Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 11:41 AM

160 posts, read 365,619 times

Advertisements

Both cities have a lot of poverty but San Antonio seems to be going in the right direction development/economy wise. Hard to compare though because of the demographics and weather. It's just a matter of opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 05:41 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,428,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenelements View Post
I thought this was about the overall city/metro area, not just the urban core of each place.
OK...the walk across the parking lot to the local Walmarts is very hot in SA's metro and pretty cold in Cleveland's and the drive back to the McMansion is short, but your yard will probably be greener up north.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:34 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Cleveland i think beats san antonio. Its just a better vibe, more attractions and you can live in the city without a car.

Have you even been to S.A.? S.A. is definitely more festive and lively.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:25 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
I've visited both (would never live in either) and while I spent less time in SA (Downtown only) I got the impression that Cleveland has a "big city" feel and didn't get that from SA. I give it to Cleveland hands down because while SA has about as many quality urban neighborhoods they're much smaller with populations around 1,000 o 4,000 each while those in Cleveland have around 9,000 or so. Still not that much considering you could probably count all the great neighborhoods/districts in either city on both hands, but there's undoubtedly more to do in Cleveland despite its love for parking lots and drive thrus it's more intact and destination filled than SA's core.
S.A.'s downtown is filled with attractions all centered around a vibrant urban riverwalk. S.A's downtown has hundreds of dining options, along with an over abundance of retail and a respectable amount of cultural venues, which includes, 3 arts districts, 5 restored theatre palaces, a new museum reach district along the Riverwalk, and lively plazas and squares throughout downtown. Then there is the historical significance that S.A. has.

Metrowide, S.A. has a bigger feel, bigger freeways, more office buildings, just looks bigger. Cleveland does have a few taller buildings downtown for an overall taller skyline but, I wouldn't go as far and say it feels like a much bigger city because it does not. It's rustbelt feeling, versus S.A.'s colorful sunbelt yet old world charm feel that is noticeable on ground level. S.A.'s downtown is also larger territory wise and with the anticipated hemisfair transformation will change the face of downtown. They both have great downtowns, but S.A. has the edge because of the Riverwalk. Cleveland does have the edge as far as downtown museums.

photo credit
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andreas...n/photostream/

photo credit
All sizes | Cleveland Skyline at Sunset | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City