Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 08:58 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinoisborn14 View Post
Orlando Fl. It is far too expensive for the average family to enjoy the sites such as Disney . The food is above and beyond the prices that most can afford. Have to say it is a pretty place but just cant understand how they can charge the ridiculous prices and make it family friendly.
The problem is that most people never get to see the actual city of Orlando since all the resorts lie many miles to the southwest of the city. The vast majority of Orlando proper is a sprawling suburban metro full of strip malls and chain stores & restaurants.
As for the resorts such as Disney you basically become a hostage on their property during your vacation. hence the expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 09:16 PM

103 posts, read 136,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'd have to vote against Washington, DC, chiefly because all the key attractions are free. Hell, we went up there on vacation this year with the kids and it was the most affordable vacation we've ever spent.
Thats one of the great things about DC. I think it is fantastic that you can visit the Smithsonian museums,the National Zoo,the Memorials,Library of Congress and so many other wonderful and worthwhile sites for free! IMHO this doesn't make it a tourist trap, just the opposite in my book.

My list would include:

Times Square (by far)

South of the Border

Navy Pier

Old 09-14-2013, 09:22 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Times Square is the worst. It's just a wall of people. Barely moving, looking up the whole time with their cameras in their hands. You have to shove your way through, listening to the chatter in a hundred different languages and being bumped into by clueless tourists.

One place I never want to be? Times Square on New Years Eve. I don't care what anyone says, it's gotta be hell unless you're drunk.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:11 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,627,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Not a city but the Four Corners Monument is such a disappointment. And according to Google Maps (i don't know how accurate this is) the monument is entirely within the state of New Mexico, therefore you aren't touching all 4 states.
The Four Corners Monument actually wasn't placed in the right spot, but it is now considered to be the legal and actual point where the four states meet.

Here's the Wikipedia article about the monument which goes into more detail about the situation:

Four Corners Monument - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-15-2013, 10:20 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Times Square is the worst. It's just a wall of people. Barely moving, looking up the whole time with their cameras in their hands. You have to shove your way through, listening to the chatter in a hundred different languages and being bumped into by clueless tourists.

One place I never want to be? Times Square on New Years Eve. I don't care what anyone says, it's gotta be hell unless you're drunk.
But who wouldn't be drunk there? I went to the Dec 31st 1999 one in Times Square, it was pretty fun. Would I do it again, probably not, maybe though.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:35 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
Waikiki Beach and South Beach can be pretty hectic too. Things in both places are expensive and the places are always crowded. Granted, both are beautiful.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:56 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
But who wouldn't be drunk there? I went to the Dec 31st 1999 one in Times Square, it was pretty fun. Would I do it again, probably not, maybe though.
If you were there you'd definitely want to be drunk!

The 1999-2000 one must have been pretty awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City