Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More international?
Houston 19 16.67%
Chicago 95 83.33%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 09:00 AM

5,977 posts, read 13,115,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
It has salt water, beaches, sharks, dolphins, & jellyfish so it must be an ocean.

The Great Lakes are fresh water wanna be oceans with no sea creatures & beaches that are only good for 3 months out of the year. Don't you guys bring out those palm trees then put them up during winter time? LMAO
Exactly!

Now that I moved to LA, I go to the beach sometimes twice a week. I live about 5 miles from the beach. When I was in Chicago I lived about 8-9 miles from the beach, and went only a couple of twice a year.

To me, there wasn't much to see. The Great Lakes have no marine life, and the beaches in the city of Chicago are totally artificially created a century ago.

I mean granted the weather and climate have a lot to do with why I didn't go to Chicagos beaches much, but still. And there is more "people watching" here on the beach anyways, if you catch my drift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 09:02 AM

771 posts, read 1,395,214 times
So let's say Houston passes up Chicago in population, what's your point?

Most people around the world don't even know that Chicago is the third largest city. Heck, people in this country dont even know. Most people don't care. Most people care about a cities influence culturally and internationally, its history and landmarks. Cities like DC, Boston, SF are surpassed by several other American cities in size yet they are much more international. So all this population talk doesn't reall matter. Its like saying Dallas is bigger than SF so now it's more international. From my experience, most visitors I have met that visited Chicago had no idea it was the third largest. It's only in the U.S., where we feel the need to always want it bigger.

Yes Houston is international but I don't think it's as close as some of you say. I believe there are at least 3-4 cities between Chicago and Houston in this category. I think for Houston to reach Chicago's international level it would have to through a few others first to get there.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:05 AM

5,977 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post

I will admit that Houston has the "Business side" of international notoriety already established, but is severely lacking on the tourism side compared to the other "Big Five" US cities and the majority of folks in the world that travel to see other countries/cities aren't concerned which one has the most Fortune 500 companies.
Exactly. I think we can also add that in cultural diversity/% foreign born, Houston is also pretty well established too.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:43 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Wow, Chicago, with its "wanna be" oceans (LOL) is running away with this. Since when does international have anything to do with sea creatures?

Old 05-05-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Wow, Chicago, with its "wanna be" oceans (LOL) is running away with this. Since when does international have anything to do with sea creatures?
Seriously. Last time I checked many European great internatinal cities such as Rome, Paris, London, Madrid, Moscow, Berlin, And Milan weren't coastal cities.

Beijing, Seoul, Mexico City, Sao Paulo, Santiago and Toronto are not coastal either. I guess none of those are international cities then.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:43 PM

686 posts, read 1,167,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
At the rate Houston is growing I don't think it will be as long as some people think.

Chicago will always be the third through fifth city mentioned as far as international prominence goes.

Cities like New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington DC are too well known in the societies of peoples from all over the world. IMO, a growing city just can't be gigantic alone to have "international prominence" to userp (NY, LA, SF, DC, Chicago). These names are too big and rich history is tied to every one of these "Big Five" cities. In order for Houston to gain "international notoriety" to attract foreign visiters they must be able to offer something for the visiter that is "exclusive" to Houston.

I will admit that Houston has the "Business side" of international notoriety already established, but is severely lacking on the tourism side compared to the other "Big Five" US cities and the majority of folks in the world that travel to see other countries/cities aren't concerned which one has the most Fortune 500 companies.
Agreed, several projects should really boost the tourism side. For example. Pleasure Pier is opening this summer in Galveston, giving the Metro area a legit Amusement park. Phase 2 of Light Rail is set from completion in by 2013 which will really help Houston in the image department. The County is currently discussing plans for the future of the Astrodome... it could possibly be a tourist destination depending on project they choose. So Houston is getting their act together in that area.

Last edited by JMT; 05-05-2012 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: You violated the rules for posting images.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:51 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post

Agreed, several projects should really boost the tourism side. For example. Pleasure Pier is opening this summer in Galveston, giving the Metro area a legit Amusement park. Phase 2 of Light Rail is set from completion in by 2013 which will really help Houston in the image department. The County is currently discussing plans for the future of the Astrodome... it could possibly be a tourist destination depending on project they choose. So Houston is getting their act together in that area.

I really need to see Houston. About nine years ago (the last time I was in the South) I was in a rush to get from New Orleans to Amarillo, TX to drop off my friend and due to time constraints I took I-10 as far west as Beaumont before going up US 287 bypassing Houston to save time..To this day I have never forgiven myself for making that detour. But all is not lost since I am going on a southern US roadie trip in late July and I will see Houston this time

BTW, Those projects look very nice and that coastside amusement park looks spectacular!

Old 05-05-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post

Thats all nice, but that pier isnt even in Houston proper and I cant imagine people from all over the world will fly in to see a pier amusement park thats not even in the city.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:21 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Thats all nice, but that pier isnt even in Houston proper and I cant imagine people from all over the world will fly in to see a pier amusement park thats not even in the city.
I think the bigger question is that region is prone to hurricanes. Galveston was wiped out a few years ago and IMO a Cat 4 or 5 will make short work of that amusement park.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:17 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Please keep this thread on topic. It's about Houston and Chicago. And only Houston and Chicago.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City