Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East vs. West
East 57 35.19%
West 87 53.70%
Neither 18 11.11%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 02:07 PM

13,940 posts, read 14,806,353 times

Advertisements

NY, and DC is the only city with the level of Diversity of the west coast.

Everyone knows there are no minoritys in Boston at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 02:09 PM

637 posts, read 1,006,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
NY, and DC is the only city with the level of Diversity of the west coast.

Everyone knows there are no minoritys in Boston at all
Yeah, if Blacks don't count as people and Asians/Mexicans count twice as much as minorities, then sure, you're right.

However, there is also Oregon and Washington which are definitely West Coast and definitely not diverse by ANY stretch of the imagination. I'm not even sure that most people who live in the PNW outside of Seattle and Portland have ever seen any minorities before aside from Mexican farmworker.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:48 PM

886 posts, read 1,555,893 times
LOL this is becoming laughable, there's no such thing as a "west coast megalopolis".

Old 05-17-2012, 04:45 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,671,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
LOL this is becoming laughable, there's no such thing as a "west coast megalopolis".

It's called SoCal and NorCal.

Do you even know what megalopolis means? It refers to when multiple metro areas are next to each other. It doesn't at all refer to the size of a city, which is what I'm assuming you're using it to mean. New York City by itself is not a megalopolis, the Northeast is the megalopolis.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post

Do you even know what megalopolis means?
Educate yourself kid,
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalopolis_(city_type)

It's ok you've never lived in a megalopolis to know what one is. It's a long chain of metros adjacent to each other. Nothing "megalopolis" standard about Sac or SD being near SF or LA. California has 2 megaregions (no its not the same thing) tho so I guess that's "impressive". The only 2 megalopolises in the world are the NEC and Taiheyo belt in Japan. If California had a cohesive megalopolis it would be called SanSan, San Francisco to San Diego but the area between NoCal and SoCal isn't filled in yet

Old 05-17-2012, 05:47 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,799,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
However, there is also Oregon and Washington which are definitely West Coast and definitely not diverse by ANY stretch of the imagination. I'm not even sure that most people who live in the PNW outside of Seattle and Portland have ever seen any minorities before aside from Mexican farmworker.
Oh come on now... both states are huge nature tourist states. That's like saying Non-white people don't go out and see nature. There is some diversity in the areas out of the i5 corridor... granted not in huge numbers, but its not at a point where you have people out there that have only seen other white people.

We also have lots of tribes around as well.

Not that it means much to you: If you're black and want to be in WA... but around other black people and other races, you don't live in Seattle. You live south of Seattle (incidentally, if you ask around-- people will say not to live south of Seattle because that's where all the bad schools are, and crime[!!!] happen) and Tacoma (also another area with a bad rep).

Old 05-17-2012, 06:25 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,671,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Educate yourself kid,
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalopolis_(city_type)

It's ok you've never lived in a megalopolis to know what one is. It's a long chain of metros adjacent to each other. Nothing "megalopolis" standard about Sac or SD being near SF or LA. California has 2 megaregions (no its not the same thing) tho so I guess that's "impressive". The only 2 megalopolises in the world are the NEC and Taiheyo belt in Japan. If California had a cohesive megalopolis it would be called SanSan, San Francisco to San Diego but the area between NoCal and SoCal isn't filled in yet
From that very article:

Quote:
A megalopolis, also known as a megaregion, is a clustered network of cities with a population of about 10 million or more.
Let me guess, they're wrong and you're right.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
From that very article:

LOL ok kid, NoCal and SoCal are megalopolises. Ok!

Old 05-17-2012, 08:52 PM

11,054 posts, read 16,747,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
I don't need to have lived on the West Coast to come up with that opinion. You really think most White liberals want to live around minorities? Again, Manhattan is DEFINITELY liberal leaning, but look at how kids don't attend NYPS schools.

Exactly.

Anyways,
So, you're using racism in New York City to prove a point about racism in the West Coast?

Last edited by 415_s2k; 05-17-2012 at 10:10 PM..

Old 05-17-2012, 10:13 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,506,114 times
Quote:
From that very article:

Actually it also says "A megalopolis (sometimes called a megapolis or megaregion) is typically defined as a chain of roughly adjacent metropolitan areas."

People can call them one or the other but they aren't the same thing. The term megalopolis as we use it today came from Gottmann trying to define the future of Bos-Wash.

A megalopolis should always be a megaregion but a megaregion isn't always a megalopolis. The information for the megaregions sections on Wikipedia comes from America 2050, a site I think most of us on here know. Their megaregions are actually areas they outlined that have the potential to be megalopolises in the future, whenever that could be, but not currently. The only "officially" defined megalopolis in the US is Bos-Wash. None of the other megaregions are really close to the integration and filled in space that's in Bos-Wash, but many of them could end up like that in future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City