Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City/Metro Would You Not Want to Live In?
Cleveland 38 15.14%
San Antonio 11 4.38%
Detroit 89 35.46%
Salt Lake City 26 10.36%
Orlando 24 9.56%
Boston 13 5.18%
Seattle 7 2.79%
Phoenix 43 17.13%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 06:52 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Salt Lake City - Too many mormons.
EXACTLY! SLC is my pick.

I almost missed that choice and was going to put down San Antonio. I've driven across San Antonio on I-10 and thought "no thanks." Really bland. How much mileage can one get out of the Riverwalk and the Alamo? Seriously.

I think I could find some things to do in Detroit's greater area and Cleveland has the lakefront, though both would be cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 07:08 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
Salt Lake City would be the very last place I would want to live on this list. I made a mistake an selected Orlando. I know the scenery is nice, but I just could not see myself living there.

After Salt Lake City Boston would be next. No offense to Bostonians I just never liked that city.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:21 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
After Salt Lake City Boston would be next. No offense to Bostonians I just never liked that city.
Just curious, what is it about Boston that torques you? The density, the costliness, the weather, the attitude, or something else?

Old 04-20-2012, 08:15 PM

239 posts, read 509,132 times
In order least to best

Detroit: Bad economy (despite people saying it's making a comeback), winters are too cold and I don't like most rustbelt cities.

Cleveland: As I stated I don't like rustbelt cities.

Salt Lake City: Beautiful scenery but culturally I can't see myself living there long term, but perhaps if I had to live there it would be within the city limits only.

San Antonio: A nice place to visit, but do not like the culture or lifestyle there because it doesn't feel progressive enough for me.

Boston: I know most people love Boston and it is a great city, but personally I'm not a fan of the New England vibe. I also grew up in the NE so I need a change of scenery.

Phoenix: I like the outdoor activity offerings and the city is growing, but it seems to have a weak downtown for a city its size. I also don't like the desert setting.

Seattle: Nice city and beautiful scenery but I couldn't live there long term because of the rainy/overcast climate.

Orlando: Believe it or not I'd probably chose Orlando out of all these cities for long term living. There is just something about Orlando that makes it a very cheery place. It's the most progressive city in Florida and because it's up-and-coming everything is very new and clean. Downtown has also made vast improvements in recent years with a good nightlife and stores. All of the tourism is concentrated in the theme parks and rarely do tourists make it to downtown. Disney World is not in the actual city limits of Orlando but rather in a town called Lake Buena Vista which is 30 min southwest.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:56 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,933 times
Detroit - If living in the city. Also, the weather would be a turn off, so scratch that, Id rather not live in the metro either. Just cant deal with those winters.

Phoenix - Not sure why this city ever got so big. Cant handle desert climates.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:03 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,052,603 times
Phoenix, mostly because it's too damn hot and tries too damn hard to be LA.
Also Orlando, it's basically a mini-Houston + Disneyland, not my thing.
I've never been to Cleveland or Detroit, but from what I know they probably aren't places that I would like either.
SLC is quite pretty, if I had to live in Utah that would probably be the only part as I'm not a huge fan of overly religious areas.
San Antonio is great to visit, not sure if I would live there however.
Boston seems like it would be cool, though I've only been there once and don't remember it well.

Out of all of these, Seattle would be my favourite, as I grew up in the Northwest and it's the only place I truly feel home.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:41 AM

161 posts, read 211,448 times
Quote:
Cleveland - Too cold.

Phoenix - Too hot.

Detroit - Crime-infested rat hole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubs View Post
I choose detroit because its a death city
I feel like too many people just bash Detroit without knowing it just because it seems acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
You know, there are these things called sunscreen, roofs and (sit down for this one) clothes. If you want to get really cutting-edge, you can even spring for "air-conditioning".

In these here modern times, your racial makeup doesn't have to determine where you live
I would not want to be confined to the indoors. Just because you can does not mean that you should.

Sunscreen only works for so long with the sun being so strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
EXACTLY! SLC is my pick.
Too Liberal for you.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:42 AM

161 posts, read 211,448 times
Phoenix would be my choice. I cannot stand the heat.

Quote:
Cleveland - Too cold.

Phoenix - Too hot.

Detroit - Crime-infested rat hole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubs View Post
I choose detroit because its a death city
I feel like too many people just bash Detroit without knowing it just because it seems acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
You know, there are these things called sunscreen, roofs and (sit down for this one) clothes. If you want to get really cutting-edge, you can even spring for "air-conditioning".

In these here modern times, your racial makeup doesn't have to determine where you live
I would not want to be confined to the indoors. Just because you can does not mean that you should.

Sunscreen only works for so long with the sun being so strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
EXACTLY! SLC is my pick.
Too Liberal for you.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:49 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Seattle, I am a suicide prevention counselor and I hate working more than 40 hours/week.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:03 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
Orlando: Believe it or not I'd probably chose Orlando out of all these cities for long term living. There is just something about Orlando that makes it a very cheery place. It's the most progressive city in Florida and because it's up-and-coming 20 years ago, everything is very new and clean. Downtown has also made vast improvements in recent years with a good nightlife and stores. All of the tourism is concentrated in the theme parks and rarely do tourists make it to downtown. Disney World is not in the actual city limits of Orlando but rather in a town called Lake Buena Vista which is 30 min southwest.
This is quite possibly one of the funniest comments ever on C-D. Orlando and progressive in the same sentence? Have you ever spent time here other than at Disney World? It's primarily a service economy with a proliferation of part-time, no benefit $8 an hour jobs, a transportation infrastructure suited for 20 years ago, very little in the way of cultural activities due in part to the fact it is the city with one of the lowest per capita populations with a college education, a poor restaurant/food scene and a mess of suburban sprawl resulting in a fraction of area residents who actually live in the city (city population is just 238,000). "New and clean" does not equate to progressive for most folks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City