Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city ranks 2nd in the U.S. for cultural amenities behind NYC?
DC 22 9.05%
Chicago 77 31.69%
San Francisco 22 9.05%
Boston 14 5.76%
Philadelphia 15 6.17%
Los Angeles 81 33.33%
other 12 4.94%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 09:16 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I understand the distinction. I was addressing the notion of a DC arts scene in my initial post. My point was that Philadelphia has a wealth of art from the formal (i.e., Philadelphia Museum of Art, Barnes, Rodin) to the informal (i.e., Isaiah's Magic Garden, murals, street sculptures). DC has much of the former, but very little (if any) of the latter.

Quality of art is obviously in the eye of the beholder. There's a whole lot of street art that's not good, but there's also quite a bit that is very striking and creative. I don't think something necessarily has to be peer-reviewed by Yale-educated art critics to be considered "quality."
A strong art scene will also encourage lots and lots of small galleries, locally owned galleries throughout the city. In LA and NYC (I'm assuming Philly and Chicago too) that means there are galleries throughout the city, in every neighborhood (not just a designated museum row or gallery row or downtown). IMO that should definitely be a factor when judging a city's cultural amenities.

For instance, Santa Fe probably does not have excellent formal art museums, yet many people visit the city just to check out art galleries because the city has fostered such a strong artistic community. Santa Fe always comes in around the top of the list of best arts cities.

When traveling throughout the city, one thing that makes the experience much more enjoyable is an abundance of street art. Sure lots of it is of poor quality or not very clever - but still fun to look at, if only to laugh at it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 09:42 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,611 times
I picked LA, but if we want to get specific into different kinds of culture other cities like Chicago can certainly pull ahead.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:12 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Dispute what that you are sour; that all else is opinions?

on USA Today; about as useful as forbes or T&L etc. to me not like the NY Times or Washington Post or more sceintific analyses.

But USA Today is sort of the eye candy of news; lists are what they are. T&L ranked Philly ahead of NYC on cultural amentities (personally find strange) o they are what they are.

MD one thing is that in general you will not accept other viewpoints (we all do this) but as it relates to DC you do often contridict yourself to make points; I have pointed this out in many prior threads and it was done here as well and when people dont agree that DC is the number 2 you basically refuse to accept their assesment. I dont believe Philly to be #1 but can source it from T&L and I dont believe it to be #2 or #3 maybe #4. I also dont see DC as better than #4 to me probably a little lower but still great in this resepct.

DC is a great job producer, building like crazy and has a tone of cultural amantities; is tat its best attribute, IMHO no, is it bad in this regard, no

On DC and positive and negative connotations. Think about it this way; DC got all the jobs; but will also get the discourse associated with what produced the jobs. Get it a two way street and it isnt some utopia, not a bad at all either
No, dispute that you are unimportant and don't matter. I really couldn't care less about what you or anybody on here thinks. I was just thrown by people on here thinking their insignificant existence actually mattered to the point they could discredit anything coming from a national or international source. You see, no matter what you have been told your whole life about your voice actually mattering, the truth is, if your aren't somebody who does matter in the world, your voice doesn't matter. That is the reality of the situation.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:14 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
No, dispute that you are unimportant and don't matter.

well depends on whom you ask I suppose

Although I mattered enough to conjur a reply so I guess that is a start anyway; maybe things are looking up for me; glass is half full so to speak...

Old 05-15-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
This thread is like the massacre of MDAllstar..its actually kind of painful to watch. Although I admire that he's persistent, this is just a horrible painful death to witness. He should be smart and throw in the towel like his alter ego, DC'sBum.
There is no towel to throw in. Everyone can believe what they want. That is why it's an opinion. I was just saying how unimportant you all are and insignificant you all are. People on here are trying to discredit national and international sources like what they say out of their mouth anybody around the world actually cares about. It's the reason I asked who these people were in life? How many people would actually miss them if they were gone? Some people on here have a very delusional mirage going on in their head thinking that they actually matter that much. These debates on this board are cool or whatever. A chance to pass time during the day, but I think some people on here really believe what they say or think matters in the world.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
well depends on whom you ask I suppose

Although I mattered enough to conjur a reply so I guess that is a start anyway; maybe things are looking up for me; glass is half full so to speak...
I mean I don't matter either if that makes you feel better. My point is, we could talk for 1,000 pages if we wanted. Nobody cares around the world. So, people trying to give their opinion about an entity like USA today or any national source like they have the right to be mentioned in the same sentence is pretty funny.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
There is no towel to throw in. Everyone can believe what they want. That is why it's an opinion. I was just saying how unimportant you all are and insignificant you all are. People on here are trying to discredit national and international sources like what they say out of their mouth anybody around the world actually cares about. It's the reason I asked who these people were in life? How many people would actually miss them if they were gone? Some people on here have a very delusional mirage going on in their head thinking that they actually matter that much. These debates on this board are cool or whatever. A chance to pass time during the day, but I think some people on here really believe what they say or think matters in the world.
lots of irony here...

Old 05-15-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I mean I don't matter either if that makes you feel better. My point is, we could talk for 1,000 pages if we wanted. Nobody cares around the world. So, people trying to give their opinion about an entity like US today or any national source like they have the right to be mentioned in the same sentence is pretty funny.

mostly agree but we all make a concious choice to post or not post, to read or not to read etc.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
mostly agree but we all make a concious choice to post or not post, to read or not to read etc.
That's cool and like I said it's a way of passing time. It's here for some to give their opinions. I normally choose not to give mine and just post things that do matter from credible sources. Opinions are worthless which I have said before. People waste a ton of time on here arguing subjective things when the only thing that can be argued are things that are objective or provable facts based on data. When people give posts stating what they like instead of what source they are getting their data from, it immediately becomes worthless.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
lots of irony here...
Don't see what could be ironic because I don't give opinions. I only post objective things from data. Like for this thread:

I never debated quality because quality is subjective and can never be proven because of it.

Quantity however can be discussed. Visitors or attendance can be discussed.

Have you guys ever taken a debate class?

For example, you all seem to think I contradicted myself with the food argument in relation to cultural ammenties. I didn't though and here is why. Food is subjective. It is not quantifiable. No one person can ever say food in one place is better than another. The only thing that can be measured is types of food meaning uniqueness of food or how accessible that type of food is in one city compared to another city. The thing that can be proved based on objective arguments is quantity which is all I have been talking about. Every argument I make in life is based on data. I will listen to a subjective argument but it's never going to hold weight in a court of law or a an academic debate. That is why I don't waste my time with them. I never lose debates because of this. Anybody who knows anything about debating knows you can't use subjective material which is what all of you base your arguments off of for the most point. This thread is full of it which means its full of FAIL.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 05-15-2012 at 10:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City