Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2012, 03:17 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
This is a very American thing to do, I nod my head and roll my eyes when I ask someone where they hail from and they answer saying they are part German, Irish, Italian, French, etc all rolled in. Their relying off where their ancestors trace their roots, most of these people havent even been to Europe let alone have any deep ties to warrant their foam in mouth flag waiving. These people more often than not cant even speak/understand German, French, Italian, etc

If anyone wants to know what a real cosmopolitan city looks like then I invite you to join me in Miami. I'll give you a short tour over the weekend and then when you see a blue eyed half French half Brasilian girl [able to speak French/Portuguese], you'll see what separates the south from the midwest. DC and Houston have this also and these are all places where minorities compromise over 40% of their metro populations.
Oh please. A white person saying that is the same thing as a black person saying there African American. What is their connection to Africa and have they ever been there. It is still interesting to hear about, no matter what.

If a wide range of "blue eyed half French half Brasilian girl [able to speak French/Portuguese]" or a lot of other races/ethnicities is what makes a city cosmpolitan. Then I guess most most cities in Europe, Asia, and such are not cosmopolitan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 03:23 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,253,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
Then I guess most most cities in Europe, Asia, and such are not cosmopolitan.
No they arent cosmopolitan cities for the most part. [London, Berlin, and Paris being Euro exceptions] Tokyo is a great world city but cosmopolitan it is not. Hope that clears it up for you

Hey if you want to talk about France and Italy with a watered down American who has never been, doesnt understand the language, history, and cant speak it with only ties to those places because of ancestry then thats on you. I would rather talk to someone who knows the culture, speaks it, understands it, and feels ties to it but thats just what I like. If you want the watered down version then stay in some place like Cleveland because you wont like Miami, DC, Houston, etc where hearing Spanish, French, Chinese, Vietnamese, Portuguese is all to common.

Census: South second to West in diversity - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old 05-07-2012, 03:36 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Miami, DC, Houston, etc where hearing Spanish, French, Chinese, Vietnamese, Portuguese is all to common.
Good stuff.

I once helped these Spanish ladies visiting Atlanta find the Coca Cola Museum. They were pointing at a MARTA map in a station, sounding confused and speaking Spanish.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:40 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Quote:
No they arent cosmopolitan cities for the most part. [London, Berlin, and Paris being Euro exceptions] Tokyo is a great world city but cosmopolitan it is not. Hope that clears it up for you

Hey if you want to talk about France and Italy with a watered down American who has never been, doesnt understand the language, history, and cant speak it with only ties to those places because of ancestry then thats on you. I would rather talk to someone who knows the culture, speaks it, understands it, and feels ties to it but thats just what I like. If you want the watered down version then stay in some place like Cleveland because you wont like Miami, DC, Houston, etc where hearing Spanish, French, Chinese, Vietnamese, Portuguese is all to common.

They'll eventually assimilate and speak English just like the Germans, Polish, Irish, Italians, and Scandinavians that came to the Midwest. And then they'll just be boring Americans like the rest of us. There's not much of a difference, it's just that the Midwest had lots of immigration in the past and the South is getting it now. It doesn't make one region better than the other. This conversation is pointless, and so was the "Merican" thing that started it

Old 05-07-2012, 03:43 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,718 times
Quote:

The ancestries of cities is what shapes that city. What would New York City be without Italians and such or Boston without the Irish and such. Do you want America to be this boring country where everybody is just plain old American. Most people who cliam these ancestries dont try and act like they just came off the boat, they are just trying to keep in touch with their history and culture. You dont ever hear 4th generation italians or Germans trying to pretend they speak the language becuase underneath they know they are American through and through. Stop hating on other cities just becuase the South will never have the wind range of White ethnicities(except New Orleans). You go to these cities and you can tell the impact these different groups hade on these cities.
I lived in Houston and all I mostly heard was Spanish and English.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:50 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,675,731 times
I'm from St. Louis originally, I've been living in Paris for several years. I speak the language and know the culture very well, would you like to talk to me about it? I've also been to Miami many times btw and I enjoy the city; however, I find your opinions, because that is what they are, very amusing, sterotypical, and ignorant to say the least. Also, in regards to my old home city, your ranting has already been shown by another poster to be full of false pretenses...

