Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston or Seattle
Boston 35 47.30%
Seattle 39 52.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 03:49 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrikeArghast View Post
Fear is the path to the darkside. Snow is delightful. Man up.
Lulz.... you are in for a rude awakening when it snows in Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 05:07 PM

12 posts, read 31,287 times
As crazy as it may sound, I think I'd like Boston winters a lot more than the ones in Denver. I don't particularly like how the snow melts after only a couple of days here. I'd rather have the the harsher winters in Boston so when it comes time for spring, I'll appreciate the sun a lot more. Unlike how (I'm assuming) it is there, the sun will come up quite frequently during the winter--we probably get a lot more warm days than cold ones--so once spring comes around I don't really take advantage of the sun as much as I should.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:15 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
As crazy as it may sound, I think I'd like Boston winters a lot more than the ones in Denver. I don't particularly like how the snow melts after only a couple of days here. I'd rather have the the harsher winters in Boston so when it comes time for spring, I'll appreciate the sun a lot more. Unlike how (I'm assuming) it is there, the sun will come up quite frequently during the winter--we probably get a lot more warm days than cold ones--so once spring comes around I don't really take advantage of the sun as much as I should.
Personally, I've never liked the combination of snow AND bright sunshine. It's usually colder and the reflection is annoying. I'd rather the snow melt more slowly, under partly sunny skies.

So, OP, which way are you leaning, overall, and why?

Old 05-07-2012, 05:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Boston's sunshine is about halfway in between Denver and Seattle amounts, though a bit closer to Denver.

Sun is out 71% of the time in January in Denver.
Sun is out 53% of the time in January in Denver.
Sun is out 28% of the time in January in Seattle (but 40% in Feb).

Sunshine- Average Percent (%) Possible

The difference is Boston gets fewer warm days than Denver, but snowless periods are also common and more of the total winter precipitation of Boston comes as rain than snow in the winter. It's just there are enough long consistent cold stretches where you'll get snow on the ground while Denver might be more variable on a day to day basis besides just being warmer on average.

Boston is only slightly sunnier in the spring than winter, there aren't huge seasonal sunshine differences, unlike Seattle.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
So, OP, which way are you leaning, overall, and why?
I'm still leaning towards Boston. There's just something about it that feels more "central", and it is. I never knew that you could get to the mountains and/or beach so quickly, and I would've figured the trips to NYC among other cities nearby would be a lot longer than they really are. Whereas in Seattle, your choices for large cities within a driving distance are pretty much Portland or Vancouver. I have a feeling I'd feel more "open" and free in Boston.

The main reason why I'm still considering Seattle is because I just love the vibe it gives off: laid-back and carefree. Not to mention its natural beauty.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:07 PM

159 posts, read 428,277 times
Quote:
The main reason why I'm still considering Seattle is because I just love the vibe it gives off: laid-back and carefree. Not to mention its natural beauty.
Yup. It's why the choice exists at all. If I could take Boston as a city and then raise some high mountains to the west (what would I be sacrificing? Worchester? Big loss ), it'd be the most perfect place in the world.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrikeArghast View Post
If I could take Boston as a city and then raise some high mountains to the west (what would I be sacrificing? Worchester? Big loss ), it'd be the most perfect place in the world.
Ah, if only...

Old 05-07-2012, 08:11 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,648,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
They are not well defined. .
Patently false. All the seasons are mild, but I promise you they are quite unique.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:05 PM

422 posts, read 815,395 times
Boston very seldomly loses a thread unless it's vs Chicago or NY. Seattle shows itself strong and fights above its weight on most occasions. This should be fun.

Last edited by 75 South; 05-07-2012 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 05-08-2012, 01:34 AM

159 posts, read 428,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
Boston very seldomly loses a thread unless it's vs Chicago or NY. Seattle shows itself strong and fights above its weight on most occasions. This should be fun.
It's be funny to see a Boston or Seattle vs... Phoenix... or Dallas... or Atlanta thread. You know, some place that absolutely can't compare? Would be enjoyable to see either push some place around for a change, rather than being pitted in a battle royale against one another. No need to waste your strength fighting amongst yourselves, Seattle and Boston -- go pick on the short bus children for a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City