Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 06:11 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,173,762 times

Advertisements

Partner and I, early 40's, are looking to relocate from Northern VA to either Philadelphia, Baltimore, or Raleigh. Our careers are in defense contracting and social services, and we are interested in some general feedback of the pros and cons of each place.

Our initial primary interest is for Raleigh, but will be making a weekend road trips to each location this summer and hoping to make the move sometime next year.

Any and all feedback/suggestions appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 07:46 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
For defense contracting the Baltimore area will by far have the most job offerings due to its proximity to NOVA.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:30 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Looks like you guys are in the best spot now given your careers. But I know the SSA is headquartered in Baltimore. Raleigh is a state capital, so there will be state agencies related to social services. Not too sure about defense contracting in either though. NOVA is pretty much ground-zero for that.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:35 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
The Research Triangle Park (actually in Durham) has a number of defense contract-related companies. As a former resident of all three areas I would recommend NC the most for it's more laidback, less frenetic lifestyle.... if that's something you find appealing.

Research Triangle Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-20-2012, 08:36 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Partner and I, early 40's, are looking to relocate from Northern VA to either Philadelphia, Baltimore, or Raleigh. Our careers are in defense contracting and social services, and we are interested in some general feedback of the pros and cons of each place.

Our initial primary interest is for Raleigh, but will be making a weekend road trips to each location this summer and hoping to make the move sometime next year.

Any and all feedback/suggestions appreciated.
You're doing the right thing by taking the time to visit each location. I'd also suggest going to each Citi-Data forum (Philly, Baltimore, Raleigh-Durham) and seeing watching the posts. This gives a good idea of what's important to the area's residents - crime, schools, sports, and so on.

When you said "Raleigh" I don't know if you specifically meant the city or the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill metro area. Big difference, worth checking into each city. I used to live in Chapel Hill, then moved to Philly. Love it here, but if it ever moved back to the Triangle, I'd chose Durham.

Philly pros: density (easy access to anything you need, good mass transit); affordable (for a Northern city - and not that much more expensive than Chapel Hill); lots of historic, cultural, recreation venues; great restaurants (many are BYO with no surcharge); good "scale" (it's huge, but doesn't overwhelm); beautiful neighborhoods (go to Google Street View in Mt Airy, Chestnut Hill, Overbrook); "passionate" people (they speak their mind - it's refreshing); four distinct seasons; no "car culture" in the city proper (you can get by with one or even no car).
Philly cons: quality of life varies greatly by location, as in any city - crime, litter, parking issues can make you miserable; if you don't perceive the "passionate" people mentioned above for what they are, you'll see them as rude or worse.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:00 AM

Agree, being here all our lives, a change has been needed for some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Looks like you guys are in the best spot now given your careers. But I know the SSA is headquartered in Baltimore. Raleigh is a state capital, so there will be state agencies related to social services. Not too sure about defense contracting in either though. NOVA is pretty much ground-zero for that.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:02 AM

Yes, yes, and oh, yes!

Guess that is the reason behind our decision to begin with. After both being born and raised in the Northern VA, we have seen all the changes, some for the better, and some for the worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The Research Triangle Park (actually in Durham) has a number of defense contract-related companies. As a former resident of all three areas I would recommend NC the most for it's more laidback, less frenetic lifestyle.... if that's something you find appealing.

Research Triangle Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-20-2012, 11:46 AM

Looking for any and all feedback, but just realize this should have been posted under the City vs. City forum so posting over there from now on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City