Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you prefer ? Dallas or San Diego ?
Dallas 106 32.72%
San Diego 210 64.81%
It's a Tie! 8 2.47%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 11:18 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
San Diego and it's not even close. Anyone who voted for Dallas has either never been to San Diego or has shown a very deep bias for Texas.
I mean, both of those things apply to me (I've been to LA, though) but it doesn't matter. I prefer Dallas and I prefer Texas. I don't care for California. Its overhyped. Nice to visit but it would be hell to live in for me. I wouldn't wanna live in Dallas, either, for the record. I think a lot of it is pretty ghetto especially places like Oak Cliff and Pleasant Grove. I like Fort Worth, though. I also prefer Southern culture over West Coast. People have their preferences. I prefer Minneapolis-Saint Paul over anywhere else in the world. That's my bias and my preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 11:21 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Regarding the weather and scenery argument, the issue much of Texas has is the lack of geographic barriers. This means that air masses of all kinds are free to influence the land, creating a "master of none" setting, wherein benefits of one feature get cancelled out by another. For example, Dallas can get plentiful humid air masses with rain, but all the dryness it can get stunts the vegetation, and prevents it from looking lush like places farther East.

Southern Texas (east of the Balcones Escarpment) is where Gulf maritime air masses start becoming more dominant. And this allows the landscape and weather to be better. So while I will take SD weather over that of Dallas .... I will take Houston, Corpus, and South Padre weather over that of SD's.

Californians think that anywhere that gets an ounce of humidity is "too humid." I swear the only folks that think Minnesota is humid in the summer seem to be people from California or Colorado. And those people think Dallas is EXTREMELY humid in the summer. North Texas isn't all that lush but its still more lush (especially in spring) than Southern California is.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:54 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Californians think that anywhere that gets an ounce of humidity is "too humid." I swear the only folks that think Minnesota is humid in the summer seem to be people from California or Colorado. And those people think Dallas is EXTREMELY humid in the summer.
Ironically, if you are along the coast in California, that is an EXTREMELY humid environment: it's just that the cool waters don't create high dew points that constitute the muggy feel.

Quote:
North Texas isn't all that lush but its still more lush (especially in spring) than Southern California is.
Definitely.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:31 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,657,112 times
Quote:
I mean, both of those things apply to me (I've been to LA, though) but it doesn't matter. I prefer Dallas and I prefer Texas. I don't care for California. Its overhyped. Nice to visit but it would be hell to live in for me. I wouldn't wanna live in Dallas, either, for the record. I think a lot of it is pretty ghetto especially places like Oak Cliff and Pleasant Grove. I like Fort Worth, though. I also prefer Southern culture over West Coast. People have their preferences. I prefer Minneapolis-Saint Paul over anywhere else in the world. That's my bias and my preference.
I'm the opposite. I don't like Texas too much, at least the parts I've been to. San Antonio is nice, but other than that, I thought the other cities I went to were underwhelming. But the cowboys have a VERY NICE stadium. I'll give you that. (even though it's in Arlington)

Old 01-31-2018, 12:37 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty_Baylor99 View Post
I’ve lived in both and in my opinion, it will totally depend on where you are in your life and what your job is. My answers are bolded.

Universities : Dallas- Dallas has SMU, University of Texas at Dallas, University of North Texas, TWU, in addition to Baylor nursing school and satellite campuses, plus you could include TCU if you factor the DFW area; San Diego has SDSU (party school) and USD
San Diego also has UCSD which is a better university and ranked higher than anything in Dallas.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:25 AM

515 posts, read 557,906 times
San Diego for climate and scenery, Dallas for everything else.
Crime and vibe: draw
I like both cities, but Dallas wins for me if you factor in COL(which is major).

Old 01-31-2018, 01:37 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,603 times
Quote:
Oak Cliff covers a large area, so when you say it's "ghetto" you're unintentionally including areas like Bishop Arts and Kessler, which are the opposite of crime ridden. Uptown & Oak Lawn, one of the 2 densest areas in Dallas, aren't ghetto either. Much of East Dallas -- not ghetto.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:30 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,937,987 times
Quote:
You probably only really visited the southern half of Dallas to say that the city is mostly ghetto. Oak Cliff is massive, probably more massive than you realize. It really depends on what part of Oak cliff you’re in. Some parts of Oak Cliff is extremely nice with multimillion dollar homes, other parts are very blited.

That’s the first time I’ve ever heard someone say that, again you’ve probably have not spent a lot of time all around the city.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:15 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,892,341 times
San Diego would win for me the Ocean, and scenery beats anything in Dallas. For a high paying job with low cost of living Dallas would be nice, but outdoor adventures is a huge part of my life, and I just don't get that outdoorsy vibe from Dallas.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:24 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,892,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Regarding the weather and scenery argument, the issue much of Texas has is the lack of geographic barriers. This means that air masses of all kinds are free to influence the land, creating a "master of none" setting, wherein benefits of one feature get cancelled out by another. For example, Dallas can get plentiful humid air masses with rain, but all the dryness it can get stunts the vegetation, and prevents it from looking lush like places farther East.

Southern Texas (east of the Balcones Escarpment) is where Gulf maritime air masses start becoming more dominant. And this allows the landscape and weather to be better. So while I will take SD weather over that of Dallas .... I will take Houston, Corpus, and South Padre weather over that of SD's.
Winch is what sucks so bad. Dallas reminds me of a green desert, and that simply bores me to death. I see it as A city with an amazing economy, but the scenery just really throws me off. As much as i love the ocean I love the forest, and you get neither in Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City