Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are these 7 more on the international stage than the other cities of North America?
Yes! 65 91.55%
Nahhh, I don't agree with this for whatever reason 6 8.45%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 04:41 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,867 times

Advertisements

Toronto currently has between 130-140 highrises under construction, and that number might be pushing 200 by the end of the year. Of the buildings currently under construction, 58 of them are over 100 meters (328 ft) in height, and 17 of them are over 500 feet. The tallest currently being built is 78 storeys and 893 ft. The tallest proposal as of right now is 83 storeys and 908 ft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 07:12 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I don't think so. Mexico City has a lot of highrise development but, at best, 5 actual skyscrapers currently U/C at the moment.

Highrises aren't that impressive, there are cities that currently have 100s of highrise buildings U/C.
There was a report I read not to long ago that mentioned that, but I have no idea now where it was. If I find the link, I'll post it. I did check another website and couldn't find any other cities with more under construction than Toronto, which was the #1 in the report as well.

Second, I live here. There are more than 5 under construction just from the intersection of Reforma and Insurgentes to Chapultepec park, which, if anyone has been there, knows that's not very far.

Highrises are an indicator of growth. Not every city has dozens of highrises being built at any given moment.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:58 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Based upon "earner influence not given to them"
NYC and Mexico City

Toronto, LA, SF

Chicago and DC

There are others I would put ahead of DC. Its wealth and influence comes from tax revenues from the other states and it was picked to be the capital not earned it.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:48 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Based upon "earner influence not given to them"
NYC and Mexico City

Toronto, LA, SF

Chicago and DC

There are others I would put ahead of DC. Its wealth and influence comes from tax revenues from the other states and it was picked to be the capital not earned it.
London, Paris, and Tokyo were also picked to be the capital of their countries. Funny thing is, they have benefited from being the capital of their countries far more than Washington DC has. In any other country, Washington DC would have 2 million people living in it with the center of finance as well as politics being located in it. It's amazing how people complain about everything in this country. It's not even fair to compare DC to a single capital city in the world because no other capital worldwide is held back and restricted the way Washington DC and its residents are.

Question of the day.....

How do you earn the capital city title in a country? This better be good.......

Also could you give a list of cities that earned the title of capital city around the world and list what that city did to earn the title. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-27-2012, 11:03 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Yea ok chief, keep telling yourself that

You want to see failure look at you in the face? Think of what the U.S. capital was before DC, total nightmare for the 'big state small state' crowd

Old 04-28-2012, 10:51 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
London, Paris, and Tokyo were also picked to be the capital of their countries. Funny thing is, they have benefited from being the capital of their countries far more than Washington DC has. In any other country, Washington DC would have 2 million people living in it with the center of finance as well as politics being located in it. It's amazing how people complain about everything in this country. It's not even fair to compare DC to a single capital city in the world because no other capital worldwide is held back and restricted the way Washington DC and its residents are.

Question of the day.....

How do you earn the capital city title in a country? This better be good.......

Also could you give a list of cities that earned the title of capital city around the world and list what that city did to earn the title. Thanks in advance!

Simple. They we're made capitals because they were big and influential cities, that existed regardless of capital status. DC otoh, is a big and influential city because it is the capital, not regardless of it. It was specifically built to be the capital, and wouldn't have existed otherwise, similar to Brasilia.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:57 PM

21 posts, read 66,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Simple. They we're made capitals because they were big and influential cities, that existed regardless of capital status. DC otoh, is a big and influential city because it is the capital, not regardless of it. It was specifically built to be the capital, and wouldn't have existed otherwise, similar to Brasilia.
Comparing Washington to Brasilia is ridiculous and laughable

Last edited by District of Columbia; 04-28-2012 at 03:10 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 03:04 PM

21 posts, read 66,418 times
It's about time Washingtonians get the respect they deserve. I'm here to dispell these ignorant remarks. Washington is important and you're going to have to deal with it. One more thing Toronto blows Boston and Bay Area out of the water

Old 04-29-2012, 07:07 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Lol...talk about ignorant. London and Paris were settled and grew just like Washington DC. How do you think a city is built? A group of people come along and settle the land. It's pretty simple. We have one of the youngest countries in the world. Every capital around the world was established as a settlement and grew over the years at some point in history. DC is no different. Wonder what you would say if most of the financial business for this country was done in the capital Washington DC like it's done in London, Paris, or Tokyo. But America being retarded decided not to do that. Could you imagine if America had a city with the political and financial capitals in the same city? DC would make NYC, Tokyo, London, and Paris look like townships. The city would be insane. Arlington would still be apart of DC and so would half of MD. The strip between DC and Baltimore would be so developed you wouldn't know where the cities borders began.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:12 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by District of Columbia View Post
Comparing Washington to Brasilia is ridiculous and laughable
How so? They both became capitals for fairly similar reasons--along with Canberra in Australia and Wellington in New Zealand. Ottawa is somewhat similar, but I think there was also the fear of invasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City