Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 05:10 PM

925 posts, read 1,335,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
I think one of the most vibrant parts of downtown Atlanta is on a warm evening on Peachtree near the Fox Theatre after a show has let out. The Fox marquee all lit up, Churchhill Grounds jazz club, The patio of the Georgian Terrace across the street...it really makes Atlanta seem dense and active.
thats lower midtown.

ATL is out of the race unless it includes midtown or just midtown. IMO DT Atlanta is no-mans (zombie)land most of the time even including business hours except maybe lunch hours and convention time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 05:19 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,151,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
thats lower midtown.

ATL is out of the race unless it includes midtown or just midtown. IMO DT Atlanta is no-mans (zombie)land most of the time even including business hours except maybe lunch hours and convention time.
Ridiculous. Downtown Atlanta is way more vibrant than Downtown Houston throughout the day and at night. Have you ever been in the Peachtree Center area and the Olympic Park area at night? It's loaded with people. My pictures above show it.

If Downtown Atlanta was 'no man's land', I doubt we would have had a ferris wheel built in downtown.

And that's on a normal day without conventions.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:18 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,819,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
thats lower midtown.

R u crazy?When was the last time you were downtown ATL?I live downtown so Im out alot.I can tell you that its preatty packed everyday due to GSU students.More restaurants are open 24/7.This would not happen if there were no people.I can name at least 3 in the Fairlie Poplar area alone.
Most nights I see people hanging out and walking the streets.
Some nights more than others but its hardly rare or a ghost town.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:03 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,882,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Ridiculous. Downtown Atlanta is way more vibrant than Downtown Houston throughout the day and at night. Have you ever been in the Peachtree Center area and the Olympic Park area at night? It's loaded with people. My pictures above show it.

If Downtown Atlanta was 'no man's land', I doubt we would have had a ferris wheel built in downtown.

The only way this is "way more vibrant" than Downtown Houston is if Downtown Houston has just about 0 pedestrian activity.

Those pictures look like there is less pedestrian activity than inner and outer neighborhoods in Los Angeles.

Last edited by munchitup; 08-07-2013 at 10:18 AM..

Old 08-07-2013, 09:29 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,445,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
The only way this is "way more vibrant" than Downtown Houston is if Downtown Houston has just about 0 pedestrian activity.

Those pictures look like there is less pedestrian activity than inner and outer neighborhoods in Los Angeles.
I guess I really need to visit L.A. to see what all the fuss is about. I've never seen any pictures, videos, or television that made Downtown L.A. look that lively. As a matter of fact, seems to me that Hollywood, Santa Monica and some other locals in L.A. have much more pedestrian traffic than Downtown.

Furthermore, the area that most people consider Downtown L.A. is relatively hugemongous. It includes the area around the Staple Center and L.A. Live all the way up to China town and East all the way to the Fashion District. That's about 2 and a half by 1 and a half miles. If you cut out an area of Central Atlanta that large it would include all of Downtown Atlanta plus Midtown Atlanta. So it would only be fair to compare Downtown L.A. to Downtown and Midtown Atlanta in which case I definitely don't think Downtown L.A. has an advantage.

Last edited by Galounger; 08-07-2013 at 09:59 AM..

Old 08-07-2013, 10:24 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,882,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I guess I really need to visit L.A. to see what all the fuss is about. I've never seen any pictures, videos, or television that made Downtown L.A. look that lively. As a matter of fact, seems to me that Hollywood, Santa Monica and some other locals in L.A. have much more pedestrian traffic than Downtown.

Furthermore, the area that most people consider Downtown L.A. is relatively hugemongous. It includes the area around the Staple Center and L.A. Live all the way up to China town and East all the way to the Fashion District. That's about 2 and a half by 1 and a half miles. If you cut out an area of Central Atlanta that large it would include all of Downtown Atlanta plus Midtown Atlanta. So it would only be fair to compare Downtown L.A. to Downtown and Midtown Atlanta in which case I definitely don't think Downtown L.A. has an advantage.
DTLA definitely has more pedestrian activity than Hollywood (at least it is more widespread), not sure about Santa Monica they are probably about equal.

I think DTLA is able to compete with downtown Atlanta + Midtown, and from all I have heard comes out ahead there too.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

Those pictures really dont show it the way I see it most days especially.
There are well over 30,000 students that go to school at GSU. Huge dormitories have popped up all over downtown.It makes a huge difference.Not only that,most of the tourist attraction are downtown.
A whole new club district has popped up within the last few years as well.While I can't say how much more Atlanta's downtown is vibrant over Houston's ,I can say that its noticeably more throughout the whole day and night.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:54 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,253,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Those pictures really dont show it the way I see it most days especially.
There are well over 30,000 students that go to school at GSU. Huge dormitories have popped up all over downtown.It makes a huge difference.Not only that,most of the tourist attraction are downtown.
A whole new club district has popped up within the last few years as well.While I can't say how much more Atlanta's downtown is vibrant over Houston's ,I can say that its noticeably more throughout the whole day and night.
Our downtown is pretty weak for foot traffic, but if you look at the pictures. Downtown Houston has a very sorta open feel and creates a feeling of desolation. Not to mention lack of mix-used developments and street retail. Majority of the restaurants and such are in the underground tunnels. Without those tunnels and those places on the streets, downtown Houston would have more foot traffic.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:55 PM

507 posts, read 808,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post

You consider that a huge area?

Old 08-07-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Our downtown is pretty weak for foot traffic, but if you look at the pictures. Downtown Houston has a very sorta open feel and creates a feeling of desolation. Not to mention lack of mix-used developments and street retail. Majority of the restaurants and such are in the underground tunnels. Without those tunnels and those places on the streets, downtown Houston would have more foot traffic.
Why do they have tunnels anyway?I never went in any of those when I was there.No one told me they existed.Not a good design for a vibrant downtown.
We have Underground which is gets traffic but its not that popular.Just a tourist trap with some ghetteo stores and a lame food court with bad unhealthy food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City