Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 01:02 AM

52 posts, read 91,138 times

Advertisements

While I've posted on here months ago, thought I'd ask a few more questions. Still wanting to move from Milwaukee (where I am now). Though I've wavered over the months, my primary choices are down to Chicago, Boston, NYC or Seattle (probably more between the first two). I visited Boston for a week last fall, and Seattle last spring. (Grew up near Chicago, so know about there...).

My questions:
  1. Why choose Boston over NYC, or vice versa?
  2. Any reason to choose Boston or NYC over Chicago?
  3. How does Boston diversity/racism-wise compare to NYC or Chicago?
To list my details, 37-year-old gay Black male, interested in pursuing a career involving my nonfiction writing skills (like tech writing, etc.). Don't like Milwaukee, and want somewhere better educated, more cosmopolitan, and a better job market. Not an outdoorsman (I like some sports though), and don't have a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 03:00 AM

159 posts, read 428,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonynotes View Post
Why choose Boston over NYC, or vice versa?
Boston is smaller, easier to handle, nicer to look at, has a far more interesting history, and better all-around sports teams. NYC is... a 'phenomenon,' and not, I would argue, a good one. There are very few people who like New York City outside an occasional trip there. I have heard from many credible sources, however, that living there is hellish.

Quote:
Any reason to choose Boston or NYC over Chicago?
I would never pick Chicago over either because it is in the midwest. There's no ocean, no mountains, and the scenery is extraordinarily ho-hum. I've lived in the midwest and was not impressed.

Quote:
How does Boston diversity/racism-wise compare to NYC or Chicago?
Why are there so many black people posting on these forums regarding whether or not a city X or city Y will accept them? There are significant African American populations in every major city in the country... and, I'd argue, every single city in the country also has its fair share of racism. America is America -- it's not markedly different in one place than another. Well... except the deep south. There's no changing that >.>.

The racial makeup of 'old' Boston was heavily Irish/Italian. The racial makeup of Chicago included a lot of large populations, somewhat unique amongst these many polish people. NYC had everything under the sun. However, judging these cities today based on their immigrant communities from the nineteenth century is a little on the silly side. You'll find multiculturalism, liberalism, acceptance and hatred in all three places. However, the most liberal of the bunch is arguably Boston, though it isn't the same 'brand' if liberalism you'd encounter in, say, San Francisco. Massachusetts is much more about pragmatism than the 'anything goes' California version.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:25 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Why choose Boston over NYC, or vice versa?
Boston over NYC for cost of living. NYC over Boston for the ultimate urban experience.

Quote:
Any reason to choose Boston or NYC over Chicago?
In your case, for a change of scenery. Milwaukee is Chicago Lite in terms of its geographical features (or lack thereof), culture, and urban aesthetic; so it's really nothing new compared to what you grew up with. East Coast cities just have a different overall vibe and provides a different experience.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:39 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,686 times
As you mentioned in your post that it will come down to the first two cities and Chicago would have met Boston at the finish line had it not been for Chicago's weak job market.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:47 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,411 times
Were I a Black man I would not want to live in Boston unless I had a good reason to (there are good reasons to live in Boston, of course). Chicago (where I was born) is an amazing city but probably too close to you geographically, let alone any similarities between the two. A good friend of mine just moved to LA, one of the reasons being he was tired of being a Black man in Seattle, something about racist loggers and the like, but I've never been to Seattle so I can't give a good assessment. NYC's only detractor is that it's very expensive, other than that it has absolutely everything so it's what you make of it. If you can swing it financially, NYC all the way.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:40 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,748 times
Black, 24 year-old, college-educated guy here.

Chicago is great choice if you're looking for an urban experience at the right price. Though the city has a reputation for being segregated, few other large cities can do better for a black man making his way in the world. The food and transit are other standouts.

Honestly, Boston is not really worth the money, unless you're going to be working or studying at a university. I may be the harshest on Boston simply because I live here, but Boston tends to feel more like a town. Some of the nicer parts of Boston can be very expensive and you're not getting very amenities. I think some of the greatest things about Boston lie outside of the city limits.

Seattle is an absolutely magnificent and beautiful city. I think it's very balanced in terms of cost of living (for larger cities anyway) and amenities. The natural setting can only be rivaled by a city such as San Francisco, even though I tend to find much more awe in Seattle's Olympic and Cascade Mountains, Puget Sound and the Elliot Bay. However, if you can't do gray weather, you're not an outdoors-man and you're looking for a more racially diverse city (though I felt quite at home there with the educated population), then Seattle is not a very good choice.

