Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 05:55 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Well, now we know your motivations... Good luck with that.

Fact of the matter is that one way or another, regardless of its size, SF does enjoy an outsized place in the American lexicon, moreso than Jacksonville, Austin, and Indianapolis. You obviously don't like this, but, it is the truth.
You ever had that short nerdy kid in class who used to scream and throw things to act like a cool kid or for attention? Did you also remember that time when the short nerdy kid thought he was cool, but someone put them into their place to remind them that no matter what they do, they will always be the short nerdy kid that only a few people really like?

Sort of reminds me of the relationship between SF and NYC/LA/CHI.

And for your latter comment, well, California is in a tailspin. If this forum any indication, there are plenty of Americans who will no longer spend money anywhere in the State of California, and increasingly, do any business with any California company.

Don't worry though, LA is still cool to us minority urban Northeasterners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 05:57 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
This implies that for most people diversity is the single most important criteria in deciding where to move. How could you possibly come to that conclusion? I mean if you would rather move to LA than SF because it's more Jewish I can understand that -- just like I can understand that a black person might prefer Philly to Boston -- but it has nothing to do with diversity per se, just a natural comfort that people have when they are not in a tiny minority.

Some of the most amazing cities I have ever been to are very racially homogeneous -- Madrid, Tokyo, Buenos Aires. I really don't think most people pick a place based on which one is more "diverse". There are plenty of other, more important, issues.
I think my point was for the most part in agreement with you.

in short why would I an Orthodox Jew want to move to a city that has almost no Orthodox Jews and in addition stands for everything I'm against.

I'm sure that most of NY other minority's (I consider ethnic whites minorities) would like wise want to live near other minorities.

NY is the most neighborhood based city in America (if you ask a NYer where there from most would say either the borough or neighborhood but almost never say NY). In addition there are overlapping communities in parts of NY that know nothing about the other community (example in a article about Bensonhurst in the 50's both Italians and Jews living on the same blocks in Bensonhurst were asked about what % of there block was Jewish or Italian and both thought that there respective demographic were the supermajority) This phenomenon still exists in much of NY today.

What this leads to is a city which is really a bunch of little overlapping cities.

Therefore the fact that SF (Asians aside) has no minorities communities like LA most minorities would not want to move to SF but to LA. Not because they want to move to a diverse place but because LA is more diverse the things that they like about their little NY is more likely to be there.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:58 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
There's nothing wrong with SF, but I think a lot of posters need to remember that it really only has 800,000. Many of the Bay Area posters need to be reminded that no one thinks about SF in the same way one thinks about cities like NYC, LA, and Chicago. That's the reality of the situation. I've even heard people put Miami over SF in terms of recognition.

SF is a nice cute city, but there is no other 800,000 city in the country that is as overhyped as SF. Jacksonville, Austin, and Indianapolis have around the same population.

Also, the political scene in SF is off putting to the vast majority of people in the United States.

It just seems like a place that needs to be put in its place.
So bizarre.

I have this mental image of a cartoon chicken-hawk yelling at the Golden Gate Bridge.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
Therefore the fact that SF (Asians aside) has no minorities communities like LA most minorities would not want to move to SF but to LA. Not because they want to move to a diverse place but because LA is more diverse the things that they like about their little NY is more likely to be there.
Exactly. +1

However, it does seem nowadays that many of the Hispanics (read: Mexicans) out in LA don't like my people as much anymore. It really isn't that attractive compared to NYC, but it still is worlds more attractive than SF. Never really met a minority that wanted to move to SF, met a few who went to LA and came back.

Quote:
So bizarre.

I have this mental image of a cartoon chicken-hawk yelling at the Golden Gate Bridge.
You know what's bizarre?

I'm actually boosting LA and saying good things about it, yet none of the LA posters are willing to attack SF for any reason.

You guys have a much better, relevant, diverse, economically strong, and just about anything MEGACITY over that small dot to the north. I don't understand it at all.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:10 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,914 times
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with SF, but I think a lot of posters need to remember that it really only has 800,000. Many of the Bay Area posters need to be reminded that no one thinks about SF in the same way one thinks about cities like NYC, LA, and Chicago. That's the reality of the situation. I've even heard people put Miami over SF in terms of recognition.

SF is a nice cute city, but there is no other 800,000 city in the country that is as overhyped as SF. Jacksonville, Austin, and Indianapolis have around the same population.

Also, the political scene in SF is off putting to the vast majority of people in the United States.

It just seems like a place that needs to be put in its place.
I think a lot of people take into account the wrong things. Population is a huge factor that goes over some heads. If NYC were cut in half and we only had a Pop of 4 Million or lets so 2 Million, with all of the landmarks and attractions do you think people would care about that? That's the case with SF. People visit the city for what it has to offer, the museums, scenery, etc. I still want to see the Golden Gate Bridge in person to confirm it's the 2nd best bridge in the country

Quote:
You ever had that short nerdy kid in class who used to scream and throw things to act like a cool kid or for attention? Did you also remember that time when the short nerdy kid thought he was cool, but someone put them into their place to remind them that no matter what they do, they will always be the short nerdy kid that only a few people really like?

Sort of reminds me of the relationship between SF and NYC/LA/CHI.

And for your latter comment, well, California is in a tailspin. If this forum any indication, there are plenty of Americans who will no longer spend money anywhere in the State of California, and increasingly, do any business with any California company.

