Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 12:25 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
How would you define an international city? I'm with you on London and Dubai, but not quite there with Tokyo.
dubai & tokyo will never be london
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 08:58 AM

242 posts, read 510,682 times
1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. LA
4. Toronto
5. Miami
6. Washington
7. Philly
8. Seattle
9. Atlanta
10. Houston

Old 07-04-2012, 10:04 AM

Location: Midwesterner living in California (previously East Coast)
296 posts, read 437,817 times
1.) NYC
2.) LA
3.) DC
4.) Miami
5.) San Francisco
6.) Houston
7.) Chicago
8.) Seattle
9.) Honolulu
10.) Boston

NYC is in a tier of it's own. LA is a distant second. DC is obviously up there because of it's diplomatic importance. Miami is next because of its role in Latin America, and the fact that it also has a decently sized Jamaican and Haitian community.

San Francisco's internationalism is similar to that of Miami's being that one geographic location dominates (East Asians). Nontheless, that is not something that can be written off or ignored. Therefore, SF rounds out my Top 5.

Houston has huge numbers of Hispanics, Nigerians, and South Asians.
Chicago would come in closely after that with it's Eastern European immigrant population and other smaller groups.

Seattle, Honolulu, and Boston complete the Top 10.

Philly doesn't belong on this list. Nor does Phoenix or Denver.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:23 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
NYC
LA
Chicago
DC
Miami
San Francisco

Those are the only ones which could never be left out of any top 10 list.

Houston and Boston should be up there as well.

Then pick any of the following two to complete it. At this point it's totally subject and doesnt really matter:

Atlanta
Dallas
Philadelphia
Seattle

Old 07-04-2012, 12:00 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
NYC
LA
Chicago
DC
Miami
San Francisco

Those are the only ones which could never be left out of any top 10 list.

Houston and Boston should be up there as well.

Then pick any of the following two to complete it. At this point it's totally subject and doesnt really matter:

Atlanta
Dallas
Philadelphia
Seattle
I don't know if I could put Miami there. They have a huge Latino population no doubt represented by various Latin nations. They also have a large European population. But they have a very small Asian population no matter the nation. It's opposite of what you get with Chicago and San Francisco. I would put Miami in the mold of Houston and Boston. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe their large heavily diverse Latin America population and European population should be enough to put them in the top 6.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:20 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't know if I could put Miami there. They have a huge Latino population no doubt represented by various Latin nations. They also have a large European population. But they have a very small Asian population no matter the nation. It's opposite of what you get with Chicago and San Francisco. I would put Miami in the mold of Houston and Boston. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe their large heavily diverse Latin America population and European population should be enough to put them in the top 6.
I think we have to put Miami in the top six. Miami is our face to Latin America and the Caribbean. Miami gets more than twice the immigration from Latin America that Los Angeles does. In airline O&D data, the Miami/Fort Lauderdale are gets more visitors from Latin America than any other area by a wide margin (that excludes connecting traffic). For all intents and purposes, Miami is the US's Latin American city.

Even though Miami has a very small Asian and African community, it's Latin American dominance gives it a spot in the top 10 for sure.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:54 PM

571 posts, read 1,281,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Fair points, but when discussing how 'international' a city is, I think an outsider's point of view does have some relevance. To us, Seattle is better known and more familiar. Houston is known maybe by the space center and for those knowledgeable enough for oil. Other than that, it's not even on the psychological radar for most non-Americans. It probably DOES say something about how international it is or isn't.
"Seattle, we have a problem" - no one, ever.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:56 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
"Seattle, we have a problem" - no one, ever.
LOL don't pay attention to that guy, he lives in Aussie yet obsesses about the U.S. cities so much he has been becoming delusional

Old 07-04-2012, 10:58 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
LOL don't pay attention to that guy, he lives in Aussie yet obsesses about the U.S. cities so much he has been becoming delusional
You're quickly catching on +1

Old 07-05-2012, 01:18 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,660,794 times
1)New York
2)Washington DC
3)Miami
4)San Francisco/Bay
5)Chicago
6)Los Angeles
7)Houston
8)Dallas
9)Boston
10)Philadelphia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City