Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 08:37 AM

233 posts, read 370,063 times

Advertisements

None of these cities offers a great DT experience for their size. The buildings have too little ground floor activity,they are dangerous at night, public transit is spotty. If you have a car all of them have good to great nightlife that is not centered on the DT office district
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 08:46 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,166,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
None of these cities offers a great DT experience for their size. The buildings have too little ground floor activity,they are dangerous at night, public transit is spotty. If you have a car all of them have good to great nightlife that is not centered on the DT office district
I think Atlanta and L.A. both have good ground floor activity. Atlanta certainly has a lot of ground level mixed used. I agree, I think both are dangerous at night, especially Atlanta below Marietta Str. Atlanta has 6 subway stops in downtown alone. I don't think the public transit is spotty. I actually think most of downtown is served very well by transit. Nightlife is not very great in DT. Atlanta...it's mostly served for tourists....locals go towards Midtown which is essentially a downtown anyway.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:07 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,846,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Because the vast majority of it is office buildings with no mixed used on ground level. Many of those skyscrapers you Houstinans rave about are generally set away from the street, sometimes over 50 feet. It's just not a great urban experience.

Atlanta has a couple of high-rises like that...hell...many cities do, but Atlanta's downtown also has many mid-rises that have mixed used...we have tight, dense sections of downtown with very tight streets as shown with some of the pictures above. Atlanta's downtown was built more like an East Coast downtown and Houston wass built more like a Western downtown....anyone who has been in both downtown would easily note the differences between the two.
I love how your location says "Atlanta sadly," but everytime Atlanta is compared to Houston, you bash Houston.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:09 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,681,299 times
Another silly thread -- Los Angeles is the clear winner here. After LA, you have a much more balanced match up. I personally think Atlanta takes this hands down, but I know opinions vary.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:20 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,293,810 times
Quote:
Because the vast majority of it is office buildings with no mixed used on ground level. Many of those skyscrapers you Houstinans rave about are generally set away from the street, sometimes over 50 feet. It's just not a great urban experience.

Atlanta has a couple of high-rises like that...hell...many cities do, but Atlanta's downtown also has many mid-rises that have mixed used...we have tight, dense sections of downtown with very tight streets as shown with some of the pictures above. Atlanta's downtown was built more like an East Coast downtown and Houston wass built more like a Western downtown....anyone who has been in both downtown would easily note the differences between the two.
What buildings in downtown are set 50 ft away from the street?? Anyways, you will find wide streets in many downtown centers like New York and Chicago. I agree about the mix level, but downtown also offers nightlife, world class theater district, residential, two stadiums, with one just outside of it and more

Old 08-03-2013, 10:49 AM

591 posts, read 824,679 times
Old Town, Scottsdale, Arizona.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:58 PM

5,017 posts, read 6,020,885 times
I've never been to downtown Houston, but I spent some time in downtown Atlanta this past May and downtown LA is pretty far ahead of downtown Atlanta in nearly everything. My guess is that they were pretty equal or maybe Atlanta was even ahead until the last 10 years. But since then downtown LA has changed significantly. It has much more retail, many more people walking around, and considerably more residents. Downtown LA has actual neighborhoods that feel like separate neighborhoods.

Where Atlanta is ahead is that downtown LA really has nothing that draws as many people as Centennial Park/Coca-Cola/Aquarium to one area. LA Live would be the closest and imo is already better, but the number of people around Centennial Park speaks for itself. And Underground Atlanta was pretty cool too! Atlanta's subway is arguably better, but I think that LA's subway/light rail actually serve downtown LA at least as well as MARTA serves downtown ATL. When the regional connector and streetcar open, LA will be far ahead.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:19 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,294,426 times
Quote:

What do you mean by "Western Downtown" exactly? San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Denver, Oakland and even San Diego are some of the largest Western downtowns and they are generally walkable with a lot of mixed-use mid-rises, good pedestrian activity, and dense sections.

I think what you mean is built more like a "Sunbelt downtown", especially east of LA/San Diego. Places like Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, and Oklahoma City are the quintessential "skyscrapers away from the street, no mixed-use" downtowns. Outside of the Northeast, I'd say the West Coast plus Denver have some of the better downtowns in the country.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:14 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,070,694 times
LA, Houston and Atlanta. NOLA best downtown activity in the Sun Belt

Old 08-04-2013, 02:26 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,293,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
What do you mean by "Western Downtown" exactly? San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Denver, Oakland and even San Diego are some of the largest Western downtowns and they are generally walkable with a lot of mixed-use mid-rises, good pedestrian activity, and dense sections.

I think what you mean is built more like a "Sunbelt downtown", especially east of LA/San Diego. Places like Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, and Oklahoma City are the quintessential "skyscrapers away from the street, no mixed-use" downtowns. Outside of the Northeast, I'd say the West Coast plus Denver have some of the better downtowns in the country.
What are ya'll talking a bout. Our downtown is similar to that of Chicago in terms of structure. Our skyscrapers are on the streets.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Houst...229.71,,0,4.02

I would say for downtown Houston. Our downtown center is massive with wide streets. Which gives off even more of desolate town center. In terms of feet traffic, You have majority of the city in the tunnels and quite a few above ground during work hours. At night, on Main St it can vary from little to quite a lot depending on the day of the week. Atlanta downtown, from google maps, looks like a NE city with narrow streets which creates more of a crowded, urban feel imo

Our downtown park, Discovery Green, is on a daily full of people. Especially during the summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba41m1GK9aE

This video is during winter.

Our biggest issue is the lack of street retail and mix use.

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 08-04-2013 at 02:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City