Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City/Metro Would You Not Want to Live In?
Cleveland 38 15.14%
San Antonio 11 4.38%
Detroit 89 35.46%
Salt Lake City 26 10.36%
Orlando 24 9.56%
Boston 13 5.18%
Seattle 7 2.79%
Phoenix 43 17.13%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 08:01 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post

Salt Lake City - Too many mormons.
How exactly does this negatively impact your life?

I dont get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 08:08 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,909 times
I bet San Antonio is a better city than any of the haters comment. Bring it on

Old 04-21-2012, 08:09 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Just curious, what is it about Boston that torques you? The density, the costliness, the weather, the attitude, or something else?
The people.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:59 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
For the most part, people are going to react negatively when they hear their hometown bashed. The unfortunate thing is that I suspect most of the people who have such strong negative opinions about a city have never even visted there, much less lived there or even known someone who has. All of their assumptions are based on stereotypes, many of which are completely wrong.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:41 AM

239 posts, read 509,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
This is quite possibly one of the funniest comments ever on C-D. Orlando and progressive in the same sentence? Have you ever spent time here other than at Disney World? It's primarily a service economy with a proliferation of part-time, no benefit $8 an hour jobs, a transportation infrastructure suited for 20 years ago, very little in the way of cultural activities due in part to the fact it is the city with one of the lowest per capita populations with a college education, a poor restaurant/food scene and a mess of suburban sprawl resulting in a fraction of area residents who actually live in the city (city population is just 238,000). "New and clean" does not equate to progressive for most folks...
I didn't say Orlando was perfect, I just stated it was one of the better cities in this poll IMO. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Compared to other cities in Florida, Orlando is headed in the right direction and slowly expanding it's economy. I also find Orlando to be much more cosmopolitan than its neighbor Tampa as well.

I spent years in Albany, NY. Other than having a higher percentage of people with college education (and that is only because Albany is home of the NYS government and has many colleges in the area), Orlando is superior to Albany in every single way. If you visited or lived in Albany for sometime, you'd be running back and kissing the ground of Orlando and appreciate what it has to offer.

And the sprawl comment is ridiculous. As I stated in another post I don't get why places like Orlando, LA, and Phoenix get so much bash on CD for being sprawl. Every city in the US has its sprawl. Growing up outside NYC I can tell you that the suburbs are just as sprawl as Orlando and are full of chain restaurants.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:19 AM

214 posts, read 673,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
How exactly does this negatively impact your life?

I dont get it.
Check out their liquor laws, for one.

When 70%+ of your population is ultra-conservative, it definitely impacts others who are not the same way.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:57 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,111 times
In order from least to best...

-Detroit. I'm tired of waiting on that one 40 year renaissance while other cities that were once comparable to Detroit (Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia) have moved on and have had several renaissances over the last 40 years. It's also too cloudy with all the lake stratus.

-Cleveland. Similar reasons as Detroit. But they're doing something at least somewhat right there. The people in their metro area actually are proud of their city and embrace regional vitality.

-Phoenix. The weather sucks (I love mdiwestern weather) and it's way too half-ass backwards for me socially, economically and politically.

-San Antonio. The weahter's much more tolerable than Phoenix in comparison, but again like Phoenix it's also way too half-ass backwards for me socially, economically and politically.

-Salt Lake City. Similar to Orlando.

-Orlando. It's too boring if you're not a fan of corporate-owned theme parks. It's still doesn't have midwestern weather either. I'm also not a fan of how half-ass backwards Florida is economically, politically and socially.

-Seattle. I love everything else about it (very progressive socially, economically and politically). It's also a growing city and a city that has strategically built infrastructure. However, I can't stand all the rain and cloudy weather.

-Boston. Similar to Seattle. Love everything else about it but the weather. The summer's are too cold, not enough severe weather. However, I do like the fact that they see a lot of MAJOR snowstorms, after which the snow quickly melts.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:03 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,660,597 times
lol 313weather, every place on that list you don't seem to like the weather.

So where do you like it

Old 04-21-2012, 11:11 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
lol 313weather, every place on that list you don't seem to like the weather.

So where do you like it
I like midwestern weather. I like the fact that you can go from 30*F and heavy snow to 95*F and severe t'storms in one day.

However, it would have to live somewhere outside the lake-effect zones (locations immediately south and east of the Great Lakes). That immediately eliminates Detroit and Cleveland in terms of indisputable midwestern cities (Pittsburgh and Buffalo as well, and also Toronto).

Gray/overcast weather, especially when it's constant, just makes everything more depressing IMO. I love sunshine.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:26 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,441,022 times
Every single thing I've heard about Orlando makes it seem like it would be hell on earth for me.

I don't think Detroit should have so many votes. Living in Detroit does not necessarily mean living in a ghetto, believe it or not. There are nice areas in the city and lot of suburbs that are perfectly fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City