Don't worry though, LA is still cool to us minority urban Northeasterners.

Short, nerdy and attention seekers are 'in' now. That's why SF is getting the hate. Lol just kidding. I really don't think SF deserves all the negativity it's been getting. I've had my fair share of saying it's no NY, but I'm sure they know that.

I still think SF can stand next to L.A though. Look at the stats. . . . People lie numbers don't.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:22 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Exactly. +1

However, it does seem nowadays that many of the Hispanics (read: Mexicans) out in LA don't like my people as much anymore. It really isn't that attractive compared to NYC, but it still is worlds more attractive than SF. Never really met a minority that wanted to move to SF, met a few who went to LA and came back.

You know what's bizarre?

I'm actually boosting LA and saying good things about it, yet none of the LA posters are willing to attack SF for any reason.

You guys have a much better, relevant, diverse, economically strong, and just about anything MEGACITY over that small dot to the north. I don't understand it at all.
That's twisted enough to qualify you as a Giants fan.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
I think a lot of people take into account the wrong things. Population is a huge factor that goes over some heads. If NYC were cut in half and we only had a Pop of 4 Million or lets so 2 Million, with all of the landmarks and attractions do you think people would care about that? That's the case with SF. People visit the city for what it has to offer, the museums, scenery, etc. I still want to see the Golden Gate Bridge in person to confirm it's the 2nd best bridge in the country
Well, its fine if people want to visit it, just like people visit the Catskills or the Jersey Shore, but when such place starts getting touted out as something more important than it really is, then that's when people have problems.

The reality of the situation is that compared to NYC/CHI/LA, SF is small time. For an urban enthusiast site, that's a very important consideration: population. People wouldn't say Tokyo was so massive if it only had 800,000 people.

Quote:
Short, nerdy and attention seekers are 'in' now. That's why SF is getting the hate. Lol just kidding. I really don't think SF deserves all the negativity it's been getting. I've had my fair share of saying it's no NY, but I'm sure they know that.
Correct, SF is no NY. SF wouldn't even be allowed to sit in the same row as NY.

Quote:
I still think SF can stand next to L.A though. Look at the stats. . . . People lie numbers don't.
Which stats are you referring to?

SF can stand next to LA, being LA's servant.

Quote:
That's twisted enough to qualify you as a Giants fan.
I'm an Eagles fan. The NY Giants are our divisional rivals. Remember the NFC Championship game? Just another way SF will never beat NYC, at anything.

Hell, even their baseball team kept their name from NYC, even though they are now the West Coast Cubs.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:38 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
in short why would I an Orthodox Jew want to move to a city that has almost no Orthodox Jews and in addition stands for everything I'm against.
If you're Orthodox, then how come you were on CD posting before the end of Shabbat on 10/1/11? Take that, rosh hashana!

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post21114290

And what a wonderful post that was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you
another great reasons why gays shouldn't adopt children.
I'm sure that god was absolutely fine with you breaking the sabbath to preach hate. At least that much of what you post is consistent. Well, at least now we know not to pay attention to any of your views on diversity!

Old 04-19-2012, 10:04 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,613 times
lol....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, Im sorry but I see people in the water all the time and no one turns into a popsicle. Perhaps your being oversensitive about this?
Quote:
the mediterranean climate which is shared by both NorCal and SoCal means that the coastline is not a humid mess like the East Coast, no its actually a bit cooler right along the pacific shore.
You accuse someone of being sensitive about the cold then go and complain about the humidity Why I hate these I prefer chocolate cake, strawberry cake is nasty arguments.

I understand you though, if I dropped big $$ on a pad in Stinson (what are ya dude, a multimillionaire ?) I'd convince myself I was in love with EVERYTHING there.

But as to a traditional beach, most people mean sunbathing, swimming. You see some people trooper through the clouds, fog, and chilly conditions to do that but otherwise you can't compare them to beaches in socal and you can't compare socal beaches to miami.

And how cold is norcali water? Let's put it this way, I drop you into the ocean and wait for 30-45 minutes you'll have probably drowned from losing control of your arms and legs.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:11 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
If you're Orthodox, then how come you were on CD posting before the end of Shabbat on 10/1/11? Take that, rosh hashana!

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post21114290

And what a wonderful post that was:

I'm sure that god was absolutely fine with you breaking the sabbath to preach hate. At least that much of what you post is consistent. Well, at least now we know not to pay attention to any of your views on diversity!
Because you don't know how to tell time.

Truthly I don't remember the detail so I had to look this up
i posted on 10-01-2011, at 09:29 PM

now granted this if for next year (but the time is for all practical purposes the same on any given day every single year(ex july 5 2001, and 2012 would have the same times (unless they play around with day lights savings time) ))

Zmanim for New York - MyZmanim.com
even following the latest possible time that is listed here (there are even later times but this surpasses them all) I still had a hour and a half to turn on the computer read the comment and write

you do know that there is a difference between Eastern Standard Time and Pacific Standard Time. and since your options are set to Pacific you're seeing what time I posted in Pacific Standard Time. Which would be irrelevant to Shabbos and would make every single Jew in the NY metro a sabbath violator.

in short your a big fool that you looked up all my old posts to find the one time I supposedly posted on Shabbos and you still got it wrong.

I would buy you a watch but somehow I don't think you ever learned how to read it. I guess when you moved from NY to SF you tremendously increased the avg IQ of both cities.

Last edited by NY Jew; 04-19-2012 at 10:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City