Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Charlotte 58 55.77%
Sacramento 46 44.23%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:49 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,706,247 times

Advertisements

Which of these cities do you prefer? Which is more interesting to you? Both have similar metros are similar in size. Charlotte has 2.3million, Sacramento has 2.5million.
Criteria
Economy:
Schools:
Downtown:
Airport:
Public Transit:
Scenery:
Diversity:
Food Scene:
Quality of life:
Cost or Living:
Where would you rather live:
Where would you rather Vacation:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 08:21 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Which of these cities do you prefer? Which is more interesting to you? Both have similar metros are similar in size. Charlotte has 2.3million, Sacramento has 2.5million.
Criteria
Economy: Charlotte slight edge
Schools: Tie
Downtown: Charlotte
Airport:Charlotte
Public Transit:
Scenery: Charlotte but Sacto has Yosemite nearby
Diversity: Sacto
Food Scene: Sacto
Quality of life: Tie
Cost or Living:Charlotte
Where would you rather live: probably sacto
Sacto becasue so much nearby

My responses above

Old 08-09-2018, 11:13 AM

4 posts, read 6,568 times
bump, I'm looking into this also

Old 08-09-2018, 12:05 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,214,232 times
Despite having a similar metropolitan population, the areas are very different, as Charlotte is the leading regional city for both North Carolina and South Carolina, while Sacramento is greatly overshadowed by nearby San Francisco. Charlotte has key advantages including a far more substantial and dynamic private sector economy, lower cost of living and taxes, better air quality (where Sacramento's situation is exacerbated by recent fires in the area), more extensive air connectivity, and less barren immediate surroundings. Sacramento probably has an edge as far as locally sourced produce and of course the proximity to California's unique attractions, but I think Charlotte offers a better package overall.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:27 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,390 times
Charlotte offers more amenities overall. If you like ethnic and racial diversity, Sacramento is better.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:54 PM

4 posts, read 6,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
Charlotte offers more amenities overall. If you like ethnic and racial diversity, Sacramento is better.
Outside of the airport, which amenities? I’ve found the transit here in CLT to be rather inadequate as it has been in a catch-up or reactive mode or a while. I feel like most of what is available in Charlotte is available in Sacramento. I’m considering a position in Sacramento and ready to explore places outside of Charlotte as the city has driven me a little sour (friendships, etc).

Old 08-09-2018, 02:22 PM

4,400 posts, read 4,295,321 times
Both areas are good in their own rights. However if I had to pick I'd go with Charlotte. I prefer its downtown and southern feel. Also it's still booming.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:33 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Padre98 View Post
Outside of the airport, which amenities? I’ve found the transit here in CLT to be rather inadequate as it has been in a catch-up or reactive mode or a while. I feel like most of what is available in Charlotte is available in Sacramento. I’m considering a position in Sacramento and ready to explore places outside of Charlotte as the city has driven me a little sour (friendships, etc).
For instance, Charlotte's airport is larger, more nonstop destinations. In Sac if you want to fly directly to Europe or even South Florida, you have to go to SF. Charlotte has more pro sports and a livier downtown scene.

Sac's public transit is useless. It doesn't cover the whole city nor does it go to the airport.

But you're correct, mostly everything Charlotte has, you can find it in Sac too.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:16 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
Charlotte

Old 08-09-2018, 03:59 PM

5,829 posts, read 5,635,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Criteria
Economy:
Schools:
Downtown:
Airport:
Public Transit:
Scenery:
Diversity:
Food Scene:
Quality of life:
Cost or Living:
Where would you rather live:
Economy
Charlotte is going to have an economic sweep. Higher GDP growth, higher job growth, more diversified economy, higher income levels in a lower cost of living city(!), lower poverty rate....Charlotte frankly looks like an economic powerhouse next to Sac...

Higher Ed
Almost a complete sweep in the other direction. Sacramento has an elite university, more robust community college system, and Charlotte's law school was mired in controversy and is no longer in existence. Just more educational opportunities in Sacramento...

Downtown
I'm going to call a tie here. Pretty evenly-sized, comparable entertainment districts...

Airport
Well, Charlotte is the 10th busiest airport, but I'm not sure that means much. The last two times I've flown back to Sacramento (including back in April), I always fly through Charlotte, either on the way to or from, and also went through Charlotte on my way to Vermont in January, oddly enough. The airport experience isn't a measurable difference. I say Sacramento is prettier and has a better aesthetic feel....but they're airports, for crying out loud lol...

Public Transit
Someone said Sac's rail doesnt go everywhere in the city or to the airport. What a coincidence that the exact same thing can be said of light rail in Charlotte! Lol...both have tentative plans to expand to their airports, but as is, RT has more than twice the lengths, usage, is older and has higher boarding per square mile. Bus service is also more expansive in Sacramento, with more routes, more connecting routes, higher daily and annual ridership. There isn't a huge gulf between RT and Cats overall, but I find it next to impossible to see how anyone can give advantage Charlotte in this category...

Scenery
Very tough to call. I love Charlotte but have never thought it to be a very picturesque place. Sacramento has some areas that can be sore on the eyes. I think the outlying areas of both regions are, while different topographically and geographically, even on balance. This is a draw...

Diversity
Charlotte is very respectably diverse, but Sacramento would take this category versus most cities. The black and Latino populations are reversed in both cities, but Sac has appreciably more diversity in ethnicities represented, languages spoken, foreign born, etc...

Food
Charlotte has a very underrated luxury dining scene, and probably takes that subcategory. Sac has better farm-to-table dining. Both have a lot of chains but Sac seems to have fewer, though I can't source that. Ethnic foods are well represented in both but as a reflection of Sac's population, you have to think Sac offers a wider variety. Very close, though...

Quality of Life
Obviously this is going to vary by person. I would say Charlotte takes this because you get mostly anything you get in Sacramento, with q higher average income, with a lower cost of living. To me that tips the scales in Charlotte's favor, but listen, I greatly value living in California. If all things were equal (they aren't, but 'if' they were), I would vote California--but Charlotte takes this over Sac...

Rather Vacation/Live
They are very comparably sized. Charlotte has a larger profile as the largest city in its state, but that's the thing. They offer variations of most of the same stuff. Sacramento has mostly anything you get in Charlotte, too, and were it somewhere else, its national profile would be greater...

You'd rather vacation in Sacramento because not only does the core city give you similar amenities, there is a much greater array of things to do in any radius (1-hour, 2-hours, 3-hrs, etc)...

Where you'd rather live depends on what exactly you value. As mentioned above, Charlotte to me has a greater quality of life, but again, it's not like Charlotte offers a hell of a lot more than Sac (or vice-versa). I love both cities, and Sacramento offers me something I obviously can't quantify or replicate in Charlotte (family). So it really just depends on what someone values...

Charlotte has greater name association, is the largest city between DC and Atlanta, and will likely be favored for most people. But they are very similar (in offerings and scale) and I don't think anyone can go wrong with either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City