Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 12:46 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,475 times

Advertisements

Chicago- Dirty politics, dirty dirtbags, and Oprah runs the joint.
Miami- Pretentious superficial phonies.
Portland- Grungy girls with hairy armpits (and maybe feet).
San Francisco- Easier to find a date of the same sex than one of the opposite sex.
LA- Cop thugs, Thug thugs, thug wannabes, and all of them choking on brown smog in their 2-month behind on payment droptop Beemers.
San Diego- Flat broke but hangin out at the beach, bro!
Seattle- Starbucks sippin, raingear wearin, anti-depressant takin isolationists.
Boston- DA HARPAH (no, it's The Hopper, moron)
NYC- I live in the best city ever, I just can't afford to do much here, so fuggeddaboutit!
New Orleans- Boudin, Booze, and Beignets, and that's just for Breakfast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koberaptor View Post
What would you guys say to cities like Kansas City or Omaha?
My sympathies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 06:35 PM

605 posts, read 1,164,951 times
All cities suffer from stereotypes. Los Angeles, if I had to choose one, would be it. Coming from Boston, I got almost nothing but **** about moving out to L.A. There are some really lame stereotypes from L.A. about Boston that are more appropriate for the 17th Century, but otherwise, people really beat down on the City of Angels.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:02 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Three guesses and the first two don't count. It's called jealousy. Some ignorance, too.
Or maybe some people actually don't like the cities they stereotype?

Hmm...

Old 05-29-2012, 07:25 PM

4 posts, read 13,304 times
Here in Philadelphia we think
NY - our 2nd borough
LA - Famous and rich
Boston - educated
SF - Gay
Dc - Government
Miami - paradise
Pittsburgh - factories, gloomy, and steel.
Philly - cool

The reason why I think Philadelphia stereotype is cool is because of our long history of famous people who always happen to be cool. Ex: Will Smith, Bill Cosby, Kobe Bryant, Bradley Cooper, Wilt Chamberlain, Kevin Hart, Jill Scott, The Roots and a lot more. When I travel to other cities and people find out Im from Philly, I always get phone numbers, local friebds, and good respect because they know what Philly has to offer to our world.

Even the name of our city sounds cool so if you dont say "I'm from Philly" saying "Im from Philadelphia" sounds cool and badass.

Last edited by RG111fan; 05-29-2012 at 07:36 PM..

Old 05-29-2012, 07:27 PM

7 posts, read 9,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
All cities suffer from stereotypes. Los Angeles, if I had to choose one, would be it. Coming from Boston, I got almost nothing but **** about moving out to L.A. There are some really lame stereotypes from L.A. about Boston that are more appropriate for the 17th Century, but otherwise, people really beat down on the City of Angels.
LA is so stereotyped that even people in foreign countries think it's just either:

-Beverly Hills 90210 rich kids and Hollywood celebs
-Boyz in the hood being a menace II society
-Maybe smog and Mexicans as well

Oh yeah, and the rest of Southern California is just palm trees and surfers as far as the stereotype...I asked a Russian guy in Philly where he wanted to go to in the USA, and he said California and described it as basically a bunch of movie stars and Baywatch, at least that's what he was expecting...

Old 05-29-2012, 07:43 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
DC- Politics
That's kind of funny, because for most people who live in DC life has nothing to do with politics.

It's almost all about career, family, children, pets, school, hobbies, meeting diverse people, shopping, going to concerts, watching sports, going on weekend trips to beaches, mountains, other cities and nearby places... just about anything EXCEPT for politics.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 05-29-2012 at 07:56 PM..

Old 05-29-2012, 07:46 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
new orleans....

i expect to see this guy when my plane lands

Old 06-12-2012, 11:26 AM

14 posts, read 24,983 times
Tallahassee

Old 06-12-2012, 11:50 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
SF has plenty of dumb stereotypes, some of which are contradictory.

1. so gay that the gay rubs off and its impossible to not be gay
2. so expensive that there are no poor people
3. there are too many poor people
4. all white
5. all asian
6. all white AND asian
7. all illegal latino immigrants
8. lots of scary ghetto black people OMG drive me back to Marin Jeeves
9. no black people at all!
10. foggy all the time, EVERYWHERE
11. it rains all the time
12. no, it's sunny, warm California, it never rains!
13. it's climate is the same as Seattle
14. it's climate is the same as LA
15. it's all yuppies and/or hipsters
16. everyone is a communist or anarchist and hates america
17. ultra super safe just make sure no one assaults you with a hug!
18. ultra super dangerous, with bands of roving thugs and homeless people who will murder you ten times in a row while the cops ignore it
19. everyone eats chinese food all the time, especially dim sum (ever seen that show Alcatraz? Why are they always eating dim sum? Is that all the writers think there is to eat in SF? Where's the love for mexican, vietnamese, italian, etc?? I know I eat a lot more Mexican food in SF than I do Chinese)
20. hippies

It's pretty funny...it's like there are 5,000 different San Franciscos all at once.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:38 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,918,957 times
In terms of stereotyped residents, Los Angeles and New York. In terms of the city itself and its image, Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City