Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:48 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,350 times

Advertisements

If it's so great why the mass influx of people from there to the U.S.? Oh wait, crime, poverty, lack of work. I get it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 11:03 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,272,176 times
I'm going to open a thread titled
"Why do all men in Houston drive big trucks and men in Mexico drive small cars?"

Old 04-21-2012, 01:38 PM

157 posts, read 316,706 times
Default Mexican large cities

Retired to Mexico after being a lifer long Texan. The difference between Guadalajara, Monterrey, Mexico City and Texas cities Dallas, Houston, etc is major as far as enjoyment on a day to day basis. Much mre interesting. Great exciting street life, the arts and culture are everywhere not just in temples, public transportation is really effective.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:45 PM

People in Texas talk about urban density. If you really want to learn about this - talk to a person from Mexico.

People from Mexico move to Texas not because their cities are not good urban models, they have a government and economic system which fails them. Mexican people are among the hardest working people on the planet as studied show. Texas is fortunate to have our Mexican brothers, sisters come.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
If it's so great why the mass influx of people from there to the U.S.? Oh wait, crime, poverty, lack of work. I get it now.
You are right. Living here I don't deny your point.

But to say Texas cities are more interesting and enjoyable as a citizen to live in than Mexico is a stretch. I have personal experience in both.

As a U.S. Texan I would have much preferred that Texas cities were more desirable for living but it just did not turn out that way.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:44 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
It is a pointless discussion. It is great that you have fallen in love with the old European aspects of Mexico, but that is exactly what they are: old European. Neither Houston nor any other American city is ever going to look like this. We dumped European ownership before there was much development of our country and we went off in our own direction. Mexico was under Spanish control for longer and maintained a very heavy Spanish influence thereafter. Mexico wanted to look like Europe. The set of pictures that you posted that were not of natural beauty (which Houston can do nothing about) look like any decent sized city in Spain (or elsewhere in Europe for that matter).
Well, a lot of US cities looked a lot more like European (northern European) cities up until subsidized suburbanization and then urban decay and then urban "renewal" came in and crashed the party. Kind of a pity in a lot of ways, but we had cheap fuel then and there was a lot of pollution from industry in urban areas making it unpleasant at the time so it sort of made sense.

On topic: yes, Mexico's cities are often beautiful. It's too bad the government had been so horribly ineffectual down there and the demand for narcotics so strong up here. Ah well.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:02 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,789,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
You are right. Living here I don't deny your point.

But to say Texas cities are more interesting and enjoyable as a citizen to live in than Mexico is a stretch. I have personal experience in both.

As a U.S. Texan I would have much preferred that Texas cities were more desirable for living but it just did not turn out that way.
As a fellow Texan I understand what you mean. I remember going from San Antonio to Monterrey one time and it left me wondering so many questions. Why does Monterrey seem so progressive compared to other US cities? Why is it so crowded everywhere, like nobody stays in their houses or something? What did Monterrey do that it's neighbors to the north particularly San Antonio and Austin can imitate to get rail?

When I got home to Dallas I started investigating more about it's rapid system and I couldn't believe that it actually opened up 5 years before Dallas' and 14 years before Houston's!

Old 04-22-2012, 04:14 PM

124 posts, read 238,873 times
I Like Guad, Mexican cities are just so much colorful than than US cities

Old 04-23-2012, 04:54 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,923 times
Quote:
If it's so great why the mass influx of people from there to the U.S.?
Actually, the influx appears to be over, and is reversing:

Number of illegal immigrants from Mexico drops for the first time in decades: report

Quote:
The number of Mexican immigrants living illegally in the U.S. has dropped significantly for the first time in decades, a dramatic shift as many illegal workers, already in the U.S. and seeing few job opportunities, return to Mexico.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:02 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,909 times
Monterrey and San Antonio though different are like sisters connected to the rib.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City