Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
Denver 194 69.04%
Charlotte 87 30.96%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 04:11 AM

620 posts, read 1,198,074 times

Advertisements

Denver posters are delusional about Denver event though it still wins.

Denver for the marijuana!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 12:42 PM

489 posts, read 910,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
This isn't a fair comparison, IMO. There's really no city in the US quite like Denver. Cities like Charlotte are a dime a dozen in the South. Really, when you think about it, there isn't much that differentiates Charlotte from Atlanta, Raleigh, Nashville, etc. other than skyline and population.
I actually don't really disagree with your second statement. The major differences in most southern cities aren't really that major. This obviously excludes places like Richmond (for the most part), Charleston, Asheville, Chattanooga, etc. No two cities are the same, but those cities you names (among others) have A LOT more in common than not, on a number of different areas (cultures, suburbs, center cities, sprawl, climate, tree canopy).

But your first statement... the first time I went to Denver in 2004 I kept saying how different areas reminded me of home (Charlotte). I've been several times since, including as recently as 2011. It's not that different than all of these other cities. People act like it's as unique as Seattle or San Francisco, when really it's mostly just another suburbanites paradise. I've just yet to really see anything that really makes me think Denver is that "special" of a place.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:55 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
I've just yet to really see anything that really makes me think Denver is that "special" of a place.
Pot, beer, access to the best skiing in America, and lots of sunny days. That and for anyone that lives in the Mountain Time Zone, it's "The City". But yeah I get what your saying, as a city it doesn't have the cachet or character of cities like Boston, SF, or Seattle.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 02-04-2014 at 01:07 PM..

Old 02-04-2014, 02:36 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
Suburban Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, etc. are all remarkably similar. For example, if you were blindfolded and dropped in suburban Charlotte, how would be able to discern where you are from, say, suburban Atlanta or Raleigh?

OTOH, if you blindfolded and dropped in Denver, at least you'd know you're in Denver, as it's more definable. There's more diversity in scenery and topography in the Denver metro area than there is among all of the cities in the Piedmont region of the South.

That's my point.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:43 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Quote:
Suburban Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, etc. are all remarkably similar. For example, if you were blindfolded and dropped in suburban Charlotte, how would be able to discern where you are from, say, suburban Atlanta or Raleigh?

OTOH, if you blindfolded and dropped in Denver, at least you'd know you're in Denver, as it's more definable. There's more diversity in scenery and topography in the Denver metro area than there is among all of the cities in the Piedmont region of the South.

That's my point.

There are parts of Suburban LA that would feel like suburban SF or suburban San Diego...I don't get your point...There are parts of suburban Chicago that would feel like parts of other midwestern suburban cities...

Old 02-04-2014, 05:11 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
Denver posters are delusional about Denver event though it still wins.

Denver for the marijuana!
What makes you say that? We have delusional posters like every other city on here...

Quote:
BayAreaDave
Even the Bay Area.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:20 PM

704 posts, read 1,791,731 times
Quote:

That's my point.
Or you could be in Salt Lake or Albuquerque or even Boise. And that is only if you are looking west. If you're facing east you might as well be in Kansas City or Indy.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:29 PM

704 posts, read 1,791,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Pot, beer, access to the best skiing in America, and lots of sunny days. That and for anyone that lives in the Mountain Time Zone, it's "The City". But yeah I get what your saying, as a city it doesn't have the cachet or character of cities like Boston, SF, or Seattle.
The majority of people in Denver don't ski and the vast majority have nothing to do with pot. So much of Denver's image is this farsical South Park charade that people soon realize describes a tiny percent of the area. Some people think it's sort of this large celebration of millennial ethos when it is really not much more than a generic, suburbanized family and business town that has the weather and mountains to make it reasonably attractive to a lot of people.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:35 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
The majority of people in Denver don't ski and the vast majority have nothing to do with pot. .
I was replying to a poster was implying what sets Denver apart. Well, it is currently the only place in the US currently that pot can be commercially sold, regardless if the majority of the people arn't doing it. And Colorado still has the best skiing in the US, doesn't really matter who or how many are doing as it's still a big attraction to the area.

Quote:
Some people think it's sort of this large celebration of millennial ethos when it is really not much more than a generic, suburbanized family and business town that has the weather and mountains to make it reasonably attractive to a lot of people.
Denver is different things to different people. I've visited numerous times since the 90's, it's certainly gotten a lot better since then and continues to do so. It's an attractive place for people who like outdoor recreation and lots of sunny days and it has a rapidly improving downtown core.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:41 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Quote:
Or you could be in Salt Lake or Albuquerque or even Boise. And that is only if you are looking west. If you're facing east you might as well be in Kansas City or Indy.
Except all of those places look nothing like Denver. Have you been to these places, GoneNative?

SLC and Boise look similar to Denver, I'll give you that. But you'd clearly be able to tell the difference.

Albuquerque looks nothing like Denver...at all.

Kansas City is hillier and greener than Denver. They look nothing a like.

Indianapolis just doesn't look like Denver.

A serious question. You don't seem to take well to Denver. Why do you stay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City