Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you prefer ? Dallas or San Diego ?
Dallas 106 32.72%
San Diego 210 64.81%
It's a Tie! 8 2.47%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 09:27 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1953 View Post
This will be fun. Let's do a quick comparison between San Diego and the sexy Dallas promotional video. I think it would be funny to see the same scenes, but captured in San Diego. They would really speak to why San Diego is more interesting and has more to offer.

Horses/Ranch/Farm/nature
  • SD has more horses per capita than any county in the country
  • SD has more farms than any county in the country
  • SD has the 10th highest agricultural output of any county in the county.
  • SD has a national forest, multiple state parks (desert to mountains to coast), and is the most biologically rich county in the country.
Arts District
  • Dallas arts district is like half parking lots and abuts a freeway. Balboa Park any day.
Downtown Parks
  • Balboa Park case closed (Embarcadero, Waterfront Park are great too)
Convention Center
T
  • Dallas is bigger, but definitely not better. Is that a theme with Texas? Seriously..
Sports Facilities
  • Yay isolated stadiums surrounded by parking lots?
Airport
  • One of the few things Dallas has over San Diego
Zoo
  • World Famous Dallas Zoo? No.
Sailing, golfing, beach volleyball
  • San Diego. No question. Doesn't really require an explanation.
Breweries
  • San Diego. No question. Third most in US after Portland and Denver.
Nightlife
  • Debatable, but San Diego is definitely more of a destination for nightlife than Dallas. Nobody associates Dallas with partying.
Light rail
  • San Diego's has more riders, Dallas has more route miles. Dallas goes to Plano, San Diego goes to Mexico.
State/County Fair
  • Texas State Fair is 2nd most attended in US. San Diego County fair is the 3rd most attended in US. San Diego's has better weather and is next to the Ocean
Presidential library
  • Sure okay.
Best Public High School
  • Sure okay. Not sure why this is in a promotional video. Running out of material? Preuss in San Diego stacks up pretty high.
Fasting Growing Region
  • = traffic, suburban sprawl, outdate infrastructure unable to keep up with the pace of growth. San Diego experience this in the 60s-90s. No thanks. We're no concentrating growth in infill areas.

In summary, Dallas is not special nor does it have unique attractions. It's a standard American city. What is does have over San Diego in particular is COL and a larger job market. But that's about it.

Last edited by newgensandiego; 10-18-2018 at 09:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 10:51 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
It doesn't sound like you've explored much of Dallas, especially if you thought Houston was much better. I think Dallas & Houston are fairly equal cities, so I find that surprising. Did you visit Uptown, Bishop Arts, Deep Ellum, or Lower Greenville? Walk the Katy Trail? White Rock Lake? Those are great spots with people actually outside. Similar to Houston and LA, you have to know where to look. But I do find Dallas slightly more visitor and pedestrian friendly than Houston.
I was there 3 nights and that was enough time for me. I visited Uptown and Bishops Arts. Only drove thru Bishop Arts during the day and there wasn't much going on. Like Deep Ellum, i'm guessing evenings are it's most vibrant. Deep Ellum looked a little run down during the day. Not sure what it is about the neighborhood commercial strips in Dallas and Houston and why they look so shabby? Rice Village and Montrose in Houston have the same appearance.

Quote:
Balboa Park>Klyde Warren Park
Kind of apples to oranges. There's a major size difference between the two and they're used for different functions. You would have to pull in the Dallas Arts District next door to it for a slightly fairer comparison. Even then, Fair Park, the Dallas Zoo, and Arboretum are in separate areas. However, I can see how Balboa is attractive for having a large concentration of amenities.
True. But Klyde Warren seemed like the only active park of city. Don't get me wrong, it's really nice, but not a place you would spend hours and get lost in. There are a couple parks in downtown San Diego that are probably more comparable.

Quote:
Craft beer scene
Neither city is like Portland's, but Dallas's has improved over the past few years. San Diego may indeed have a better craft beer scene than Dallas, but I've never heard of it described as such. What places did you visit in Dallas?
You might be the only person out there who's not familiar with SD's craft beer scene and how it's right up there with Portland, Seattle and Denver. I'll let others chime in on this one.

Quote:
More vibrant downtown. Victory Park is a ghost town.
Victory Park is NOT Downtown. Apples to oranges comparison. Downtown Dallas itself is less vibrant than DT San Diego, but definitely more vibrant than Victory Park. It's also technically not the epicenter of everything in Dallas. Most of the better nightlife options are in nearby Deep Ellum and Uptown. Downtown Houston is very similar to Downtown Dallas, so again I find it surprising that you prefer it much more.
Downtown Dallas definitely shuts down after 5pm. And yes, I saw that Uptown was the place to be in the evenings. I just prefer the vibe of Houston, is all.

