Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 05:46 PM

27 posts, read 49,987 times

Advertisements

Hi! I read on the forum since a little while but this is my first thread, I hope you'll be able to help me!

To tell my story a little, I am now 27 and I live in Quebec City. I am a newly graduated Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon, I sucessfully undertaked the final speciality examinations and I am ready to start practicing both in Canada and US.

So, for personal reasons and the end of my studies, I am moving in the USA. (The legal immigration procedures are ok, I could move and work in the US right now if I'd want). But, I am now hesitating between Boston and Los Angeles.

The problem is not the job, I got some positive job applications in both cities. The problem is not the salary, there is not enough a great difference between the income I would make LA and in Boston (Approx. 200k with salarial augmentations through I get more and more experienced, if it can help you). The problem is neither the high cost of living of both cities, because it's expensive to live in the to places.

I know that these are two completely different cities But I visited both and I LOVE them BOTH.

What I like in Boston is that it's a pretty comptact city in which you can get everywhere by bike or by foot. I like the fast-paced atmosphere, the fact that it's not too far away from my homeland, the beautiful tree-lined streets and the Common. Finally, I also like the fact that it is a very clean city and that it is far less polluted than Los Angeles.

The primary thing I like in Los Angeles is, I think you guessed it, the beautiful climate. After all, being a Quebecker, I'll always try to find the sun. I also like the beaches and the parks, the PALM lined streets, the great vibe of the city and the fact that the nature is very present in and around the city (from the beach, to the city, to the mountains, to the snow, to the desert). This city has also a lot to offer and a lot of activities to do. Finally, I love the multicultural aspect and the various areas of the city that all have their own character.

Oh, I forgot, I love LA girls too!

For the negative sides, I know the principal ones (like traffic and pollution in LA) but you can tell me more.

If you have other questions for me, just ask them, I'll gladly answer to them.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE------->Los Angeles Haters, abstain yourself of posting. If you want to tell bad sides of both cities it's okay, but I'd like opinion from people who lived or visited both cities so the famous "Los Angelinos vote LA and the rest of the US vote Boston" won't be present.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 05:57 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times
Well, I've lived in both cities (LA for 2 years now, Boston for the 3 before that).

Not sure exactly what you are looking for though

Old 05-10-2012, 06:31 PM

Okay, so here's a little list of what I'm looking for:

I am looking for a place where I'll be able to enjoy outdoor sports I practice (running,cycling, etc), where I can be able to go out and visit some great places within the city or the surroundings (by car, by bike or by foot).

I am also looking towards the future, and I want the best place to have kids one day (not now though...)

I'd also like to be able to have a community feeling, like in Quebec, where I'll be able to speak with and to know my neighbors, to go at local restaurants and café and speak with new people, and to have all the amenities I need in a restricted area (convenience store, groceries, schools, parks, etc.)

That's all I have on my mind for the moment I'll add some others things that I want as I think to them.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:21 AM

159 posts, read 428,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quebec_surgeon View Post

I am looking for a place where I'll be able to enjoy outdoor sports I practice (running,cycling, etc), where I can be able to go out and visit some great places within the city or the surroundings (by car, by bike or by foot).
Boston by a longshot.

Quote:
I am also looking towards the future, and I want the best place to have kids one day (not now though...)
Schools in Boston are better.

Quote:
I'd also like to be able to have a community feeling, like in Quebec, where I'll be able to speak with and to know my neighbors, to go at local restaurants and café and speak with new people, and to have all the amenities I need in a restricted area (convenience store, groceries, schools, parks, etc.)
Half the people in LA don't speak English, so Boston for this one, too. Although, honestly, I don't think you're going to find that 'we're French, hooray!' thing in either city. Also, if you wear a Habs jersey in Boston, you are liable to get shanked... so... just be sure to purge any such articles of clothing from your closet before you move.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrikeArghast View Post
Also, if you wear a Habs jersey in Boston, you are liable to get shanked... so... just be sure to purge any such articles of clothing from your closet before you move.
Yeah, I'm aware of that! I'll let my habs jersey in Quebec and change it for a Bruins one

Old 05-11-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:

Not sure why the poster above said Boston by a longshot

Definitely LA has more opportunity for outdoor sports - mountains, beaches, national parks all within city limits, not to mention the opportunities in the surrounding areas. Boston's not bad in this regard just not as much as in LA.

Visiting places in the city, Boston has some very notable things to see and do, but it is quite a limited selection - where in LA I almost feel a sense of panic because I can't see/do/experience everything in the city - I just don't have enough time/money.

Quote:
Boston definitely has a better public school system. Both are good places to raise kids. I'd say Boston is a little better in this regard.

Quote:
This will really vary neighborhood to neighborhood in both cities. Lets just say it can easily be found in both. People are generally friendlier in LA but again, results may very from neighborhood to neighborhood.

It sounds like ShrikeArghast does not have much experience in LA to say that half the residents don't speak English Just because they speak Spanish/Chinese/whatever doesn't mean they don't also speak English. Some of my most friendly neighbors speak English as a second language.

If anything the idea that half of LA residents don't speak English is a testament to how multi-cultural a city it is.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:54 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
I love Los Angeles and consider it my second home cause Im down there all the time, yesterday in fact. lol

But my only real gripe about LA is the Westside traffic.....it kills me.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
It sounds like ShrikeArghast does not have much experience in LA to say that half the residents don't speak English Just because they speak Spanish/Chinese/whatever doesn't mean they don't also speak English. Some of my most friendly neighbors speak English as a second language.

If anything the idea that half of LA residents don't speak English is a testament to how multi-cultural a city it is.
Yeah, I agree with you. Don't forget that English is also my second language And for the large hispanic population in Los Angeles, it's okay, I speak Spanish too! So the language barrier is not a big consideration in my case.

I'd also like to know (amongst the other things I mentionned above) some positive and negative points of the two cities. That could make me discover some new aspects I've never thought of before.

Thanks for all the suggestions up to now! Keep them coming!!

Old 05-11-2012, 03:12 PM

Lets see, negatives...

West Side traffic is horrendous, though I rarely drive and even more rarely go to the West Side, so its very avoidable.

The Valley can get very hot, but the other side of the hill stays pretty temperate year round. The weather can get monotonous.

Public Transportation is lacking for a city of its size - that being said it is WAY better than advertised. In fact I just realized yesterday that LA now has more train lines than Boston . Of course it is a bigger city so some parts of the city lack coverage, like the aforementioned West Side. The buses are excellent (best I've ever experienced) but are better in Central LA (Hollywood, Wilshire, Downtown). Having a car makes the city more enjoyable, but then again I could say that about Boston as well.

Another downside is that some of the most interesting and urban neighborhoods are a bit scuzzy and rundown. A lot are gentrifying (East Hollywood, Mid-City, Highland Park) but others have a long way to go (Boyle Heights, Westlake). Downtown is a little lacking but is buzzing with development and in 5 years time will probably be considered one of the best in the nation.

I like both cities a lot, so this is pretty hard to come up with negatives. It's pretty great situation for you to be in cause IMO you cannot make a wrong decision.

Negatives about Boston...

Being that you are from Quebec I would assume you don't mind snow. But that is a bit of a drag.

Boston is small so it can be a bit provincial. Less activities to do than other large cities, and it can be a bit out of the way as it is the furthest north on the Seaboard.

I love Boston but I am now a die-hard Red Sox and Patriots HATER. Can't stand the teams, but somehow the Celtics escaped my wrath .

Mexican food sucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City