Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city ranks 2nd in the U.S. for cultural amenities behind NYC?
DC 22 9.05%
Chicago 77 31.69%
San Francisco 22 9.05%
Boston 14 5.76%
Philadelphia 15 6.17%
Los Angeles 81 33.33%
other 12 4.94%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 05:59 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
How is that surprising? Make a thread on here titled what do you hate about DC. 100 pages minimum!
Or how about repeated boosts of DC and then rational replies considered hate

hmmm wonder which it is in reality
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 06:14 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Or how about repeated boosts of DC and then rational replies considered hate

hmmm wonder which it is in reality
So:

NYC leads a list for business = not boosting and everybody happy

Dallas and Houston lead a list for job or population growth = not boosting and everybody happy

Miami and Vegas lead a list for partying = not boosting and everybody happy

Philadelphia lead a list for downtown growth and population = not boosting and everybody happy

Boston and San Fran lead a list for jobs in life science or education or income = not boosting and everybody happy

But........

O.....let DC even be listed on any single list in any possible subject

-DC is being boosted
-DC is not deserving
-DC shouldn't be listed on this list
-DC is a welfare city therefore is not really good in anything
-DC is boring and bland
-DC being ranked should be taken with a grain of salt because they are a welfare city
-DC should thank America for every single building ever built MSA wide because Americas tax dollars pays for every house and building in the whole DC area.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

I'm sorry, I get it. Don't post or say anything positive happening in DC. This website is only good for talking about great things happening in cities not named DC!

Old 05-11-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So:

NYC leads a list for business = not boosting and everybody happy

Dallas and Houston lead a list for job or population growth = not boosting and everybody happy

Miami and Vegas lead a list for partying = not boosting and everybody happy

Philadelphia lead a list for downtown growth and population = not boosting and everybody happy

Boston and San Fran lead a list for jobs in life science or education or income = not boosting and everybody happy

But........

O.....let DC even be listed on any single list in any possible subject

-DC is being boosted
-DC is not deserving
-DC shouldn't be listed on this list
-DC is a welfare city therefore is not really good in anything
-DC is boring and bland
-DC being ranked should be taken with a grain of salt because they are a welfare city
-DC should thank America for every single building ever built MSA wide because Americas tax dollars pays for every house and building in the whole DC area.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

I'm sorry, I get it. Don't post or say anything positive happening in DC. This website is only good for talking about great things happening in cities not named DC!

I think you are missing the point when comments are made that NO place after NYC offers as much as DC are made and people disagree they are hating; BTW it seems outside of two enthusiastic DC posters no one else is agreeing but everyone is a hater, ok carry on

Or a comment DC offer a lot and is one the tops in the US but not as much as Chicago; this again hating, ok, yep I follow

DC is probably more under a level of scrutiny and I do agree with the earlier post where the boosting of growth is a little distateful in the way served recently quite honestly, so that doesnt help the cause either; regardless no I absolutely do not see DC as the answer to the OPs question, so if that makes me a hater I can live with that

Old 05-11-2012, 09:09 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Schools send their kids to DC because its the capital of our country and it has national significance. That really has nothing to do with the OP's question, you are molding the question so it fits your answer.
This.

If I wanted to ask which city is most popular for fieldtrips for schoolchildren, then that's what I would have asked.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:00 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
I think you are missing the point when comments are made that NO place after NYC offers as much as DC are made and people disagree they are hating; BTW it seems outside of two enthusiastic DC posters no one else is agreeing but everyone is a hater, ok carry on

Or a comment DC offer a lot and is one the tops in the US but not as much as Chicago; this again hating, ok, yep I follow

DC is probably more under a level of scrutiny and I do agree with the earlier post where the boosting of growth is a little distateful in the way served recently quite honestly, so that doesnt help the cause either; regardless no I absolutely do not see DC as the answer to the OPs question, so if that makes me a hater I can live with that
So, you want to explain the responses to the many posts on this board with rankings containing many cities but including DC and yet, all the immediate posts are:

-DC is a welfare city
-more DC boosting
-DC shouldn't even be on this list
-etc
-etc

Exhibit #1
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...t-visited.html

Had anybody else posted this, they aren't boosting NYC, Boston, L.A. Etc., but if someone from DC posts this, ohhh.......here they go again posting something about DC!

Yet many other threads on here nobody says anything and those cities aren't boosting anything. Shoot, look at how many things are posted about Cleveland. I have read every single thread about them and have absolutely positively never heard any negativity or accusations of boosting.

Let someone from DC make a thread titled greatest revitalzations in a city and post all the great things that have finally caused DC to shed the title of Murder Capital for longer than a decade. The final turn around of Shaw in DC that burned to the ground after the Martin Luther King riots laying in waste for 50 years. You all need to wake up! The hate on this board is out of control! But, if you all hate us so much, just own up to it. As far as I'm concerned, it is what it is! You all go your way and we will go ours!

Old 05-14-2012, 07:00 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
No.... Why on earth would you even think such a thing?
You should change your name to Mr. Obvious.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:35 AM

857 posts, read 1,364,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
To me, it's between LA, Chicago, and DC. The other cities on this poll (SF, Philly, Boston) are great in many respects and have tons of great cultural amenities and attractions , but I don't see how one could argue they beat, LA, Chicago, or DC.
Thats because they dont. NYC is #1 LA is undeniably #2 (I dont see how anyone could argue that about LA) Chicago is #3 in my book but it could be argued by some I guess depending on the criteria. As for DC outside of Museums (Which still can be debated espically for Boston and Philly) What other cultural amenities it has over SF, Philly, Boston? (and MDAllstar and DC'sWorst please save it, Im not in the mood for crying. Unless you are going to provide info on exactly what cultural amenities it has over those cities)

Old 05-14-2012, 09:23 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Thats because they dont. NYC is #1 LA is undeniably #2 (I dont see how anyone could argue that about LA) Chicago is #3 in my book but it could be argued by some I guess depending on the criteria. As for DC outside of Museums (Which still can be debated espically for Boston and Philly) What other cultural amenities it has over SF, Philly, Boston? (and MDAllstar and DC'sWorst please save it, Im not in the mood for crying. Unless you are going to provide info on exactly what cultural amenities it has over those cities)

Go back a few pages and look at my list. Museums are only a small part of DC's attractions. You need to refute my list with a list of your own if you disagree. Saying that you disagree doesn't do it home slice.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Go back a few pages and look at my list. Museums are only a small part of DC's attractions. You need to refute my list with a list of your own if you disagree. Saying that you disagree doesn't do it home slice.

According to T&L and as posted in this thread

Quote:
According to Travel and Leisure

1. Philadelphia 4.62
2. NYC 4.61
3. DC 4.51
4. Boston 4.49
5. Chicago 4.47

America's Favorite Cities 2011 - Culture | Travel + Leisure

Old 05-14-2012, 09:47 AM

857 posts, read 1,364,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
You can reply with links to your claims, or a link to the post you're referring to. I'm not going through 17pgs of people ripping you and your buddy to shreds, trying to find a post that probably wont be worth it anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City