Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:52 AM

46 posts, read 184,560 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I wanted to know if anyone has perspective on what areas/cities have an active, fairly large young Catholic community. I'm in my mid-20s and want to encounter all kinds of people, but would like to have a fairly vibrant Catholic community to be involved in as well.

Currently job-searching, and this is just one of the attributes I'd like to have in a locale. It would be nice

Muchos thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 09:56 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
While Atlanta is not overwhelmingly Catholic, its north end has a lot of Catholic parish groups for people right around your age, particularly on the north end, which is more "transplanted" and more Catholic. They seem to be bursting at the seams with newcomers to town, and most of the people in them are not native to the area. Hope that helps.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:57 AM

229 posts, read 468,703 times
Basically all major cities in the Midwest and northeast.

Chicago has a vast catholic community, it's the most prominent religion in the city.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:59 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
I would focus on the midwest or northeast.

The catholic communities in places like Texas, California, South Florida, and the Southwest are so because of the huge Hispanic communities.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8loody View Post
Basically all major cities in the Midwest and northeast.

Chicago has a vast catholic community, it's the most prominent religion in the city.
Ditto for Los Angeles. Probably at least 30%. However, when areas are THAT Catholic, they seem to "take it for granted."

Since the OP is younger, moving for work, and looking to get involved, I would pick a burgeoning area where these groups are organized. I assume the same would be true of Dallas or Houston. But, yes, I am sure the Phillys and Bostons have organized groups, at the very least Newman Centers. One city that has active groups is Pittsburgh, though not as big as the others.

The other issue the OP did not indicate is cold weather/warm weather?

Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 AM

Oy vey. Weather, climate....among many factors.

I do like having 4 seasons. I know very little about LA, Houston or Dallas, but having a large Catholic community and a vibrant city life would be amazing! The fact that I've not considered such cities should be remedied.

I am more familiar with Philly and the east coast. ***I'm leaning towards Philly, though trying to convince myself that I can deal with the "northeastern stress" vibe. :-O I'd love to look into the southeastern locations but they mostly seem smaller AND have less percentage of Catholics. So Philly is on the top of my list at the moment.

But again, as stated before, I will go ultimately where I get a job and make the best of it! But why not gather ideas to help the process.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b007 View Post
Oy vey.

I'd love to look into the southeastern locations but they mostly seem smaller AND have less percentage of Catholics. So Philly is on the top of my list at the moment.
Atlanta metro is now America's 9th largest, having pushed out Boston for that title. The density of Catholics in ATL's transplanted areas is huge. All of my friends were tri-staters (NJ, NY, CT) types, and I was from CA. On the negative side, ATL is now just as bustling and competitive as a Baltimore or a Philly. By all means, check out other areas and investigate the ones you are familiar with. Just curious, does Philly have a lot of groups for Catholics in that age bracket, apart from those at universities?

Old 04-24-2012, 10:36 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,741,556 times
I think St. Louis, because you have the cultural Catholicism that is very present, but then you also have the devout, church-going Catholics, including many young people. I think they're more out in the suburbs though, in the big Catholic "mega-churches"

Old 04-24-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Just curious, does Philly have a lot of groups for Catholics in that age bracket, apart from those at universities?

Hmmmm now that is a question I don't have an answer to at this point. Anyone know?

Old 04-24-2012, 12:38 PM

Oh St. Louis! I have been offhandedly thinking of there actually. Is it a pretty happenin' city? (Guess I need to head over to the Saint Louis forums....brb )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City