Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has better nightlife?
Minneapolis 28 20.59%
Atlanta 108 79.41%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:25 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,131,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
This thread is running about 4:1. Thus, 20,000 Frenchmen can't be wrong.
Going back to the point that has been drilled into your heads by now, surely: most/all those posters have not experienced both cities nightlives, or especially Minneapolis.

And you don't seem to respond to questions directed at you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 03:34 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,251,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Going back to the point that has been drilled into your heads by now, surely: most/all those posters have not experienced both cities nightlives, or especially Minneapolis.

And you don't seem to respond to questions directed at you...
One doesn't need to try petting a shark to know it may very well bite you.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:15 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,412,322 times
Can only tell you about Minneapolis what I've learned from reading it's forum and doing personal research. I can tell you from experience though that some things that make Atlanta's nightlife great is that there are a crazy number of big events taking place. There are tons of big name artist that live here or spend alot of time here that host or perform at or attend all kinds of parties. Alot of people in some other towns say that doesn't mean anything to them but it definitely raises the caliber of some of the clubs and adds a lot of energy, excitement and more crowds to some parties.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:40 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,047,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
I never been to minneapolis so I'm not going to vote in this thread but I can't imagine it beating the atl in terms of nightlife. Why don't you tell me how minneapolis beats the atl in terms of nightlife (what areas?)
I suggest you go back and read my first post.

Minneapolis has the lounges, the night clubs, the bars, the restaurants, the theaters, the music venues, etc... It has everything Atlanta has to offer, but is a notch below. Anyone who has ever spent time in either city would know this.

Last edited by BlackOut; 05-08-2012 at 01:58 AM..

Old 05-08-2012, 08:52 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,078,017 times
Quote:
I had to. For work. I've also heard it bad-mouthed by educated people from the Lower Midwest (Ohio River Valley)

So then, what kind of nightlife that can a politically correct city offer? I bet that quality of nightlife correlates positively with warm weather.
I've got a couple of comments:

1.) I didn't realize "educated people from the Lower Midwest" existed
2.) I don't understand what you mean by "politically correct city", but judging by your own admission that you have almost 0 experience with Minneapolis, I'm choosing not to take you too seriously, and suggest that West does the same.
3.) Minneapolis consistently ranks among the best in the country for QOL. Google it....google is your friend...

Old 05-08-2012, 08:56 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,078,017 times
Quote:
You need to clarify whether these are returnees. I seriously doubt someone who has spent most of their life in FL and CA will just choose to move to MN and fall in love with it.
I lived with a guy who came from the NYC area (lifelong) to Minneapolis, and now says he's never gonna leave. That's not FL or CA, though, I'll grant you....

Knew plenty of Chicago and Boston transplants, too, that said they were never leaving. I think your friends from the Ohio River Valley probably don't like the weather, progressive politics, and Northern outlook more than anything about the city amenities wise....I mean, I can't believe for a second that Minneapolis has worse nightlife than, say...Louisville, or Cincinnati....or Cairo

Old 05-08-2012, 09:56 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,131,392 times
Quote:
What the....is that a threat? I didn't think my question was that personal!

Old 05-08-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
I lived with a guy who came from the NYC area (lifelong) to Minneapolis, and now says he's never gonna leave. That's not FL or CA, though, I'll grant you....

Knew plenty of Chicago and Boston transplants, too, that said they were never leaving. I think your friends from the Ohio River Valley probably don't like the weather, progressive politics, and Northern outlook more than anything about the city amenities wise....I mean, I can't believe for a second that Minneapolis has worse nightlife than, say...Louisville, or Cincinnati....or Cairo
They are an attractive WASPy couple with top 10 to 20 MBAs. They would have blended right in, in terms of looks. They are very progressive. They've been involved in foreign volunteer work, are well-traveled and speak other languages. They are the kind of people who can strike up a sincere conversation with almost anyone, and come from working-class roots. What didn't they like? The "standard issue" passive-aggressive nature of the people, including their neighbors.

I just got my haircut today. The woman was Vietnamese. I asked her if she came directly to the West Coast. She said no. I asked her where she first settled. She said Minneapolis. I asked if she liked it. She said "no."

So many Atlanta nightspots and watering holes have terraces or patios that front the street. The living is easy and the weather is better. For many, it is a mecca to party, coming from small southern towns and/or the Bible Belt that were more restrictive. I can surely see the defensiveness that MPLS folks have here. Does the area poke fun at itself beyond we're "Minnesota Nice" and comparisons to "Fargo?" Is that the best it can do? Atlanta makes fun of itself constantly.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 05-08-2012 at 10:13 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 09:47 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,127,737 times
Quote:
Translation:

Since I have not experienced the nightlife in one city I will insult and use hyperbole to fill in for the factual.

Quote:
2.) I don't understand what you mean by "politically correct city", but judging by your own admission that you have almost 0 experience with Minneapolis, I'm choosing not to take you too seriously, and suggest that West does the same.
Seems to be his MO in a lot of threads, my guess is it needs attention.

Last edited by NorCal Dude; 05-08-2012 at 10:18 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
I've got a couple of comments:

1.) I didn't realize "educated people from the Lower Midwest" existed
3.) Minneapolis consistently ranks among the best in the country for QOL. Google it....google is your friend...
1) isn't that provincial, for someone enlightened?
2) West? You mean Min-Chi-Cbus?
3) this thread isn't about QOL...it's about nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City