Quote:
I'm not saying any of this makes Dallas better than San Diego, but it sounds like you drove over the McDermott Bridge, visited Victory Park for either a game or the Perot, and perhaps Klyde Warren and that was it? I could be wrong....
I had a car and drove everywhere. And honestly, there really isn't much to see and do in Dallas for a visitor. I even drove out to Fort Worth to check out the Kimball Museum and the Stockyards. The main reason why I was there was to catch a Rangers game. And don't get me started on the terrible location of the stadium. Surrounded by warehouses and parking lots? Awful.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Dallas has In N Out. Dallas even has 99 Ranch and 85 degrees C bakery, the Chinese supermarket and bakery you find in San Diego.

Ever had Waffle House? Far better than IHOP.

As for sprawl, San Diego suburbs, esp Escondido and Poway, are just as sprawly as Plano or Frisco.

Dallas gets more of the four seasons, with snow every year. Also, much more rain and greenery in the summer than San Diego.
I'm aware that Dallas has In n Out, and wanted to add something subjective to the list to keep it light. I ate at Waffle House once and can't even remember what I had to eat. I don't do IHOP lol

And we get snow, too, but have the option to drive to it.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1953 View Post
It sure says a lot about Dallas when a video promoting the city includes the airport, light rail and a high school as highlights

This kid on his skateboard does a better job of boosting SD without ever saying a word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qStAUJkBv0

Old 10-20-2018, 06:13 AM

638 posts, read 567,895 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ2qtQ4OS2k

Old 10-20-2018, 06:42 AM

1,168 posts, read 775,718 times
Loving the quiet confidence of Dallasites in this thread

I haven't been to SD yet, but I'm sure I'd like it. There are no boring cities only boring people.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:46 PM

638 posts, read 567,895 times
Default A City Is A Poem

[vimeo]155309476[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/155309476

Old 10-23-2018, 07:59 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
This will be fun. Let's do a quick comparison between San Diego and the sexy Dallas promotional video. I think it would be funny to see the same scenes, but captured in San Diego. They would really speak to why San Diego is more interesting and has more to offer.

Horses/Ranch/Farm/nature
  • SD has more horses per capita than any county in the country
  • SD has more farms than any county in the country
  • SD has the 10th highest agricultural output of any county in the county.
  • SD has a national forest, multiple state parks (desert to mountains to coast), and is the most biologically rich county in the country.
Arts District
  • Dallas arts district is like half parking lots and abuts a freeway. Balboa Park any day.
Downtown Parks
  • Balboa Park case closed (Embarcadero, Waterfront Park are great too)
Convention Center
T
  • Dallas is bigger, but definitely not better. Is that a theme with Texas? Seriously..
Sports Facilities
  • Yay isolated stadiums surrounded by parking lots?
Airport
  • One of the few things Dallas has over San Diego
Zoo
  • World Famous Dallas Zoo? No.
Sailing, golfing, beach volleyball
  • San Diego. No question. Doesn't really require an explanation.
Breweries
  • San Diego. No question. Third most in US after Portland and Denver.
Nightlife
  • Debatable, but San Diego is definitely more of a destination for nightlife than Dallas. Nobody associates Dallas with partying.
Light rail
  • San Diego's has more riders, Dallas has more route miles. Dallas goes to Plano, San Diego goes to Mexico.
State/County Fair
  • Texas State Fair is 2nd most attended in US. San Diego County fair is the 3rd most attended in US. San Diego's has better weather and is next to the Ocean
Presidential library
  • Sure okay.
Best Public High School
  • Sure okay. Not sure why this is in a promotional video. Running out of material? Preuss in San Diego stacks up pretty high.
Fasting Growing Region
  • = traffic, suburban sprawl, outdate infrastructure unable to keep up with the pace of growth. San Diego experience this in the 60s-90s. No thanks. We're no concentrating growth in infill areas.

In summary, Dallas is not special nor does it have unique attractions. It's a standard American city. What is does have over San Diego in particular is COL and a larger job market. But that's about it.
I think the best thing about Dallas is its' sheer size. Huge metroplex, yep everything is bigger in Texas.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:07 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,110 times
Dallas. No Question... the Dallas metro is almost of the size of the land (Chicago). Only here is this favoring SD

Old 10-23-2018, 09:32 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,885,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Dallas. No Question... the Dallas metro is almost of the size of the land (Chicago). Only here is this favoring SD
So Jacksonville Florida at 747 square miles (Dallas, at a mere 386 square miles) is obviously a much better city than Dallas by your metrics.

I’ve never been to Dallas but have also never quantified a city’s attributes and desirability by only its physical size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City