Another thing, not just you on this forum btw, stop with this "world-class city" bs.... the South??? I love it and around half of my family is from there, but do you seriously not know the repretation of the South internationally??? That is to say assuming anyoe knows where you're talking about... Knocking the midwest cities as just "merican" and considering the south so worldly is really laughable. So glad it's just one big bragging contest on here, no requirements of facts btw, that we feel the need to insult entire regions of our own country blindly. Especially interesing as it seems the past most insulted region seems to think itself fit to just bash another now...

Quote:

Old 05-07-2012, 03:53 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,675,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Good stuff.

I once helped these Spanish ladies visiting Atlanta find the Coca Cola Museum. They were pointing at a MARTA map in a station, sounding confused and speaking Spanish.
This post was going to be very snarky... I'll just give you a thumbs up that this was a good experience for you instead...

Old 05-07-2012, 04:05 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,253,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
I'm from St. Louis originally, I've been living in Paris for several years. I speak the language and know the culture very well, would you like to talk to me about it? I've also been to Miami many times btw and I enjoy the city; however, I find your opinions, because that is what they are, very amusing, sterotypical, and ignorant to say the least. Also, in regards to my old home city, your ranting has already been shown by another poster to be full of false pretenses...

Another thing, not just you on this forum btw, stop with this "world-class city" bs.... the South??? I love it and around half of my family is from there, but do you seriously not know the repretation of the South internationally??? That is to say assuming anyoe knows where you're talking about... Knocking the midwest cities as just "merican" and considering the south so worldly is really laughable. So glad it's just one big bragging contest on here, no requirements of facts btw, that we feel the need to insult entire regions of our own country blindly. Especially interesing as it seems the past most insulted region seems to think itself fit to just bash another now...
I never said anything about world class now did I? I mentioned global cities/international cities and if you really think Cleveland which can barely keep its natives gets immigrants from all over the world to compete with places like Atlanta or Miami then you should open your eyes to reality.

Well I'm glad you find my opinions amusing, I find the midwest amusing. Peruvians, South Africans, Congoans would practically be celebrities in most midwestern cities, your region isnt used to seeing global/international immigrants. I mean how would they get there? Through airports because thats the only possibly way to get to the midwest and even then the region holds out its hands for scraps the other 3 coastal regions get and dont want. Lets put it this way, when Mexicans immigrate to the U.S. they go into the border states, then they go to the midwest. When Asians or Africans arrive in the U.S. they arrive in a 'gateway' city like SF, LA, NY, DC and then the ones that want to go to the midwest go there. At least the south has a reputation internationally, the midwhat? Midwhere? Someone say something about a frozen tundra?

Naturalizations, if I had more time I would give you the metro regions but thats going to have to wait until tomorrow. http://www.migrationinformation.org/...n11-table1.cfm

Last one out of the midwest, turn off the lights

Old 05-07-2012, 04:11 PM

886 posts, read 1,564,050 times
Your true colors are showing

Last edited by BLAXTOR; 05-07-2012 at 04:43 PM..

Old 05-07-2012, 04:18 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
I never said anything about world class now did I? I mentioned global cities/international cities and if you really think Cleveland which can barely keep its natives gets immigrants from all over the world to compete with places like Atlanta or Miami then you should open your eyes to reality.

Well I'm glad you find my opinions amusing, I find the midwest amusing. Peruvians, South Africans, Congoans would practically be celebrities in most midwestern cities, your region isnt used to seeing global/international immigrants. I mean how would they get there? Through airports because thats the only possibly way to get to the midwest and even then the region holds out its hands for scraps the other 3 coastal regions get and dont want. Lets put it this way, when Mexicans immigrate to the U.S. they go into the border states, then they go to the midwest. When Asians or Africans arrive in the U.S. they arrive in a 'gateway' city like SF, LA, NY, DC and then the ones that want to go to the midwest go there. At least the south has a reputation internationally, the midwhat? Midwhere? Someone say something about a frozen tundra?

Naturalizations, if I had more time I would give you the metro regions but thats going to have to wait until tomorrow. http://www.migrationinformation.org/...n11-table1.cfm

Last one out of the midwest, turn off the lights
Your comments are pretty amazing. That's all I have to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City