Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 05:43 PM

978 posts, read 1,057,340 times

Advertisements

Discuss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 12:18 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
Louisville, KY in my experience, hands down. Clique "city" U.S.A.

I didn't enjoy living in Cincinnati and many people criticize its "very small town" culture, but I actually got along with my co-workers and new friends who were majoritatively natives or long-time residents. I do think it can be difficult to assimilate into local culture longer term unless you're a native or a long-timer, but I don't think it's meant to be spiteful to or demonstrate mistrust of "outsiders."

Old 05-09-2012, 08:23 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Louisville, KY in my experience, hands down. Clique "city" U.S.A.

I didn't enjoy living in Cincinnati and many people criticize its "very small town" culture, but I actually got along with my co-workers and new friends who were majoritatively natives or long-time residents. I do think it can be difficult to assimilate into local culture longer term unless you're a native or a long-timer, but I don't think it's meant to be spiteful to or demonstrate mistrust of "outsiders."
That's pretty sad, when two places that are fairly uninspiring would have to deal a cliquish blow to a newcomer as well.

This will turn out to be a controversial thread, so popcorn is in order. I'm tired and can't go into this, so I will await other posts.

However, I will say that the most "outsider FRIENDLY city," from my experience, is metro Houston TX. Nobody that I've known who has moved there has ever commented about not finding their niche and nice people to hang out with. When I have visited, I liked its vibe as well.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:52 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,126,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
However, I will say that the most "outsider FRIENDLY city," from my experience, is metro Houston TX. Nobody that I've known who has moved there has ever commented about not finding their niche and nice people to hang out with. When I have visited, I liked its vibe as well.
That's because Houston is a dynamic city that is full of outsiders. I think the more global and dynamic a city is the more friendly it is, by nature to outsiders. The more isolated cities, with fewer people moving in and out, are more insular and less friendly to outsiders.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:24 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
I would say most cities nowadays are actually pretty welcoming of newcomers as long as they dont have an attitude. I think the clique stuff is more a suburban thing, because I see that quite often in the suburbs.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:00 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
In my experience, Seattle.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:17 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
I had a very rough time in Saint Louis

Old 05-09-2012, 11:21 PM

886 posts, read 1,564,050 times
Seattle by a trillion miles, nothing can ever come close. EVER

Old 05-09-2012, 11:25 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,003 times
Ironically, some of the rudest cities are the one's filled with transients from other cities.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:34 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Seattle by a trillion miles, nothing can ever come close. EVER
Ok, I'll start now.

Seattle is the answer.

The funny thing is that Seattle is full of transplants, a major port, and a city with companies doing business globally. What happens is that the transplants assimilate to the Seattle code and become the same way. It is really dichotomous - living someplace that aesthetically appealing (which you think would make people happy) and being around such somber people. Those who trespass the Seattle code are corrected. I remember going to an undergrad alumni function in Seattle. I wound up talking to this married lady from Los Angeles, who moved up when her husband accepted a job there in the 1970s, long before any extensive amount of transplantation had occurred. She was telling me how she had to adjust her behavior there and, verbatim, "people flatline it here." She's right. Talk to the natives. There is zero voice modulation. If you modulate your speech, you're too emotive for Seattle. And yet they watch and laugh at "Seinfeld?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City