Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 10:46 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
It seems like a lot of people from Atlanta dont really consider Dallas southern. I had an ex from Atlanta who would argue vigorously that Dallas was Midwestern.

I say Dallas is part of the Texas, the Great Plains, and the South in that order.
It's not specific to Atlanta; a lot of us deep Southerners/Southeasterners are ignorant of Texas's identity as a Southern state. One of my fraternity brothers who's originally from SC got married here in Atlanta a few weekends ago and he attended law school in Houston. While there, he met another one of our frat brothers who's from Texas who told me that when they first met, my bro from SC would argue with the one from Texas that Texas isn't Southern. I was at a card party one time with someone from San Antonio and he had to explain to someone from NC that he considers San Antonio the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 10:51 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's not specific to Atlanta; a lot of us deep Southerners/Southeasterners are ignorant of Texas's identity as a Southern state. One of my fraternity brothers who's originally from SC got married here in Atlanta a few weekends ago and he attended law school in Houston. While there, he met another one of our frat brothers who's from Texas who told me that when they first met, my bro from SC would argue with the one from Texas that Texas isn't Southern. I was at a card party one time with someone from San Antonio and he had to explain to someone from NC that he considers San Antonio the South.
Honestly, San Antonio as a southern city is a hard sell, but how anyone could think that neither Dallas or Houston are southern is beyond me.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Honestly, San Antonio as a southern city is a hard sell, but anyone could think that neither Dallas or Houston are southern is beyond me.
I consider it more of a hybrid myself, but the guy clearly considered himself a Southerner. He talked about how his grandmother used to pick cotton back in the day in the region and all of that.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:54 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
It seems like a lot of people from Atlanta dont really consider Dallas southern. I had an ex from Atlanta who would argue vigorously that Dallas was Midwestern.

I say Dallas is part of the Texas, the Great Plains, and the South in that order.
Agreed. Smart post.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Agreed. Smart post.
So now you're agreeing that Dallas is Southern, just not exclusively so?

Old 05-08-2012, 11:03 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So now you're agreeing that Dallas is Southern, just not exclusively so?
Um, I've been saying all along that Dallas, Houston, and Texas have many/some Southern elements--they are just not a part of The American South.

Start reading at page 13 or so on this thread.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Um, I've been saying all along that Dallas, Houston, and Texas have many/some Southern elements--they are just not a part of The American South.

Start reading at page 13 or so on this thread.
Well you just said you agreed with someone who said that Dallas is indeed a part of the South (and this obviously means "the American South").

You're a confusing lad.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:26 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,781 times
I apologize to the midwesterners for my classless posts, I didn't realize it when I was posting but after a whole day and rereading what I said it showed no class. I don't hate the midwest in the least, it started by responding to an equally classless forumer. I am sorry for the trouble.

However I still argue that the southern cities are more international and to support my point here is a graphic that will show you their diversity from the most recent census. It will show DC is most in line with Atlanta except slightly more diverse, Miami has everything but Asians going for it, and Dallas and Houston have it all.

All sizes | Contiguous United States, Census 2010 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 05-08-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The funny thing about DC is that the older native generations of the city is Southern. After many years of denying it, I've come to that conclusion that city is really nothing of the Northeast or South. I work with born and raised Washingtons and one of them who grew up on Georgia Ave NW off Park Rd. He pronounces street as "screet." He say scrawberries instead of strawberries. That is not all to different than what you will hear in some of the towns of Georgia and Florida.
Older generations will claim the south more than the north, they were from a time when DC was undeniably southern and when it was 3 million smaller than it is now. Today you would be pressed to find younger generations claiming the south or the north for that matter. People in DC are the most isolated from any region because we dont have a region that claims us, its important to look at the history of the area culture from the last 50 years to now. I say DC is in the south but its mostly in jest. While I really do believe DC can be in the south, I dont believe anyone will identify as southerners. You cant get the people in this area to identify as northerners either. We're very hard people to work with and with Vegas, DC is the most transient place in the U.S. which makes identifying the culture of an already confused area that much harder.

