Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gang Capital of the United States?
Chicago 157 50.97%
Los Angeles 151 49.03%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 08:37 PM

6 posts, read 12,876 times

Advertisements

I was actually pleasantly surprised coming into Chicago. I had heard bad things. About the gang problem out there, but it seems the gangs are compounded into a few areas of the city. Its a lot different in LA. Take my living situation for example. I stay in a relatively decent neighborhood called tarzana. But you go a couple blocks northeast. Of where I'm at and you find yourself on the drug/gang infested streets of van nuys. And that's how it is all throughout the city. One block can make all the difference. Gangs are literally everywhere.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:44 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,328 times
Street gangs I would say LA. Organized crime is definitely Chicago.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:40 AM

170 posts, read 391,283 times
this gang related shooting just happened a few hours ago here in chicago..

Quote:
Eight people were shot -- one fatally -- in a drive-by shooting in which two men fired on a group of people at a home in the Lawndale neighborhood this evening, authorities said.
Quote:
At least 64 people have been shot across the city since Wednesday this holiday weekend, 11 fatally.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:30 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo87 View Post
Definitely LA. I've actually spent time in both cities and Los Angeles has a gang presence in damn near every neighborhood in the city, even decent areas where you wouldn't expect them (the westside, Hollywood, mid city, San Fernando valley). Also, I think LA gang culture is much more influential and recognized to the outside world. Case in point" you have crip and blood and sureno copycat gangs all over the country, Chicago included. If you came to Los Angeles talking about 'folk nation's or people nation no one would have a clue what you're talking about. Chicago's gang culture just seemed kinda watered down compared to what I've seen in LA.
I think Chicago and L.A are well known through out the entire united states. Chicago game culture being watered down is a joke. L.A game culture has been watered down to mainly hispanics only. L.A is only more recognized because of Hollywood. Go to Memphis, Little Rock, or Birmingham AL and you will see GDs and Vice Lords everywhere.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:10 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
About a few months ago GD's were coming at the rapper rick ross, making videos on youtube and what not. And the funny part about that was, None of the GD's who were threatening him were from Chicago or even the Midwest. They were all from the South and they even had some from Cali.

GD's outnumber bloods and crips in alot of places in the South Too. Only reason why bloods are so big is b/c of hollywood and Lil wayne and Waka Flocka and other rappers.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:30 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
Chicago has MORE nationally spread street gangs than L.A.

GDs, BDs, Vice Lords, 4CH, etc are in the mid south and GDs are all over the South, period. There are a lot of GDs here in Central and South GA. More than Crips and Bloods in some places.

"Gang Culture" (at least here) as a whole has died down since earlier in the 2000s when I was teen. As the post above states, these kids I see now are "bloods" because they see popular rappers claiming it.

"Real" or "Fake" they all need to cut the nonsense out. I guess you can say it's better now because the "faking" I see these skinny jeans wearing kids doing now would have got them handled quickly a decade ago and beyond.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:19 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,774 times
A lot of the gangs here in Chicago are disorganized, it's more about drug turf and a block vs block mentality...

Old 07-07-2013, 06:28 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
California as a state seems to have a strong gang culture that spreads to most cities and towns up and down the coast and valley. It's everywhere. The Mexican gangs are huge out there and have petty much flushed out most of the black gangs in Compton and LA. There is also a substantial Asian gang presence in Long Beach, San Diego, the Bay area etc. it's very difficult to get away from it out there, especially in and around schools. You need to have money out there to insulate yourself from it and afford to live in the better communities.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:02 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
California as a state seems to have a strong gang culture that spreads to most cities and towns up and down the coast and valley. It's everywhere. The Mexican gangs are huge out there and have petty much flushed out most of the black gangs in Compton and LA. There is also a substantial Asian gang presence in Long Beach, San Diego, the Bay area etc. it's very difficult to get away from it out there, especially in and around schools. You need to have money out there to insulate yourself from it and afford to live in the better communities.
WRONG... There are STILL black gangs in Compton/Watts/ LBC/Carson?etc;. What's taking place is blacks are moving out of a lot of traditionally "Black" neighborhoods the same way "Whites" moved away 50 years ago.
I have family in those places and in Compton/Watts most blacks & mexicans get along better than in most other parts of the city. It's not as calm as it was during the "Riots/Truce" years though.

What I know for sure is in many places including my hometown of Philly many of the 80's-90's kids are now in the mid 30's to mid 40's and want to live in different and better areas, especially for their children.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:41 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,320 times
LA's crime is the lowest since the 50's. It just has to deal with its smog and homelessness obstacles. Chicago seems worse than it was when I grew up near there in the 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City