Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 09:35 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Listen to chiatldal. He knows what he's talking about. You don't.
No. I am right.

Don't get mad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 09:44 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
No. I am right.

Don't get mad.
I'm as happy as can be. I know Texas is the south, but I also recognize that there is a subculture of less observant people who don't see it that way. It doesn't change reality, though.

The majority of every definition of the "American South" you will find includes Texas. I respect your opinion, but you'll just have to live with the fact that you're in the minority; a group who, quite frankly, has no idea what they're talking about. But we're beating a dead horse here.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I'm as happy as can be. I know Texas is the south, but I also recognize that there is a subculture of less observant people who don't see it that way. It doesn't change reality, though.

The majority of every definition of the "American South" you will find includes Texas. I respect your opinion, but you'll just have to live with the fact that you're in the minority; a group who, quite frankly, has no idea what they're talking about. But we're beating a dead horse here.

If you read our posts carefully, you will see that, in essence, chiatdal and I are both right.

I never said that Texas doesn't have many, many Southern elements, etc. It in fact does.

However, Texas is an amalgamation.

This situation is an example of "both-and" rather than "either or."

Texas is very Southern in a lot aspects--but it is not a part of the American South.

Texas is Texas...and that is a good thing. Beautiful blended culture, beautiful state, and wonderful pride. Like they say--it is like its own country. I personally love this about Texas. There is even a dialect out there known as "Texas German." Awesome.

Capital of Texas: Austin
Capital of the American South: Atlanta

Old 05-06-2012, 09:55 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Brother/Sister Chiatldal:
That is silly.

Texas is Texas, but

Arkansas is Arkansas, and
Georgia is Georgia and
Maryland is Maryland

I dare you to find me one State that is not that that State.

If Houston is not Southern hen Chicago is not Midwestern. Cause guess what Illinois is Illinois too. It is not North Dakota Dontcha Know.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
That is silly.

Texas is Texas, but

Arkansas is Arkansas, and
Georgia is Georgia and
Maryland is Maryland

I dare you to find me one State that is not that that State.

If Houston is not Southern hen Chicago is not Midwestern. Cause guess what Illinois is Illinois too. It is not North Dakota Dontcha Know.

Texas (state) is Texas (region/cultural region/"like another country).

Is that better?

Houston has many, many Southern elements/characteristics--which makes it an integral part of the wonderful amalgamation that is Texas.

This is "both-and" not "either-or."

Old 05-06-2012, 10:05 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Texas (state) is Texas (region/cultural region/"like another country).

Is that better?

Houston has many, many Southern elements/characteristics--which makes it an integral part of the wonderful amalgamation that is Texas.

This is "both-and" not "either-or."
Chicago fits in to the midwest just about as much as Houston fits into the south.

Take out Houston from the South, then do the same for Chicago from the Midwest. Take out Detroit too.

reordering it you get:
Atlanta vs. Cleveland
Charlotte vs. Minneapolis
Nashville vs. Kansas City
New Orleans vs. St. Louis
Raleigh/Durham vs. Columbus
Richmond vs. Indianapolis
Memphis vs. Cincinnati
Jacksonville vs. Omaha
Birmingham vs. Milwaukee

Although Cleveland isn't very midwestern either.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
If you read our posts carefully, you will see that, in essence, chiatdal and I are both right.

I never said that Texas doesn't have many, many Southern elements, etc. It in fact does.

However, Texas is an amalgamation.

This situation is an example of "both-and" rather than "either or."

Texas is very Southern in a lot aspects--but it is not a part of the American South.

Texas is Texas...and that is a good thing. Beautiful blended culture, beautiful state, and wonderful pride. Like they say--it is like its own country. I personally love this about Texas. There is even a dialect out there known as "Texas German." Awesome.

Capital of Texas: Austin
Capital of the American South: Atlanta
My biggest question is how did North Florida manage to fit into your definition of the South, but not East Texas? Obviously, you feel that not all of Florida could be included.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
My biggest question is how did North Florida manage to fit into your definition of the South, but not East Texas? Obviously, you feel that not all of Florida could be included.

Good question.

Because Texas is truly an amalgamation--a blended culture, region, nation with many Southern (and other elements).

That is not really the case in Florida. South of Orlando, "southerness" is found mainly in a lot of the native black population and some of the left-over rural communities in the Florida "spine." There hasn't been much of blend between these communities and the other New Floridians that came. A very stark contrast. The population of the New Floridians is very large as well--overwhelming in comparison.

And--you just caint have Texas without East Texas--that destroys the wonderful nation/amalgamatioin that is Texas!

North Florida and New Florida can be like two different states. And--there is still some talk about parts (or all) of North Florida joining Alabama and/or Georgia. Especially in the panhandle (joining Alabama).

Old 05-06-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Good question.

Because Texas is truly an amalgamation--a blended culture, region, nation with many Southern (and other elements).

That is not really the case in Florida. South of Orlando, "southerness" is found mainly in a lot of the native black population and some of the left-over rural communities in the Florida "spine."
Despite what you think, the entire state is not a blend of culture. The only culture to be found in most of East Texas is southern and/or Cajun. Pure southern culture doesn't just magically begin once you cross into Louisiana (which, in many ways, is hardly distinct from East Texas).

Old 05-06-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:

And--you just caint have Texas without East Texas--that destroys the wonderful nation/amalgamatioin that is Texas!

North Florida and New Florida can be like two different states. And--there is still some talk about parts (or all) of North Florida joining Alabama and/or Georgia. Especially in the panhandle (joining Alabama).
You can't have Florida without North Florida, either. At this point, deciding which gets to be called "the South" is completely arbitrary on your part, and not really supported by any reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City