Arguments can be made for both the south and northeast. With DC, pick a side and thats all there is to it.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
You're still a bit amusing, but you are making me sad for good discourse as a whole... A few thoughts, above and beyond your falacies that were already pointed out that is...

To the first bolded:
This is a joke right? You say what you didn't say (global cities, ok now, very different.... my point still stands, and quit with the "my" region bs, I have very strong associations to the South (Florida, Texas, Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, and TN, family and considerable time spent in all, including living in a few, you can freely attack my biased attachment to my old home metro of St. Louis if you want, but as another poster pointed out, you dont seem to know much about it now do you?) What the heck did I say about Cleveland (nothing against it)??? Now whose grasping at straws....

Btw, you picked Cleveland and compared it to two of the South's best (depending upon how you define "the South" you have the best and one that is not included, but I'm not that interested in this conversation at the moment) international cities, very fair...

2nd bolded, define most???? These are celebrities in the midwest??? Or immigrants celebrities now???? In the US no less!!! The "melting pot" nation of imigrants... wow...

Next on the same thought...

I wasn't even sure if this was serious (even for you who tried to claim the world fashion influence of Austin, coming from Paris this is so awesome btw...), how would they get to the midwest??? You say by airports like this is old fashioned........do you take a boat to NY or to Europe??? I'm serious, I can't tell what you're getting at here... I go back and forth to Europe at least half a dozen times a year, I always fly...seriously, what do you do? Do you still take a covered wagon around the US? I love the coast, and it is def a minus for the midwest from day to day, but personal transport? (day to day if you live in Atlanta or most of the South, you're not on the coast, and it's 2012 for god sake, flights are pretty short, oh, nvm, you don't get airports...)

None of your "gateway cities" are in the South, and no Chicago huh? O'Hare....just saying....

Now for the last, for now (I feel this ignorance is not an off moment for you...), I am sad that the image of the South is so hard to shake from the past. You say at least there is a reputation (Chicago has no rep??? Ok...), I don't feel this way at all.... The reputation of the South here (again this assumes the even get the idea of "the South") is inbred, backwater, racist, narrowminded, bfe, uneducated hicks, etc. THIS IS NOT MY THOUGHTS AT ALL and I wish people would stop relying on sterotypes (like you for the midwest). That is better? Ok, to each their own... I love both and get the importace and things that make each region special and wonderful, sad to hear you're so happy to trash talk a region of our country to try and satisfy your rather sad little ego...
1. Global cities and 'world class' cities are two very different things. World class would mean high quality, having amenities that are of high quality that are worth seeing in the city and traveling from far distances to do it. Global cities is a form cities take when they become the spot for immigration or when cities establish global ties through their economies.

2. Miami and Houston are gateway cities, if you want to include Chicago which receives 34k immigrants each year then Miami which receives 55k qualifies and Houston which receives 31k may also do so. Not to mention DC. In immigration there is Miami, DC next, Chicago after, Houston then, closely followed by Dallas.

3. The U.S. is a melting pot but not everywhere in the U.S. is a melting pot.

4. I define the south the way the census defines the south. It saves the emotional banter and crying that this thread itself has shown for the last 4 pages.

5. I never claimed Austin is a world fashion center, just a national fashion center that places 48th in the world. Surpassed by only 1 place in the midwest, Chicago but by 3 places in the south Miami, Dallas, and Atlanta. According to global language monitor that publishes their 'fashion capital' publishings each year.

6. I use planes to travel unless I'm headed to Boston or NY then I prefer either driving or the train.

7. Coastal locations do draw more immigrants historically, although that is now an outdated transportation mode it still holds true economically. Coastal port cities have more ties internationally than landlocked cities do. Remember that while the midwest has major hub airports like ORD, coastal cities in the south like Miami and Houston do as well.

Last edited by Slyman11; 05-08-2012 at 12:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City