Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More international?
Houston 19 16.67%
Chicago 95 83.33%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 01:52 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,791,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Houston is closer distance wise to Cuba than it is Chicago.
And Chicago is closer to Montreal, Russia, and London what is the point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 02:19 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,922,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And Chicago is closer to Montreal, Russia, and London what is the point
It was in response to this question, thanks for caring though.

"Isn't it still all the way across the Gulf of Mexico (i.e. hundreds and hundreds of miles) to get to the Caribbean?"

Old 05-08-2012, 02:31 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,791,325 times
Quote:
It was in response to this question, thanks for caring though.

"Isn't it still all the way across the Gulf of Mexico (i.e. hundreds and hundreds of miles) to get to the Caribbean?"

What is the flight time difference to say Cancun? Am just curious

I know it is about 3 and change from neck of the woods; not sure of the difference

Old 05-08-2012, 02:31 PM

4,672 posts, read 7,370,862 times
Quote:
Which was a statement in response to the idea that the Caribbean is just a hop, skip, and jump away...You still need either a long boat ride or an airplane to get there.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
What is the flight time difference to say Cancun? Am just curious

I know it is about 3 and change from neck of the woods; not sure of the difference
Orbitz.com has flight time from IAH to CUN right at 2hr 11min

My cousin from Fort Worth who goes there all the time usually drives down to Galveston then takes a cruise ship to Cancun. Its a whole lot cheaper that way.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:06 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,554,268 times
Ha what is the deal with beaches and weather arguments going on here? Is Port au Prince more international than Paris because it has better beaches and weather? Not saying those are the city equivalents, but most of this thread is silly.

Houston seems like a nice place but the one question I have for Houstonians is - how do you get home from a night out? I don't even live in one of the hip hoods of Chicago, but I have the 24/7 blue line, the 24/7 Belmont bus and a fleet of taxi cabs at my disposal. To me that's pretty damn international; well maybe not international, but it's awesome regardless.

Disclaimer I haven't been to Houston yet, but have been to San Antonio, Dallas and OKC and many of the bar-goers in those cities wear their multiple DUIs as a badge of honor.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Ha what is the deal with beaches and weather arguments going on here? Is Port au Prince more international than Paris because it has better beaches and weather? Not saying those are the city equivalents, but most of this thread is silly.

Houston seems like a nice place but the one question I have for Houstonians is - how do you get home from a night out? I don't even live in one of the hip hoods of Chicago, but I have the 24/7 blue line, the 24/7 Belmont bus and a fleet of taxi cabs at my disposal. To me that's pretty damn international; well maybe not international, but it's awesome regardless.

Disclaimer I haven't been to Houston yet, but have been to San Antonio, Dallas and OKC and many of the bar-goers in those cities wear their multiple DUIs as a badge of honor.
Taxi or scooter service.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:59 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,043,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post

Oh the irony.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:13 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,126,530 times
I know Chicago is isolated from many major cities in the usa or the actual ocean, but it's not like you can't get there in a couple hours if you really needed a fix or something. It's an hour and a half flight time to the Atlantic on the east coast, just two hours to Florida, New Orleans, etc. There are multiple flights an hour to New York. I've left work at 4pm countless times and have been in Midtown Manhattan or in the French Quarter having dinner that same night.

That was one of the things I noticed right away when I moved here, how nice it is to have hundreds of non-stop options when I leave town for the weekend. Of course many cities have tons of options as well, just saying....it's not like everyone is stuck here or something and not allowed out to play.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:54 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,554,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Oh the irony.
Well an argument could be made that having 24/7 mass transit is much more indicative of being an international city (though not the only factor in and of itself) rather than beaches. Shoulder shrug. But anyway I wanted to ask the question, without an agenda, because I love going out to bars and not having to drive afterwards. Some of the cities I've been to close to Houston, cabs were hard to come by and everyone drove home from the bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City