecution of Homosexuals 1933-1945
1. no gay was ever sent to the death camps for that reason.(if he happened to be Jewish then yes) so they were not at all comparable
2. many SS officers and almost all SA officers were gay.
3. many male jews were raped in tha camps by gay guards (so much for both being persecuted)
4. almost all gays who were sent to concentration camps were sent for political reason and that was just

Quote:
Quote:
please explain to me why the anti circumsion movement is mostly gay and the only parades it marches in are gay pride parades (and they march in a bunch of them). and most of the time gets cheered.
I don't care about such a dumb movement and not a single gay person who's in my social circle has ever talked about supporting this movement. Wager to say, I probably know more gay people than you do...
1. the fact that the y let them march shows me with out a protest shows that the community doesn't oppose them.
2. they were cheered (saw the video of them marching)
this implicates the whole group and not just the few marchers because they should not have let them march much less cheered them.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:38 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
As a minority in the Northeast, I hear people use the term "Cali" all the time. Why get bent out of shape over something that really isn't a big deal?

Anyways, back on topic, since the beach talk is nice, I think we can all agree that most New Yorkers and most Chicagoans don't care for or like SF, using this logic train.

SF = Specific Type of Liberal White People

NYC = 33% White (a lot whom don't fit the SF mold)
Chicago = 30% White (a lot whom don't fit the SF mold)

85% of NYC + 85% of Chicago =/= liking SF given that SF = Specific Type of Liberal White people

At most, only 10-15% of New Yorkers and Chicagoans can like SF, since SF

1) Isn't friendly to minorities
2) Isn't friendly to whites who aren't their type of liberal
Most of Manhattan's population is made up of those exact liberal white people you are complaining that San Francisco is full of.

Do you also dislike Portland? Seems like they are the quintessential 'liberal white people' city.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:29 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Most of Manhattan's population is made up of those exact liberal white people you are complaining that San Francisco is full of.

Do you also dislike Portland? Seems like they are the quintessential 'liberal white people' city.
Unlike SF, Manhattan has ways of avoiding those types of people because people from the other boroughs can come in and put those types in their place and remind them whose city it really is. Hell, even north of 110th Street you wouldn't find those types

SF is surrounded by areas that think like it, so it will take the rest of the country to put it in its place. Any minority who lives there is seen as a traitor to minorities everywhere else in the country.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:36 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Hell, even north of 110th Street you wouldn't find those types
That leaves most of Manhattan to the rich white liberals that are so terrible.

I would think Columbia University north of 110th would have its share of liberal WASPs.

Quote:
SF is surrounded by areas that think like it, so it will take the rest of the country to put it in its place. Any minority who lives there is seen as a traitor to minorities everywhere else in the country.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:37 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Wow... You're really pushing the envelope of stupid with that comment, son...

Old 04-20-2012, 06:41 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
San Francisco is going to date your daughter. And your son. You will be assimilated.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:45 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Wow... You're really pushing the envelope of stupid with that comment, son...
Have you read what the New York Jewish person has been saying about SF? Taught me a little bit about San Francisco's dark anti-Semitic side. Then again, it doesn't surprise me, since SF is home to one of the largest pro-Palestinian groups in the United States.

Quote:
That leaves most of Manhattan to the rich white liberals that are so terrible.

I would think Columbia University north of 110th would have its share of liberal WASPs.
Those students know their place, and once they leave campus and start spouting their nonsense, they will be put in their place.

And even with the rest of Manhattan, there are people who live in the other boroughs who dilute the white liberal's influence.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:36 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No its not, its actually comfortable, nowhere near 'hot' as Oy Crumbler described---in fact the only time the coast anywhere in California gets hot is during a heat wave.

I dont even know why this is a point of contention.

slo1318 already said it, our weather is the way it is partly due to how cool coastal areas are relative to everywhere else.

And its not that fake difference like what you see on the East Coast or Hawaii where its only a breath cooler on the coast, if at all.

NOOOOO. In California the coastline can be 30-40 degrees coolers than nearby inland valleys.
Something's amiss here. I don't deny that our waters are cold and different from the East Coast and Hawaii (Hawaii itself is a weird comparison to make because it, too, has a considerably idiosyncratic climate due to being surrounded by almost never-ending ocean set in the middle of constant strong trade winds). Nowhere did I say anything negating that the climate on the coast is drastically different from that inland--as in, this was never a point of contention because it has little to nothing to do with what I actually said.

Both the Bay Area and socal are classified as csb mediterranean climates under the koppen scheme, but the ambient temperature is a few degrees higher on average for both the water and the beach in socal compared to the bay area--moreover, there is simply more sunshine, longer daytimes, more direct sunlight and clear days so even if the ambient temperature were somehow the same, you would feel a much stronger warmth at the beach (though by night, LA's beaches are very chilly just as the Bay Area's are). The LA coast also indents about quite a bit and features a lot of south/south-ish facing beaches. Added to that, LA's population is pretty packed on/near the coast which isn't the case in the Bay Area save for the relatively small SF.

I'm kind of surprised by your response, because I figured you knew LA really well. The traditional beach scene of people sunbathing, wearing skimpy clothing, dancing about and dashing into the water to cool off has nowhere near the traction in the Bay Area (though I remember there was some of that around Santa Cruz) that it has in LA. Then again, maybe I have the wrong impression of Bay Area beaches. Is it pretty common in late summer for those beaches to have a good deal of women in bikinis and men going around shirtless?

And yea, it's mostly during the (late) summer, but then again, that's true for most of the northeast beaches, too, because it's, you know, freezing. Also, I'm not saying LA is the same thing as Hawaii, the Jersey Shore, Miami, etc. In fact, it's not the same between those places, too. I'm only saying what I'm guessing the guy was thinking when he said traditional beach scene--lots of skin and lots of sun during the summer.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-20-2012 at 09:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City