Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More international?
Houston 19 16.67%
Chicago 95 83.33%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 06:06 PM

686 posts, read 1,167,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Thats all nice, but that pier isnt even in Houston proper and I cant imagine people from all over the world will fly in to see a pier amusement park thats not even in the city.
Doesn't matter if it's in Houston proper or not..... Houston is the sole big Dawg in it's Metro Area, Secondly, you are missing the point....Of a course no one is going to fly in from all over the World to go to an Amusement Park alone. However, multiple attractions in it's totality could make the area more appealing for tourist to come down and visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 06:08 PM

686 posts, read 1,167,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
I think the bigger question is that region is prone to hurricanes. Galveston was wiped out a few years ago and IMO a Cat 4 or 5 will make short work of that amusement park.
That's what Insurance is for... It will just be re-built.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:20 PM

571 posts, read 1,281,576 times
Everybody needs to clam down. I think the words "importance" and "prominence" mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

I'm sure Chicago is more recognized globally but that's not to say people have never heard of Houston. Most people (even outside of the USA) have heard of the phrase "Houston, we have a problem". They've heard of the Astrodome, they've heard of Enron, they've heard (or saw) Janet Jackson's nipple. Houston has its claims to fame. As somebody from Houston, I understand that it's easy to get defensive when threads like this are created but I can also give credit where credit is due and I'm not blind and/or oblivious to certain truths/facts. That said though, I love my home b/c at the end of the day, that's what it is to nearly 6 million people (in the metro area - Houston pushes higher in population standings - The Business Journals).

I say by the end of this decade, Houston will have continued to mature. Houston has yet to find its identity which is one major advantage Chicago has over us. That said, like Chicago, Houston is very diverse and there's undoubtedly something here for anybody and everybody. Instead of asking "who's more international", I think the more important question is what steps does Houston need to take to make the leap from the tier its on to the next tier of US cities - that is the more recognizable faces (NY, LA and Chi)? (aside from the obvious infill and urbanization that inner loop Houston needs).

Last edited by JMT; 05-05-2012 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: Please stay on topic.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:11 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Which is more international? Chicago, easy.
Where would I rather live? Houston, easy.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:51 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Thats all nice, but that pier isnt even in Houston proper and I cant imagine people from all over the world will fly in to see a pier amusement park thats not even in the city.
Downtown Houston is less than 50 miles from the coast. From the southeast side of the city limits its more like 30 miles.

The east side of the city hugs Galveston Bay, which empties into the Gulf of Mexico.

It doesn't matter if its in Houston proper or not, Galveston Island resides within the Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown Metropolitan area.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:18 PM

654 posts, read 1,909,340 times
Yes, Chicago is probably more international but I think Houston is an amazing city that is under appreciated. I voted Houston to give it some of the respect it deserves.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:22 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,975 times
50 miles is a lot.
You houston people are used to driving far though, so I guess you consider an ocean 50 miles away "next to"

And wtf at the ocean being better because it has jellyfish, salt, and sharks
Who the hell wants that when they swim?
Unless you're some marine biologist, I don't see how you would rather dip into that.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:19 PM

422 posts, read 815,395 times
Not a fair poll. We are running out of places to compare. Houston has come a long way. Chicago is not budging.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:34 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
50 miles is a lot.
You houston people are used to driving far though, so I guess you consider an ocean 50 miles away "next to"

And wtf at the ocean being better because it has jellyfish, salt, and sharks
Who the hell wants that when they swim?
Unless you're some marine biologist, I don't see how you would rather dip into that.
You don't need to be a marine biologist to appreciate the beautiful sea-shells, the sight of dolphins, the variety of bird life, etc., etc., that the Great Lakes don't have.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:44 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,426 times
ok..lets not start this pointless lake michigan vs "the ocean" garbage... its not like Galveston is some lovely new england sea side town with whales and abounding marine life..give me a break. anybody who has seen lake michigan on the chicago lakefront in the summer can attest that it is gorgeous and chicago is EXTREMELY lucky to have it. i've never seen a more pathetic attempt at argument than "well chicago is on a great lake and that is not the ocean so THERE". you've got to be kidding me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City