Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 04:20 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,041,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Agreed

Stanford is in Santa Clara Right???

Silicon Valley is where again??

C'mon Htown, you gonna play around with that foolishness??

Lets cut Sugarland, Baytown & Galveston off metro Houston....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 04:26 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post

And I get my head cut off when talking about the census moving trenton etc.

End of the day these metrics have flaws. The Bay is pretty cohesive; though has some polar job pulls and the criteria align as different metros.

There is no perfect metric

I personally feel that after LA and Chicago the DC and Bay region are next but on the whole see them closer to the places like Boston and Houston and DFW and Philly than to LA or Chicago; which is what the question is.

I dont see SF closer to Chicago save some select metrics than the others; you will likely disagree

Maybe Toronto is closer, not sure but not Chicago or LA - they have a more singular identity and are considerably larger and sohesive then are the Bay or DC/Balt

Old 05-01-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And I get my head cut off when talking about the census moving trenton etc.

End of the day these metrics have flaws. The Bay is pretty cohesive; though has some polar job pulls and the criteria align as different metros.

There is no perfect metric

I personally feel that after LA and Chicago the DC and Bay region are next but on the whole see them closer to the places like Boston and Houston and DFW and Philly than to LA or Chicago; which is what the question is.

I dont see SF closer to Chicago save some select metrics than the others; you will likely disagree

Maybe Toronto is closer, not sure but not Chicago or LA - they have a more singular identity and are considerably larger and sohesive then are the Bay or DC/Balt
Well at least you are in the ballpark. Foodie, doesnt even try. Personally I dont know about Trenton, seems like it could go either way. I disagree a bit with what you said, but not much. I do see the Bay as totally cohesive, although I agree there are two major employment centers.....although all of these metros have multiple employment centers.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:43 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
Quote:
Well at least you are in the ballpark. Foodie, doesnt even try. Personally I dont know about Trenton, seems like it could go either way. I disagree a bit with what you said, but not much. I do see the Bay as totally cohesive, although I agree there are two major employment centers.....although all of these metros have multiple employment centers.
Having lived in SF, NYC, DC, and Philly I honestly dont see the Bay quite as uniform as other cities though def a connected region. In most ways though the connection of NJ to Philly or NY (not NY and Philly though but the space in the middle is a top 6 or so metro in and of itself) are not all that different; different shades of grey and why I dont see census metrics as perfect.

I grew up like 2 miles (well half my youth) from Trenton and trust me there is no doubt where this area resides in reality. but done to death

So I do think the Bay is with DC/Balt but on the whole closer to the next set thn LA or Chi-town

Not a bad thing and honestly I personally really like SF and the Bay and would choose it over DC, which also has some great qualities. I would personally choose SF over LA. Not sure on Chi town; is close to me

But SF/Chi are 3/4 to me personally as my preferred places to live

Old 05-01-2012, 04:46 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,760,188 times
Quote:
what I can't join in on the fun??

Quote:
Please do. Well.... Leave us Galveston.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:48 PM

637 posts, read 1,006,917 times
Quote:

What foolishness? Is it not true that the 'Bay Area' is 6 different metros conglomerated together? Hell, even back in 1990, Oakland had its own metro area, but rightfully so, its become relegated as a suburb of San Francisco because it is.

I'm sick of people not acknowledging reality. No matter what ANYONE says here, SF Bay is 6 different metros according to the Federal Government.

Again, let's connect these 6 touching metros together and see what happens:

Washington MSA
Baltimore MSA
Philadelphia MSA
New York MSA
Hartford MSA
Boston MSA

It's the same thing: completely arbitrary. I can throw in any 6 metros together to make it seem powerful, but it doesn't translate to real life power.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:51 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,240,842 times
SF Bay has surpassed Chicagoland GMP and Toronto doesnt deserve to be mentioned with Chicagoland and SF Bay IMO

New York
LA
DC
SF Bay
Chicago
BOSTON
TORONTO
Houston
Dallas
Philly
Miami/Atlanta

Old 05-01-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
what I can't join in on the fun??

Please do. Well.... Leave us Galveston.

All in good fun.......

Old 05-01-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post

It's the same thing: completely arbitrary. I can throw in any 6 metros together to make it seem powerful, but it doesn't translate to real life power.

Do you know what a CSA is???
Every one of those city's CSAs have multiple MSA's....so quit yer cryin"

Old 05-01-2012, 04:58 PM

637 posts, read 1,006,917 times
Quote:
Do you know what a CSA is???
Every one of those city's CSAs have multiple MSA's....so quit yer cryin"
Yeah, but almost no one in real life ever uses CSA statistics: almost everyone uses METROPOLITAN area statistics, of which the "Bay Area" is not one of them.

It's either San Francisco MSA, San Jose MSA, Napa MSA, Santa Cruz MSA, Santa Rosa MSA, or Vallejo-Fairfield MSA.

What's next, adding Sacramento, Stockton, and Modesto because some of those areas happen to vaguely connect with SF Bay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City