Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gang Capital of the United States?
Chicago 157 50.97%
Los Angeles 151 49.03%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 06:00 PM

484 posts, read 871,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyOffended View Post
I will respond pertaining to the thread not bragging about what city goes harder. But Chicago had gangs and the mafia before LA. Has the most gang member per capita. More gang related killings then LA and has a Chicago gang in LA and NY. I would think Chicago is the gang capitol of America. LA just gets more media attention and people believed what father TV told them. Look how the media is all downs Chicago neck saying we have more murders then Afganistan. Funny thing is Chicago is clocking 450-500 murders a year now. Back in the 1980s and 1990s 960 murders plus with less of a population then LA and NY. That's how the media works...don't believe everything you see.

The City of Los Angeles leads the nation in the number of gang related homicides for two reasons. 1) The popultion of Los Angeles (#2 in the nation) was 3.8 million according to the 2000 US Census and according to recent estimates Los Angeles has over 4 million people. 2) Los Angeles has a very general definition a "gang related murder." When ever there is a victim or assailant involved in a murder it will be defined as gang-related. For example if a woman killed her gang member nephew in a domestic situation, there is a good chance that because the victim was a gang member, that murder will be defined as gang-related. This generic definition of "gang related murder" inflates this true statistics in comparison to other cities, such as Chicago

This is a LA gang based website and the owner even has a article stating that Chicago is the real gang capitol and not LA.

But in the end who gives a ****.....lets keep our kids safe
Quote:
Chicago is the gang capitol. LA has a Chicago gang in LA the Black P Stones brought over from T Rodgers....Chicago has their gangs all over America and europe. Chicago has about 70-80 gangs with the bigger gangs have set all over the city and suburbs.......Chicago has more gang members then LA and more gang related homicides and always has. Chicago had a higher murder rate then LA and NY. LA has never been the murder capitol EVER. Chicago had gangs since the 1800s alot of good books on it.....the dude who wrote gangs of New York wrote won on Chicago in the 1920s. Chicago had over 1,000 street gangs already in the 1920s.....LA was hyped up in the media thats the only difference. LA is not even worse then st louis or detriot or camden.....lots of media sensationalism.

From a LA based gang website

Los Angeles was given the title, gang capital of the US back in 1988 by Tom Brokaw on a gang documentary. I am not sure if another person preceded Mr. Brokaw with this title, but since then it as stuck, but is that title appropriate for Los Angeles?
Los Angeles, California represents the “biggest” in nearly everything, being the largest city in the most populated State, LA is the capital for everything, including pollution, cars, traffic, guns, illegal immigration, population, etc. So saying that Los Angeles is the gang capital of the US is only true because of the actual numbers, but on a per capita examination, the City of Chicago has more murders and has consistently had more murders related to gangs since 1992, more so than Los Angeles and New York.
The lie I heard was by 790 KABC host Kevin James that Los Angeles is the “gang capital of the world” which is completely untrue. There are so many countries that are plagued with more violent gang activity throughout the world such as Jamaica, South Africa, El Salvador, and Brazil to name a few. Of course he cites absolutely no person or offers no statistics on that claim, but many of his listeners most likely believe this false statement. Although I have used the phrase, “gang capital of the country,” I say this with 100% certainty that Los Angeles is not the “gang capital of the world” and anyone who says so is either ignorant or spewing propaganda.
Quote:
You can't be a gang capitol if you have another citys biggest gang in the gang capitol just my opinion
Sure sounds like you are bragging about Chicago "going harder" because you keep insisting and insisting...

Ok, we get it, you think LA is hyped up due to media attention. You think Chicago is the gang capital. Chicago is more than welcomed to take that title.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:27 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,669,921 times
L.A has had gangs before the bloods & crips dating all the way back to the early 20” s L.A & socal as a whole is gang infested from the prison gangs to the biggest jail in america L.A gangs are more known on a worldwide scale rappers like lil wayne & jeezy potray images of cali gang life to sell records far as numbers go chicago is like 68,000 and L.A is like 100,500 according to the fbi 2012 assessment study but cali is way bigger so it's not a fair comparison compton is historically known as the most dangerous gang homocide city in america chicago gangs go to war over organized crime and money South central L.A gangs go to war over drug wars and turf

Old 07-12-2012, 08:41 PM

122 posts, read 253,106 times
I am replying to the subject of the thread and providing evidence I don't really care. Chicago and New York had gangs before the 1920s. Ever see the movie gangs of New York? There is a book by the same author who wrote about gangs of Chicago from the 1830s to the 1940s when the book was released. You guys do know that Hollywood started in Chicago? The first featured film was filmed in Chicago...Chicago has alot of good history behind it

Old 07-12-2012, 09:19 PM

711 posts, read 1,497,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
I definitely agree with your positive message above

However, its still a topic we need to address because the fact of the matter is that gangs exist. The only way we can fix the problem is by acknowledging it exists and seeing the social implications it has on both areas. If we ignore it and start being in denial about it, then things will definitely go wrong.

I'm not trying to glamorize gangs or say that they're cool or anything, but they are definitely a phenomenon worth talking about.
The fact that people are so primitive and barbaric they will kill each other over the color of a bandana needs to be addressed.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Black Gangs: Chicago
Hispanic Gangs: Los Angeles
This

Old 07-12-2012, 10:56 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VX-Nefarious View Post
I did some research on murder rate alone for 2011, and yes South Central has the highest murder rate in all of Southern California, I added up twelve LA neighborhoods, with a total population of 394,088, and the murder rate for that area was 31.5 per 100k, higher than Oakland CA, which has a similar population, that shows South Central continues to be the #1 area in murder rates, even as LA's murder rate continues to decline, San Bernardino's rate was half that in 2010, but I will add up the cities surrounding SB to see what the rate looks like one of these days. , But yes LA county does have other dangerous area, East LA, Pomona, Long Beach, West LA, and other areas and cities.
What is the total number of murders for that combined 394,088 populated area of South Central? A higher murder rate than Oakland with a similar population? That area must be pretty rough still.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
You can't be a gang capitol if you have another citys biggest gang in the gang capitol just my opinion
From what I've seen, read, heard, BPS is only one set out of what, 100+ Blood sets in LA County. They don't run the show in LA, but they have their own notoriety.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
A lot of gangs started in Chicago like the Latin Vice Kings or the Young Lords, it's history is extensive. That said, these gangs tend to expand to a higher tier in NYC and LA then tends to increase in size and influence.
NYC? What NYC gangs are at a higher tier than gangs in Chicago? I haven't really heard of any original NYC gangs that have a high tier or have nearly as much notoriety as gangs in Chicago and LA. The most notorious NYC gang I've heard of are Trinitario's and DDP, and they don't have much influence(if any at all) outside of the Northeast.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:04 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,669,921 times
Bps is a L.A blood gang dummy it's no folk nation in L.A bps in L.A just has the same name because t rodgers joined the blood alliance and ny gangs are not original chi town are not gangs but mobs L.A is gang bang city gangs bang on you ask you were you frm check yo tattoos etc etc L.A is gang capital stop crying about it bro and stop killing kids out there

Old 07-13-2012, 07:30 AM

The fact that people could still be so Tribal is mind blowing...

If these gangs did not have guns they would just kill each other with spears.

America could be so civilised, yet the fact we still have these primitive concrete jungles they call ghetto's is wild.

It must be the media exploitation of violence, the weapons industry is such a money making machine.

Something needs to be changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City