Ah, New York , New York. Honestly, it's fantastic, but it's a lot to handle. If you're not used to an urban experience this will probably not work out well. This is for people who are willing to pay the price to have a little bit of everything at their doorstep. Obviously the most expensive city of the group, by a mile, and in the US. It's usually not expected that you make this move, unless you're eager to move to the top of your field or you have money burning a hole in your pocket that needs to be spent. The city moves very fast and isn't very forgiving on any front. The locals have a notorious love-hate relationship with the city

Between Chicago and New York, it really depends on your what you can afford.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:57 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,922 times
Any particular reason you narrowed down to those 4? For your "description" I would think DC/Arlington and Philly would be really good choices.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:02 AM

159 posts, read 428,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post

Chicago is great choice if you're looking for an urban experience at the right price. Though the city has a reputation for being segregated, few other large cities can do better for a black man making his way in the world. The food and transit are other standouts.

Honestly, Boston is not really worth the money, unless you're going to be working or studying at a university. I may be the harshest on Boston simply because I live here, but Boston tends to feel more like a town. Some of the nicer parts of Boston can be very expensive and you're not getting very amenities. I think some of the greatest things about Boston lie outside of the city limits.

Seattle is an absolutely magnificent and beautiful city. I think it's very balanced in terms of cost of living (for larger cities anyway) and amenities. The natural setting can only be rivaled by a city such as San Francisco, even though I tend to find much more awe in Seattle's Olympic and Cascade Mountains, Puget Sound and the Elliot Bay. However, if you can't do gray weather, you're not an outdoors-man and you're looking for a more racially diverse city (though I felt quite at home there with the educated population), then Seattle is not a very good choice.

Ah, New York , New York. Honestly, it's fantastic, but it's a lot to handle. If you're not used to an urban experience this will probably not work out well. This is for people who are willing to pay the price to have a little bit of everything at their doorstep. Obviously the most expensive city of the group, by a mile, and in the US. It's usually not expected that you make this move, unless you're eager to move to the top of your field or you have money burning a hole in your pocket that needs to be spent. The city moves very fast and isn't very forgiving on any front. The locals have a notorious love-hate relationship with the city

This is an excellent rundown, although I do think you were a bit unfair with beantown. The setting is lovely for folks who love to sail, or to walk amongst really old buildings, or to hit a beach (okay, not in the city, but close to it).

Also, it's hard to give a low score to Boston's passion. I love how they love their sports; love their beer; love their irish heritage. I think you were spot-on about it feeling like a big town, but I honestly think that's a positive attribute, not a fault. Yeah, Boston goes to bed early and tends to wake up earlier, but I think that's all part of the fun.

Certainly, I'd rate it above either Chicago -- which has virtually no natural beauty within a 16 hour or so drive -- or NYC, which is so exensive that my wallet explodes every time I get within 50 miles of the place.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:53 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,411 times
16 hours? I've driven from Illinois to NY in 12. There is a fair amount of natural beauty within 3-6 hours from Chicago. Also some of us think Prairie's are beautiful. The Great Lakes region is a national gem. It's more of a series of inland seas. Northern Wisconsin, as you probably already know is beautiful (Door County, the North Woods, ect.) Northern Michigan is gorgeous with it's massive sand dunes to the point that local residents that also have property in the east coast are urged to keep it on the DL so they don't all come over and overdevelop/ruin it. Also all the small inland lakes! Lake Geneva, Lake Winnebago, Lake Poygan, Shewano in Wisconsin. The bahamas-blue water of Crystal lake in Michigan. The Manitou Islands are filled with wildlife and some of the most beautiful lighthouses outside of New England. Travel & Leisure placed Oval Beach (2-hours from Chicago) among the top 10 beaches in the country. So yeah, there's all that... The Midwest is a criminally underrated region, but that may be protecting it in some regards. Then again, it's the region you're the most familiar with already. If natural setting is really a priority for you, and think it sounds more like something that is being projected on you in this thread, then I would go with Seattle. Seriously, it's like another planet.

Last edited by git45; 05-06-2012 at 03:33 PM..

Old 05-06-2012, 03:46 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post

While I respect your opinion, I think stating that Boston is only good if you are either studying or working at a university really shortchanges Boston as a city and metro area. There is a lot more to Boston than the colleges/universities that a lot of cities could not offer. Boston is not different from any other city, of course the nicer parts are going to cost more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City