Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gang Capital of the United States?
Chicago 157 50.97%
Los Angeles 151 49.03%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 09:00 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,048,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
I voted for Chicago. I live in Los Angeles. The national discourse over the past few years has been all about Chicago and their violence and gang issues. Los Angeles, like NYC, is having record low crime rates. I just feel like the gangs have grown weaker, and the "big business" has moved south of the border, or requires less street fighting, perhaps because certain gangs have reached a monopoly or a good enough strangle on the market.
Well Chicago is in the same boat with the lowest murder and violent crime numbers in 2013 since they started keeping records, I think Philly too this year. It's just we didn't go down as much as NYC and LA.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:57 PM

227 posts, read 434,906 times
In gang activity LA wins by far.

Taking about general crime (non-gang crimes) I think Chicago wins.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,094 times
Chi-town by far, and the gangs deeper that only 36, you don't know about the squads split off from the OG gangs, 36 ends up to be at least more than 70-90 not including cliques and block squads so it's more than 100 after that so it's way more than 36 by far...

Old 02-09-2014, 03:10 PM

314 posts, read 420,328 times
In the 80's-90's I would say LA, now I'd have to give that title to Chicago but both cities have always had a terrible gang problem.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:42 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,048,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMatthews View Post
In gang activity LA wins by far.

Taking about general crime (non-gang crimes) I think Chicago wins.
really? around 80% of the murders and shootings in the city are gang related. Strip out the gangs attacking other gangs and the city is quite non-violent. I'm guessing the same for LA, but here at least a large majority of the crime in the city is gang on gang, normally teens or people in their early 20's at nighttime in select areas.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:49 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,746,750 times
I am pretty sure that Chicago has the most gang members out of any city, or percentage wise, in the US. That's what I heard at least.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:43 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,653,330 times
LA county still has the most gang members in the entire country /really not a fair comparison tho as Chicago isn't as big or populated as Los Angeles /ill give Chicago organized crime though but if we're talking modern day street gang banging LA and its not even close/gangs around the world emulate bloods and crips

Old 02-19-2014, 01:17 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,062,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
LA county still has the most gang members in the entire country /really not a fair comparison tho as Chicago isn't as big or populated as Los Angeles /ill give Chicago organized crime though but if we're talking modern day street gang banging LA and its not even close/gangs around the world emulate bloods and crips
If L.A. ranks ahead of Chicago in gang violence, it would be mostly because of the hispanic gang activity, not bloods and crips. While most arent nearly as popular around the nation and globe, Chicago has many more black gangs than L.A., like GD, BD, Vice Lords, BPS, 4CH, New Breeds, etc.

Gangster Disciples / GD / F.O.L.K.S. Nation has as many or more members than bloods and crips in certain areas here in the South.

Though smaller than L.A., Chicago has been averaging more murders. I think on the "street" level, Chicago is worse right now. The banging is so out of control in Chicago now, you have 2 gangs under the same FOLKS Nation "alliance" killing and banging against each other, BD and GD.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
The mob went away years ago in the Chicago area. There's still some left but anybody who thinks the area is still full of mobsters running around is about 20 or 30+ years behind the times. There's probably just as many small Russian or whatever mob groups in Chicago as there are in LA right now.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Though smaller than L.A., Chicago has been averaging more murders. I think on the "street" level, Chicago is worse right now. The banging is so out of control in Chicago now, you have 2 gangs under the same FOLKS Nation "alliance" killing and banging against each other, BD and GD.
When you talk about large cities you should qualify it. The street crime in Chicago is not out of control. The street crime in a few specific areas is - not the whole city. The same as other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City