Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 07:49 PM

828 posts, read 661,964 times

Advertisements

LA should be #1 for this easily. While the LA downtown has been long maligned by people, it's still in better shape than Atlanta or Houston. Atlanta second place, Houston third.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 07:11 AM

4 posts, read 2,893 times
I feel like it depends what you're looking for.

Atlanta is more of an east coast city than the other two, although it is the smallest of the three.

LA is by far the coolest and most unique but definitely doesn't have the classic American big city feel that Atlanta has the most of.

I'd still rank them:

1. LA

2. Atlanta

3. Houston

Mostly because I think LA is the most unique, followed by Atlanta tho.

Old 10-10-2021, 12:48 AM

41 posts, read 24,637 times
Well this topic sure would have a totally different set of answers now.

Downtown LA is flooded with the homeless and high crime, while downtown Houston has become a major destination for conventions and has seen a major improvement with shopping, dining, and several hotels

Old 10-10-2021, 09:19 AM

757 posts, read 519,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles765 View Post

Downtown LA is flooded with the homeless and high crime, while downtown Houston has become a major destination for conventions and has seen a major improvement with shopping, dining, and several hotels
All of their downtown leave ALOT to be desired....

Old 10-10-2021, 09:33 AM

5,029 posts, read 6,046,344 times
Quote:

DTLA has had a pretty substantial removal/relocation of homeless in just the last few weeks. The tents are back to being only in the skid row area now.

We also just had a major crime spree that ended with a home invasion and the perpetrator being killed by SWAT, so I guess that I can't argue that. Overall though LA still has much less crime than Atlanta and Houston, so what's high for LA (DTLA) wouldn't necessarily be that high for those two cities.

Overall DTLA seems to be coming back pretty strong. Fans are coming back to Staples, new restaurants are opening, new retail is opening,...I think that it's still very clearly well in front of any other sunbelt downtown, unless SF is considered the sunbelt.

Old 10-10-2021, 12:44 PM

8,948 posts, read 7,020,767 times
LA puts more mass and activity into a single district. It's the most cohesive and active of this group. Its transit is the best and getting better. I'm voting for LA. One big reason is that the historic core is finally being revitalized and mixed with some new buildings, so it's no longer a prosperous but sterile office core and a downtrodden historic area.

Atlanta has some pluses, but the main core isn't as strong. Despite rail, conventions, events, tourist attractions, and a big university, it manages to feel like a place you go to because you have to. Midtown feels like a better place to hang out, and is a plus in Atlanta's favor. But I'd really prefer that half of Midtown's growth would happen around the main core instead. And it would be nice if the main retail area wasn't a secluded spot across the freeway.

Old 10-10-2021, 04:45 PM

663 posts, read 313,008 times
Quote:

Most our cities have seen growth in cores. No one says Houston has not. But LA is also a Legacy city. It seems there are plenty of convention cities in the US all fighting for their share where Houston does not have the largest. Chicago has the largest center in a convention building. Atlanta has seen the biggest jump. Pre-Covid rankings.

Here are the top convention cities.

Which of the following cities are considered top cities for meetings and conventions?

The top 10 cities are:

Orlando, FL.
Washington, DC.
Las Vegas, NV.
Miami, FL.
Chicago, IL.
San Diego, CA.
Phoenix, AZ.
Atlanta, GA.

Old Historic Core of LA downtown. Still has awesome very early 20th century early skyscrapers brick color's to bright white terra cotta tiles of high craftsmanship that survived earthquakes and declines. Some still a work in progress getting repurposed.

Awesome these beauties survive in the blocks of old downtown LA and urban renewal of just leveling old did not reach it all. Sadly it is still close to skid row

Still check out what LA still has and yes a struggle to renew it all, but oh so worth saving these beauties nor seen in Houston. A couple survive. So much else lost cause it was no core value to save more vs Northern cities who still lost some it should not have.

All downtown old LA.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0458...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0426...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0448...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0430...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0509...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0466...7i16384!8i8192

LA boomed all thru the 20th century. It gave us Cali culture, A new style of American Craftsman bungalow housing , the ranch home and more copied thru suburban America.

Houston downtown tried to destroy all of old Houston to build a new modern city. Still most of its towers are 80s 90s build. The remnant left of older is labeled historic finally in a couple blocks that should be much more. Still was not on LA's level. Like no preservationist evolved to save more of old Houston.

Much more could have been more in the core in even more Big oil towers etc. More residential has kicked in and clearly helping. The Convention Center is a beauty. Still it has to share with other cities smaller. Nothing will erase so many huge ugly parking garages in downtown Houston that just are so common.

Old 10-11-2021, 03:58 PM

5,872 posts, read 15,301,744 times
The key to the success of downtown Los Angeles over the other 2 is its residential population. Probably 3 times as many people live in DTLA over the other 2. This brings in restaurants, grocery stores, coffee shops, retail, nightlife and everything else. Throw in a pretty nice public transportation network, world class cultural venues and a pretty large workforce, downtown Houston and Atlanta can't compete.

Old 10-11-2021, 07:26 PM

1,819 posts, read 1,083,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Well lets do the math on this one. LA is twice to three times bigger as a city than the other two. It better have a much more active DT or its 2 to 3 times as weak if one of the other two beat it. I love how NYC and LA come up with these questions where the biggest city darn well better win or its not worth its salt... must be a make them feel better thing.
This.

Old 02-06-2022, 04:24 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,779,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
This.
Yeah, this should be a Downtown Atlanta vs Houston thread only. Maybe throw in a third city close in size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City