Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More international?
Houston 19 16.67%
Chicago 95 83.33%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,662,744 times

Advertisements

I think Metro matts point was...the great lakes aren't a real ocean.

The initial reason the ocean was brought up was to talk about how Houston has better access to international spots by ship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,042,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post

The initial reason the ocean was brought up was to talk about how Houston has better access to international spots by ship.
Sorry but that doesn't hold water

NAFTA Transborder Truck Flows and Traffic at US Ports of Entry, 2002

Houston has a very very minimal part in US/Mexican trade as most of it doesn't come from ship. Chicago-Detroit-Windsor on the other hand plays a major role in NAFTA as an intermodal hub between the US and Mexico (again mainly truck and rail). We also still do a pretty significantly larger share of Trade with Canada than with Mexico.

Houston's Port is really based on Oil more than on Cargo because most Cargo would go to Ft. Lauderdale, NY, LA or Oakland. There's just little economical reason these days for a ship to go through the Gulf of Mexico unless it has to.

World's Major Gateway Systems, 2006

Houston is very low in terms of being a Gateway despite it being a much larger Port in terms of TEU because of this very reason. Since Houston doesn't share a border with Mexico it really doesn't handle much of the trucking and rail freight either.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:53 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,917,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post

Yeah the Carribean Islands are a short hop, skip, & jump from Houston.

You can catch a cruise out of Houston-Galveston, you can not do that in Chicago.

I prefer semi-tropical cities like Houston where you see palm trees everywhere, but thats just me. Its adds to the international "feel" of Houston.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:05 PM

4,672 posts, read 7,368,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Yeah the Carribean Islands are a short hop, skip, & jump from Houston.

You can catch a cruise out of Houston-Galveston, you can not do that in Chicago.

I prefer semi-tropical cities like Houston where you see palm trees everywhere, but thats just me. Its adds to the international "feel" of Houston.
Isn't it still all the way across the Gulf of Mexico (i.e. hundreds and hundreds of miles) to get to the Caribbean?

And, if I'm not mistaken, they do have cruise ships on the Great Lakes. But none of this is germane to the topic at hand. I personally don't think palm trees adds to an "international" feel. There are plenty of palm trees in the U.S.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Isn't it still all the way across the Gulf of Mexico (i.e. hundreds and hundreds of miles) to get to the Caribbean?

And, if I'm not mistaken, they do have cruise ships on the Great Lakes. But none of this is germane to the topic at hand. I personally don't think palm trees adds to an "international" feel. There are plenty of palm trees in the U.S.
There are only a handful of places in the continenatal United States a Coconut Palm (the pinnicale for palm growers such as myself) can be successfully grown, the Texas Coast, Southern California, & South Florida.

Interesting fact:

Houston is closer distance wise to Cuba than it is Chicago.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:22 PM

814 posts, read 1,469,571 times
Quote:
There are only a handful of places in the continenatal US a Coconut Palm (the pinnicale for palm growers such as myself) can be successfully grown, the Texas Coast, Southern California, & South Florida.
Why would the Coconut Palm be able to grow on the Texas Coast(I guess your including Houston) and not the rest of the Gulf Coast?

Old 05-08-2012, 01:24 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,782,456 times
Quote:
There are only a handful of places in the continenatal United States a Coconut Palm (the pinnicale for palm growers such as myself) can be successfully grown, the Texas Coast, Southern California, & South Florida.

Understood but that would be as silly as saying Chicago is more international because it gets snow

Old 05-08-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
Why would the Coconut Palm be able to grow on the Texas Coast(I guess your including Houston) and not the rest of the Gulf Coast?
No, not Houston. It is successfully grown on Galveston Island in microclimates with a little protection during winter cold snaps.

This why it can't be grown along all of the Gulf Coast.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:34 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,042,617 times
What does Palm Trees have to do with the topic?

Old 05-08-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
What does Palm Trees have to do with the topic?
They are exotic thats why!

I think they add to Houston's international flair IMO, but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City